Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2016 12:27:32 PM EDT
I own 3 P320 Compacts that rotate through EDC, training/backup and nightstand duty a couple of times a year. Until recently, all have been 100% after a few thousand rds.

Recently switched to Blazer 124gr Brass as my training ammo (previous Blazer 115gr Aluminum had been 100%).

Last range trip I had a single FTE w/the Blazer Brass which, at the time, I attributed to the P320 being very dry and dirty (appx 600rds since the last clean/lube?).

I've got a handgun class coming up next weekend so I completely stripped, clean & lubed the P320 I was planning on using at the class.

Today I put 200rds of Blazer Brass through it and experienced 2 more FTE's, symptoms identical to the previous FTE (empty partially extracted), and all 3 were when using 17rd mags that I use for reloads.

The last time I had a FTE today I removed the mag, topped it off and tried it again but no FTE's that time around.

I don't know if it's the Blazer Brass or if my P320 isn't fully reliable w/17rd mags or if it's some sort of tolerance stacking between the ammo & mags.

Any ideas/suggestions? TIA!...

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only time I have experienced any trouble with mine was went it went dry

Try some Slip 2000 EWL, it doesn't burn off as fast

Remember wetter is better

Another thing I've done is put some Loctite C5A (Anti-Seize) on the rails
View Quote

Thx. I had just cleaned then lubed w/TW-25 grease on the rail and TW-25 oil elsewhere, so I doubt it had burned off in only 200rds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Been thinking about adding one of these pistols and in my research this seems to be a thing.  I just watched a video about a guy saying, if I recall correctly, was in the 3-5k fired rounds range and was having this issue.  He sent two of his pistols in and they changed out the extractor rod and spring.  Or at least some combination of the two.

Hope what little info that is helps.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Been thinking about adding one of these pistols and in my research this seems to be a thing.  I just watched a video about a guy saying, if I recall correctly, was in the 3-5k fired rounds range and was having this issue.  He sent two of his pistols in and they changed out the extractor rod and spring.  Or at least some combination of the two.

Hope what little info that is helps.
View Quote

Thx! I'm going to keep an eye out for this and test all 3 P320's w/the Blazer Brass to see if it's only the one P320 or all of them.
Tomac

ETA: It appears this is a known issue w/the P320 after a certain number of rds, fix is simply replacing the extractor spring (mine are older P320's, newer P320's may have the newer/improved extractor spring). I've ordered replacements from Brownells, I'll post the test results after installing the new extractor spring.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Replaced the extractor spring this morning and ran 150 FTE-free rds. Extractor is definitely harder to move by hand, so that's a good sign. I'll run several hundred more rds through this same P320 during a handgun class tomorrow and post the results.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ETA: It appears this is a known issue w/the P320 after a certain number of rds, fix is simply replacing the extractor spring (mine are older P320's, newer P320's may have the newer/improved extractor spring). I've ordered replacements from Brownells, I'll post the test results after installing the new extractor spring.
View Quote

Tomac,

I just attended a SIG P320 Armorer's Course.  The instructor made a few comments on the extractor assembly.  SIG updated one part of the assembly due to similar issues like you have mentioned.  

The Extractor Spring Pin has been updated on the newer models.  SIG lengthened this part by 1mm which puts just enough extra tension on the extractor to solve the issue.  Its the part that sticks out the back of the Rear Slide Cap, that is pushed down on to remove the Slide Cap.  Probably will need to contact SIG for that part.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tomac,

I just attended a SIG P320 Armorer's Course.  The instructor made a few comments on the extractor assembly.  SIG updated one part of the assembly due to similar issues like you have mentioned.  

The Extractor Spring Pin has been updated on the newer models.  SIG lengthened this part by 1mm which puts just enough extra tension on the extractor to solve the issue.  Its the part that sticks out the back of the Rear Slide Cap, that is pushed down on to remove the Slide Cap.  Probably will need to contact SIG for that part.  
View Quote

Thx for the info! I've ordered several of the Extractor Spring Pins and when they arrive I'll compare them to the ones I have now. Interestingly, the extractor springs I received from Brownells are slightly longer than the springs they replaced.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Took a handgun class yesterday and put another 350rds+ through the SIG w/the new extractor spring (now over 500rds), experienced no problems whatsoever.
Only time will tell if this is a permanent fix.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad to hear your problem seems to be fixed.

I have had my P320 Compact for sometime, so far no issues.

Make sure you give us an update overtime to make sure it is a long term fix.

Quoted:
Took a handgun class yesterday and put another 350rds+ through the SIG w/the new extractor spring (now over 500rds), experienced no problems whatsoever.
Only time will tell if this is a permanent fix.

Tomac
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Glad to hear your problem seems to be fixed.
I have had my P320 Compact for sometime, so far no issues.
Make sure you give us an update overtime to make sure it is a long term fix.
View Quote

Will do. I'm exempting this particular P320 from my usual EDC/nightstand/training rotation and will use it for training only as my test platform for the new extractor spring and possibly the new extractor spring pin.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
New extractor spring pins are exactly the same length as those in my older P320's. If SIG is going to make a 1mm longer version, it apparently hasn't reached Top Gun Supply yet.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
New extractor spring pins are exactly the same length as those in my older P320's. If SIG is going to make a 1mm longer version, it apparently hasn't reached Top Gun Supply yet.
Tomac
View Quote

That's disappointing. Maybe if you call Sig they'll be willing to exchange your current pin for one of their new longer ones? You would think they'd want people's guns to be as reliable as possible...
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's disappointing. Maybe if you call Sig they'll be willing to exchange your current pin for one of their new longer ones? You would think they'd want people's guns to be as reliable as possible...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomac

I'll do that and report what they tell me.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Spoke w/SIG CS yesterday, the nice gentleman I spoke with was unaware of any spring or ammo compatibility problems w/the P320.
The longer extractor springs I purchased from Brownells and installed in 3 of my P320's have all compressed to the same length as my OEM extractor springs and the new extractor springs I purchased from Top Gun Supply.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Spoke w/SIG CS yesterday, the nice gentleman I spoke with was unaware of any spring or ammo compatibility problems w/the P320.
The longer extractor springs I purchased from Brownells and installed in 3 of my P320's have all compressed to the same length as my OEM extractor springs and the new extractor springs I purchased from Top Gun Supply.

Tomac
View Quote

Thanks for reporting back. Hopefully these work better, maybe the originals were slightly defective? For a modern handgun it seems to me you should be able to get at least 5K rounds. 3K doesn't seem right
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for reporting back. Hopefully these work better, maybe the originals were slightly defective? For a modern handgun it seems to me you should be able to get at least 5K rounds. 3K doesn't seem right
View Quote

You're welcome. 3K rds? This particular P320 has only between 1,500-1,800 rds through it.
Regardless, it now has 650 trouble-free rds of Blazer Brass 124gr through it, I'll keep it lubed and keep track of the round count and see if I encounter this problem again.

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're welcome. 3K rds? This particular P320 has only between 1,500-1,800 rds through it.
Regardless, it now has 650 trouble-free rds of Blazer Brass 124gr through it, I'll keep it lubed and keep track of the round count and see if I encounter this problem again.

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Oh crap that's way too few rounds!! Thought I saw 3K somewhere. I've been transitioning to the 320 platform myself, but if that becomes an ongoing problem I don't think I'll be able to stick with it. I'm currently at about 500 rounds thru mine switching between 40 and 9 so we'll see. Unfortunately I don't get to shoot nearly as much as a lot of folks on here...
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:22:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh crap that's way too few rounds!! Thought I saw 3K somewhere. I've been transitioning to the 320 platform myself, but if that becomes an ongoing problem I don't think I'll be able to stick with it. I'm currently at about 500 rounds thru mine switching between 40 and 9 so we'll see. Unfortunately I don't get to shoot nearly as much as a lot of folks on here...
View Quote

I rotate my P320's so all 3 have appx the same number of rds through them and this is the only one I've encountered this with. I'm also a member at various SIG forums and except for two mentions on YouTube, no-one else has mentioned or heard of this problem, so it seems very rare.
Regardless, I don't plan on giving up on the P320 unless this crops up again and SIG is unwilling to do anything about it.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I rotate my P320's so all 3 have appx the same number of rds through them and this is the only one I've encountered this with. I'm also a member at various SIG forums and except for two mentions on YouTube, no-one else has mentioned or heard of this problem, so it seems very rare.
Regardless, I don't plan on giving up on the P320 unless this crops up again and SIG is unwilling to do anything about it.
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Oh good that makes me feel better. I'm loving this platform, got the compact 9mm and 40 slide with compact and subcompact grip modules and I have a full size 9mm on layaway at Cabelas. Still experimenting with the different combinations, but I like them all and I shoot them better than my Glocks. Weather is cooling down so looking forward to getting some classes in on them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Update: After more research, it appears SIG put out some P320's with out-of-spec extractor assembly parts.
While replacing the extractor spring appears to have fixed my FTE problem (now at 650 trouble-free rds), I've ordered new extractors to compare w/my original extractors (I already have new extractor spring pins).

Tomac
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks again for the updates. Good to know it's a simple fix if it happens
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Now at 850 trouble-free rds using only the Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ. I'll clean/lube at 1K rds then keep testing.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Now at 1,000 trouble-free rds fired w/o cleaning or lubing. Tomorrow I'll clean/lube and go back to testing as weather & finances allow.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now at 1,000 trouble-free rds fired w/o cleaning or lubing. Tomorrow I'll clean/lube and go back to testing as weather & finances allow.

Tomac
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Took my current nightstand P320 Compact to the range today (w/new extractor spring) where I put 350rds of the Blazer Brass 124gr through it. I had a single FTE at appx 300rds.
Now, I haven't touched this P320 in months since I last cleaned/lubed it prior to rotating it to nightstand duty.
Tomorrow I plan to break it down and carefully examine both the extractor pin and extractor proper to check for anything unusual like excessive wear or accumulated crud under the extractor claw.
Regardless of what I do/don't find, I might replace the extractor pin & extractor anyway then put more rds through it.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Took my current nightstand P320 Compact to the range today (w/new extractor spring) where I put 350rds of the Blazer Brass 124gr through it. I had a single FTE at appx 300rds.
Now, I haven't touched this P320 in months since I last cleaned/lubed it prior to rotating it to nightstand duty.
Tomorrow I plan to break it down and carefully examine both the extractor pin and extractor proper to check for anything unusual like excessive wear or accumulated crud under the extractor claw.
Regardless of what I do/don't find, I might replace the extractor pin & extractor anyway then put more rds through it.

Tomac
View Quote

Installed a new extractor and put 300rds through it this morning, experienced 15 FTE's (?!) w/ejected brass going all over the place (even to the left!). I've reinstalled the original extractor for now and will contact SIG about this.
SIG P320 Compacts seem to have a problem w/Blazer Brass (go figure), I would expect a handgun to run any quality ammo w/o problem.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Installed a new extractor and put 300rds through it this morning, experienced 15 FTE's (?!) w/ejected brass going all over the place (even to the left!). I've reinstalled the original extractor for now and will contact SIG about this.
SIG P320 Compacts seem to have a problem w/Blazer Brass (go figure), I would expect a handgun to run any quality ammo w/o problem.

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Tomac

Jeez this really sucks man!! I hope they can get you sorted out. Shouldn't be this much function issue with a 320. I will definitely be running more rounds thru mine and see how they do....
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Jeez this really sucks man!! I hope they can get you sorted out. Shouldn't be this much function issue with a 320. I will definitely be running more rounds thru mine and see how they do....
View Quote

This issue seems to affect only P320 Compacts using Blazer Brass ammo (regardless of weight).
I just got off the phone w/SIG CS, they want me to check w/CCI about any problems (which I don't expect since this appears to be a specific handgun/ammo issue) since SIG supposedly uses Blazer Brass for their testing, and if not they want me to send them all my Compacts for inspection/testing.

My P320 Compacts have eaten everything else I've fed them (Fiocchi, GECO, Hornady, Blazer Aluminum, etc), it's strange they should have problems w/only this particular brand of ammo.
I haven't lost faith in the P320 since this is the only ammo & problem I've encountered, but I would like to fix it if possible (I have a couple of cases of the Blazer Brass 124gr).

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
[

This issue seems to affect only P320 Compacts using Blazer Brass ammo (regardless of weight).
I just got off the phone w/SIG CS, they want me to check w/CCI about any problems (which I don't expect since this appears to be a specific handgun/ammo issue) since SIG supposedly uses Blazer Brass for their testing, and if not they want me to send them all my Compacts for inspection/testing.

My P320 Compacts have eaten everything else I've fed them (Fiocchi, GECO, Hornady, Blazer Aluminum, etc), it's strange they should have problems w/only this particular brand of ammo.
I haven't lost faith in the P320 since this is the only ammo & problem I've encountered, but I would like to fix it if possible (I have a couple of cases of the Blazer Brass 124gr).

Tomac
View Quote

Gotcha. It is weird it'd be with just the one brand of ammo they do their own testing with. I have used blazer brass on many occasions and with many different guns and never had a problem with it. In fact I MAY have used a little bit of it with my 320s. Even so, I almost bought a case of it a couple days ago and I'm glad I didn't just yet. I'm glad your guns are working perfectly fine with other ammo though. Thanks for all the updates, it's good to be aware of potential issues
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I recently purchased a P320c and put 250 rounds through it. First 100 were Winchester white box, no issue. Next 150 Blazer brass, multiple failure to extract.  Around  8-10. Did a complete detail strip/clean/lube and shot another 200 Blazer brass.  No failures. I don't feel like I can trust this gun for carry right now.  I also have an issue with this gun shooting low. Like 4-5 inches low.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I recently purchased a P320c and put 250 rounds through it. First 100 were Winchester white box, no issue. Next 150 Blazer brass, multiple failure to extract.  Around  8-10. Did a complete detail strip/clean/lube and shot another 200 Blazer brass.  No failures. I don't feel like I can trust this gun for carry right now.  I also have an issue with this gun shooting low. Like 4-5 inches low.
View Quote

Blazer Brass seems to be the only ammo the P320 Compact has trouble with, everything else I've tried has been 100% (including appx 100rds of my carry Hornady Critical Duty).
SIG's are known for shooting low if you use a 6 o'clock hold, supposedly they're set up for a 'combat hold' where you place the sights in the middle of the bullseye instead of just under it.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Blazer Brass seems to be the only ammo the P320 Compact has trouble with, everything else I've tried has been 100% (including appx 100rds of my carry Hornady Critical Duty).
SIG's are known for shooting low if you use a 6 o'clock hold, supposedly they're set up for a 'combat hold' where you place the sights in the middle of the bullseye instead of just under it.

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

Thanks for the feedback.  I do admit that all my FTEs were with Blazer brass, I just don't like it, lol.  The G19 I had before this never had an issue and ate anything.  I like the way this gun feels and holds a good bit more, but ultimately I need it to be reliable more than anything.  I use a POI hold as well, not 6 O'clock.  To hit bullseye, I have to hold over.  I think I can clean that up with a sight change though.
It is reassuring to know that your have solved your FTE issue.  It gives me hope,......I really like this gun
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm wondering what specifically the deal is with the Blazer Brass ammo. Is it an OAL or a power issue? Is it considered weak compared to others? I'm seeing it constantly being the cheapest of the mainstream brass ammo offerings, so I'm wondering what corners are being cut there. But like others have said I've never had an issue with that ammo in any gun so it's very weird and surprising to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm wondering what specifically the deal is with the Blazer Brass ammo. Is it an OAL or a power issue? Is it considered weak compared to others? I'm seeing it constantly being the cheapest of the mainstream brass ammo offerings, so I'm wondering what corners are being cut there. But like others have said I've never had an issue with that ammo in any gun so it's very weird and surprising to me.
View Quote

I'm not sure what the problem is.  I don't think it's a power issue, the slide functions properly.  All my FTE look the same, empty brass does not extract and slide tries to return to battery sending a live round into the back of the non extracted case effectively jamming the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top