Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
So with just the bare frame, there is a decent amount of movement on the magazine.  But with an assembled frame there is very little mag wobble and if I shake the whole firearm you can't hear anything move.  You have to rock the mag back and forth with your fingers for it to make noise.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Matrix frame is a P228/P226 (old style 13rd P229 9mm) profile magwell.  The step side .40/.357 and P229-1 mags will not fit.

You can make a .40 with that frame but you have to use P226 mags with it and the x grip or just let them hang the 1/4 or so inches below the grip.

Matrix frames.

P226 in magwell on left P228 in magwell on right.

edit for pics
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Matrix frame is a P228/P226 (old style 13rd P229 9mm) profile magwell.  The step side .40/.357 and P229-1 mags will not fit.

You can make a .40 with that frame but you have to use P226 mags with it and the x grip or just let them hang the 1/4 or so inches below the grip.

Matrix frames.

P226 in magwell on left P228 in magwell on right.

edit for pics

Quoted:
So with just the bare frame, there is a decent amount of movement on the magazine.  But with an assembled frame there is very little mag wobble and if I shake the whole firearm you can't hear anything move.  You have to rock the mag back and forth with your fingers for it to make noise.

Thanks guys!  When I get my parts kits, I'll order some frames/build-jig kit.  This looks like a really neat project.  My son loves building things and this would be a great thing to do together.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There shouldon't be but I can check here shortly.
View Quote

I'm sure there will be a build thread in here for this.  It would be great if those of you who know what you're doing participated.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
For the visual folks.

MAGS: P226, then P228, P229-1 9mm, P229 .40/.357 mags

P229-1 mag inserted until it fails to go farther in a Matrix frame but you'll get this same result in a P228, older P229 9mm, or P226 if you try.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm sure there will be a build thread in here for this.  It would be great if those of you who know what you're doing participated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There will be. I just don't know when I'll get around to it. Maybe this week, maybe not. Really want to get some work done on my motorcycle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Copes had these kits in stock yesterday and I tried ordering but their system wouldn't accept three separate credit cards that I tried using. Now the kits are out of stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There will be. I just don't know when I'll get around to it. Maybe this week, maybe not. Really want to get some work done on my motorcycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.

Do you know if it is possible to home hard coat anodize and dye these frames?  

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Copes had these kits in stock yesterday and I tried ordering but their system wouldn't accept three separate credit cards that I tried using. Now the kits are out of stock.
View Quote

That sucks.  I sent them an email to see if they are getting any more in.

ETA:  Just got an email back and it was their last shipment.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Cool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool.

You could but you will have to create a cooling system to keep the bath pretty cold during the process.

I'm probably going to just Type 2 them without dye and then cerakote.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You could but you will have to create a cooling system to keep the bath pretty cold during the process.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool.

Can you do home cerakote or is it something you would send out?  Are AR-15 receivers Type 2'd and cerakoted?

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By C-4

Can you do home cerakote or is it something you would send out?  Are AR-15 receivers Type 2'd and cerakoted?

View Quote

I'll do them at home.

And AR receivers are often type 3. Sometimes a thick type 2
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll do them at home.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By C-4

I'll do them at home.

Good.  I'd really rather do this myself.  I have zero experience completing an 80% receiver/frame, but I have a degree in chemistry so chemicals are not a problem for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Good.  I'd really rather do this myself.  I have zero experience completing an 80% receiver/frame, but I have a degree in chemistry so chemicals are not a problem for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By C-4

I'll do them at home.

I'm a half retarded former 11B and I figured it out...so it ain't rocket surgery
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm a half retarded former 11B and I figured it out...so it ain't rocket surgery
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By C-4

I'll do them at home.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
So a couple guys over on reddit got David at Matrix Precision to open up a group buy on his P229 frames.

Hey everyone!
So I have been in communication with David at Matrix Precision and he has added a special Discount Code for us to use on the P228/229 %80 Frames! Also his shipping is SUPER reasonable. So if you had included my shipping and the paypal fees that you would have had to pay to me, this is right at the same price point.
The Code Expires on the 31st of this month! Don't wait to the last minute!
The Code is "SPECIAL20"
I have already put in my order and have confirmed that the discount code works properly. My total for 3 frames was $665.25 shipped to my door.

This code is only good for the single count frames.  Any order with any other parts using the code will be cancelled.

Link for Reddit
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So a couple guys over on reddit got David at Matrix Precision to open up a group buy on his P229 frames.

Hey everyone!

So I have been in communication with David at Matrix Precision and he has added a special Discount Code for us to use on the P228/229 %80 Frames! Also his shipping is SUPER reasonable. So if you had included my shipping and the paypal fees that you would have had to pay to me, this is right at the same price point.

The Code Expires on the 31st of this month! Don't wait to the last minute!

The Code is "SPECIAL20"

I have already put in my order and have confirmed that the discount code works properly. My total for 3 frames was $665.25 shipped to my door.

This code is only good for the single count frames.  Any order with any other parts using the code will be cancelled.

Link for Reddit
View Quote

Wow that is a good price.  I managed to snag my 3 frames for $648 as part of a larger order when they had a sale going on and I added a .mil discount to it.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#17]
It looks like it comes down to close to the same price as a 5-pack but you get a quantity discount for buying fewer.  Good deal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]

I went through my kits and fortunately I don't have any missing pieces except for 2 grip screws in one kit but the P228 "parts kit" from Sig Sauer has springs and replacement grip screws so it's irrelevant.  I'm surprised they were able to keep all the pieces together.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top