Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2016 3:40:09 PM EDT
I have a 229 enhanced elite, it has the e2 grips with the 15 round mags. Will the aluminum grips that are found on the elite dark fit on my 229 without gun smithing ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
They should.

It should be a simple swap once you get the E2 grips off.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They should.

View Quote

Removing the E2 grips should be the toughest part of the process. Dont torque the grip panels too tight, it can hinder the mag dropping free.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Removing the E2 grips should be the toughest part of the process. Dont torque the grip panels too tight, it can hinder the mag dropping free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should.

Is there a tool I can buy to get them off? I saw something on sigs site but it looks like you have to buy the whole kit, I just want the tool.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been told a screwdriver will work, but the gun should have come with the black plastic tool. Personally, I would NOT use a screwdriver, but I've been told it will work.  Call Sig and see if they will sell you the tool by itself or if they have a preferred retailer for just the tool.

Spring tension is what keeps the E2 grips in place. They are 1 piece and are narrow enough that they just clamp into the indentations in the frame & magwell. There is nothing holding the grip in place but tension. The tool simply expands the grips out enough that you can pry them off with fingers,(a PITA), or yet another screwdriver ,(gently placed). I'm sure somebody sells the tool seperately, but I dont know who, sorry.

If you do find a vendor who sells just the tool, could you post the link here? I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been told a screwdriver will work, but the gun should have come with the black plastic tool. Personally, I would NOT use a screwdriver, but I've been told it will work.  Call Sig and see if they will sell you the tool by itself or if they have a preferred retailer for just the tool.

Spring tension is what keeps the E2 grips in place. They are 1 piece and are narrow enough that they just clamp into the indentations in the frame & magwell. There is nothing holding the grip in place but tension. The tool simply expands the grips out enough that you can pry them off with fingers,(a PITA), or yet another screwdriver ,(gently placed). I'm sure somebody sells the tool seperately, but I dont know who, sorry.

If you do find a vendor who sells just the tool, could you post the link here? I'd appreciate it.
View Quote

I'll Start looking around and post anything I find for you.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
It is really not some special "tool". All you need is something that will fit in the mag well that you can turn. I am sure you could find something around your house that could work. Maybe look at you tube to see how the tool is used to get an idea of what else you could use.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:42:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The tool was cost-prohibitive for me. I simply wedged two fingers in the mag well pushing in opposite directions.  That got part of it popped out, then just pried the rest.  PITA, but at least I'm not worrying about buggering screws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top