Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2016 3:33:05 PM EDT
New one at gun shop. What is your guys opions?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
An overly large single stack nine with a brutal price tag.  Had an earlier P-6.  Liked it well enough but it didn't do anything my 228 did better so off it went.

I'm sure the new ones are nice pistols.  I just can't see what market niche it's trying to fill.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An overly large single stack nine with a brutal price tag.  Had an earlier P-6.  Liked it well enough but it didn't do anything my 228 did better so off it went.

I'm sure the new ones are nice pistols.  I just can't see what market niche it's trying to fill.
View Quote

This

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The Original P225 and P6 were large but reliable and accurate single stack 9mm's.
They have a solid following that loves the gun and was sad to see Sig discontinue them. When they were announced as being reintroduced as a P225A1, that following was cautiously optimistic that this meant new magazines and parts would be available again.

Then Sig told everyone that none of the parts are the same or are interchangable with the old guns.

However, the P225A1 (new one), magazines are actually P239 mags with a different base plate.

The original P225 fans are not happy, but the new P225A1 has gotten good reviews.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a P239 that looks different.  

Not necessarily a bad thing, but not my thing.  I have three 9mm P239s.  Have zero interest in the 225A1
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Gonna pass then. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I like them. I have not shot one yet but I would buy one if they dropped the price. I hate the feel of the 239 in my hand and never bought one because of this. I will never buy a 239 now because of the 225-A1. The new 225 feels so much better in the hand then a 239. Would I choose to buy the 225-A1 as a carry gun over other choices, no I would not. But the 225 is smaller and thinner and lighter then a 229. Not by much but enough. In my opinion, this would be a nice range gun for the wife or somebody with smaller hands to shoot.

One thing about the price in keep in mind is the gun comes with Hogue G10 checked grips. These run about $100 or more for a P229. I have seen 225-A1s as low as $800 to $850.  If the price would drop some, I would buy one.

Oh and I hate the stupid looking SIG thing in the middle of the grips.

Just my opinions.

EDIT- and to add to what somebody else already pointed out. A lot of negativity towards this gun simply because SIG used the name 225-A1  when it is not a true 225. The 225 fans were disappointed because of this. I have yet to see any negative reviews on the gun beyond its not a true 225 or the price. I think this gun is much improved feeling over the original 225.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Find a surplus one for $400. The new ones are priced insanely. That said, one of the greatest single stack 9s, just can't keep up with the newer ones in terms of concealment. It is slightly bigger than the 239 and much more shootable.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one and really like it. Slim and feels good in the hand. Has been 100% reliable with about 500 rounds through it. Only complaint is that I can only find magazines at the SIG Pro Shop and so far, no model specific holsters that I like. I have used a kydex holster that I use for my M11-A1, by tightening up the retaining screw.

I like this pistol much better that the 239. To me, it seems to have a better balance to it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One thing about the price in keep in mind is the gun comes with Hogue G10 checked grips.
View Quote

That's one of the things that turned me off about it.  You have to keep an eye on those grips or they'll shoot loose.  Tighten those screws too many times and you'll strip out the frame as Sig just threads straight into aluminum with no bushings.  

Sig frames are aluminum and need soft grips to stay tight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's one of the things that turned me off about it.  You have to keep an eye on those grips or they'll shoot loose.  Tighten those screws too many times and you'll strip out the frame as Sig just threads straight into aluminum with no bushings.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing about the price in keep in mind is the gun comes with Hogue G10 checked grips.

Are you talking all Hogue grips or just the G10? I have used the rubber grip panels for at least 18 years now on my SIGs and have never ever had one shoot loose. However, I just got some G10s and have not shot with them yet.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you talking all Hogue grips or just the G10? I have used the rubber grip panels for at least 18 years now on my SIGs and have never ever had one shoot loose. However, I just got some G10s and have not shot with them yet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G10 and aluminum or micarta ar anything hard.  I used to fix 1911 bushings almost weekly from those ridiculous grips.  They kill the shit out of Sig frames.  

Sig grip screws themselves are short.  There's only maybe 4 threads of engagement to start with.  Add grips that don't compress like plastic or wood and they shoot loose.  I saw one Sig frame where a guy tried to lock-tit the grip screws to keep aluma-grips from shooting loose and it broke the whole threaded part of the frame out.  

On my Sig grips I use Vibra-Tite VC-3 on the grip screws and stock plastic grips.  I install them with very light two finger torque and then basically try to never take 'em off.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#12]

G10 and aluminum or micarta ar anything hard.  I used to fix 1911 bushings almost weekly from those ridiculous grips.  They kill the shit out of Sig frames.  

Sig grip screws themselves are short.  There's only maybe 4 threads of engagement to start with.  Add grips that don't compress like plastic or wood and they shoot loose. I saw one Sig frame where a guy tried to lock-tit the grip screws to keep aluma-grips from shooting loose and it broke the whole threaded part of the frame out.  

On my Sig grips I use Vibra-Tite VC-3 on the grip screws and stock plastic grips.  I install them with very light two finger torque and then basically try to never take 'em off.  

View All Quotes

Quoted:

Sig grip screws themselves are short.  There's only maybe 4 threads of engagement to start with.  Add grips that don't compress like plastic or wood and they shoot loose. I saw one Sig frame where a guy tried to lock-tit the grip screws to keep aluma-grips from shooting loose and it broke the whole threaded part of the frame out.  

The comment in red above is a little disconcerting for me. I just purchased a set of Hogue G10's for my M11-A1 and put a small drop of Blue Locktitie on them. I wanted something thinner than the original grips, which kept coming loose after every range session. Would you mind sharing what model SIG had this failure?

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#13]

I have several different Sig pistols and most of them have had issues with the grips coming loose.  I used blue Loctite and it seems to have solved the problem.  My 229 in .40 was awful about coming loose with the stock plastic grips and even the Crimson Trace grips had problems as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I had sig aluminum grips on my 228 and never had a problem.  As I look over new grips screws as I am changing the aluminum grips to my m11a1 there is some red on them.  I thought that was locktite.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I dont understand it.  I had a P6 and sold it.  If i wanted a single stack 9mm sig in that size id get a 239.  I have a 239 and never use it.  With that being said, i dont understand the 239 either.  You can get essentially the same capacity at a much smaller size with the S&W M&P Shield.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Find a surplus one for $400.

Those don't exist anymore.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dont understand it.  I had a P6 and sold it.  If i wanted a single stack 9mm sig in that size id get a 239.  I have a 239 and never use it.  With that being said, i dont understand the 239 either.  You can get essentially the same capacity at a much smaller size with the S&W M&P Shield.
View Quote

Sometimes it has nothing to do with capacity.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys think this is a good idea for someone with a 10rd limit,  or just get a 229 with neutered mags,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top