Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2016 11:59:45 PM EDT
Slightly considering a G20 but i like Sigs much more. I saw a P220 DAK trade in for cheap. Made me think of using it for 45 super. I cant find much consensus as to how the P220 holds up to this. I figure at leas t stronger recoil spring. But also a heavier hammer spring will do a lot to slow down the slide. I have a factory threaded barrel. So a comp is a easy thing to do. Has anyone done one of these in 45 super or even 460? I want it for hiking in bear country. I know there are other options but lets explore the 220 option.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot 45 Super in my P220 regularly. Works and functions great, Buy a WOLFF extra power recoil spring and have at it. I have shot the same ammo (underwood 185gr 45 Super) out of my Springfield XDS, I wouldn't recommend it till someone makes an EPIC wpring upgrade for the XDS.

I have a lightweight hammer spring to lighten up the trigger pull and it works perfectly as well. I have shot 45 super out of my P220 ST, and my P220 Carry model. Both worked great with a spring upgrade. I did shoot the ST without the spring upgrade and it was fine. The gun seemed to shoot better with the heavy spring. I wasn't willing to try it on the P220 Carry till I got the stronger spring.

I talked to Clark Customs about a 460 Rowland on the phone a few days ago when I ordered a 460 Kit for my new 1911. They said FUCK NO. there's a reason they don't make a kit.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried it a few years back.  I bought the strongest recoil spring Wolff offered.  And I think I installed a recoil buffer.  It was all you could do to rack the slide.

The 45 Super (from Buffalo Bore) was so strong, that the slide was thrown back so fast, and bounced back so fast, that the magazine wasn't quick enough to present the next round to be stripped.  So you'd get a failure to feed.

Then I tried 10% extra power magazine springs, and that didn't solve the problem either.

I gave up after that.  The only other thing I could have done was buy a higher power hammer spring, that would have slowed the slide a little more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#3]
It's probably not a good idea, unless you have a stainless frame P220. I just don't think it is a good idea with an alloy frame.

I've been considering it for quite some time now, and may work on it if I manage to pick up a stainless frame P220.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's probably not a good idea, unless you have a stainless frame P220. I just don't think it is a good idea with an alloy frame.

I've been considering it for quite some time now, and may work on it if I manage to pick up a stainless frame P220.
View Quote

Works fine in my alloy frame carry model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top