Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 11:14:23 PM EDT
From internal extractors to external in the P series guns? I have only owned three a late 80's P220, a early 90's P229 and a mid 2000's P220 Elite SA only. All have the internal.

Why was the change made and what do you prefer, if you've owned both.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait a minute now that I think about it, my old 229 did have a external extractor. So I guess I am just referring to the P220's.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a P220 in the last like 8 years or so and it had the internal extractor. A few years later I sent it off to sig for a rebuild package(they will run a special from time to time for 120 bucks or so they will install night sights, replace all springs, etc on the gun) and the srt trigger upgrade as it was discounted with the other work. They replaced my slide with one with the external extractor as they were having issues with the internal ones.

I didn't have any issues with my internal extractor. I used my p220 in idpa and it had thousands of rounds through it. That being said I haven't had any issues with the external one either.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
No definite dates.  

I had two folded slide, internal extractor P226Rs with matching triple serial numbers in made in 2012...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
The external extractors first appeared in the early 2000's with the start of US production. The change was made due to SIG choosing to machine the slides (CNC milled) from a solid blank instead of the old stamped/welded construction method. This was chosen because CNC machining had become less expensive to setup, and is definitely more versatile for production changes.

As has been stated, SIG continued to produce P series pistols with stamped slides and internal extractors, at least in limited runs.

In general, neither design is better/worse than the other. I have owned (and continue to own) both.

Getting into specifics, there are at least 3 distinct production models of external extractors which have been used, and they DO differ in quality, due to differing methodology in both manufacturing and quality control.

Here's the rundown of the external extractor variations:

1) Original external extractors - cast, extremely high quality, definitely equal in performance and reliability to the original internal extractors.

2) MIM external extractors, short version - MIM, higher rate of failure. Rejected for MIL contracts during its debut in 2004.

3) MIM external extractors, long version (current production) - MIM, lower rate of failure than #2, but still not as good as #1. Physically much larger.

Idk about the short extractors they use today on the MK25. They're either #2, a newer improved version of #2, or they went back to casting them. I lack intel on that. All mine are either #1 (cast) or the old internal style. I personally will not buy a SIG with #2 or 3, but plenty of people do, and many without problems.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The external extractors first appeared in the early 2000's with the start of US production. The change was made due to SIG choosing to machine the slides (CNC milled) from a solid blank instead of the old stamped/welded construction method. This was chosen because CNC machining had become less expensive to setup, and is definitely more versatile for production changes.

As has been stated, SIG continued to produce P series pistols with stamped slides and internal extractors, at least in limited runs.

In general, neither design is better/worse than the other. I have owned (and continue to own) both.

Getting into specifics, there are at least 3 distinct production models of external extractors which have been used, and they DO differ in quality, due to differing methodology in both manufacturing and quality control.

Here's the rundown of the external extractor variations:
1) Original external extractors - cast, extremely high quality, definitely equal in performance and reliability to the original internal extractors.
2) MIM external extractors, short version - MIM, higher rate of failure. Rejected for MIL contracts during its debut in 2004.
3) MIM external extractors, long version (current production) - MIM, lower rate of failure than #2, but still not as good as #1. Physically much larger.

Idk about the short extractors they use today on the MK25. They're either #2, a newer improved version of #2, or they went back to casting them. I lack intel on that. All mine are either #1 (cast) or the old internal style. I personally will not buy a SIG with #2 or 3, but plenty of people do, and many without problems.

View Quote

I have about 10K rounds through a few 9mms with the MIM external and haven't had any problems. Never had any problems with the old internals either.  Haven't heard anything bad about the new long ones, but no personal experience.

I'm sticking with the short external since Gray Guns is making a machined replacement.  I plan on picking up a few just to try and have as spares.  A couple of Sig armorers I hold in pretty high regard said the newer MOM short ones should last the lifetime of the gun.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Why?   Economics!

Same reason why glock has external extractors.  $$$$
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top