Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2016 6:22:45 PM EDT
Sig P220 barrel.  Rifling good on one side, barrel polished smooth on the other:

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, had to be a bad heat treat, to leave one side soft enough to wear off like that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Cleaning rod damage?????
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That's from chanting the Rifle sideways.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I honestly think more rifle barrels are ruined by cleaning than shooting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a pistol and I'd sooner be found guilty of having filthy guns than over cleaning them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's a pistol and I'd sooner be found guilty of having filthy guns than over cleaning them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had my moneys worth from it then I wouldnt feel so bad but there was something wrong
and I would send it to sig just for shits and giggles to see how they explain it. hell maybe they
offer you a discount on a new one.
I wouldn't bitch and moan but ask them in a serious way whats their opinion as to why this happened.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#7]
how far down the barrel does it look like that?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
how far down the barrel does it look like that?
View Quote

Don't know. Gunsmith it has it and sent the pics.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Out of curiosity, do you ever shoot non-jacketed rounds?  I don't know what lead deposits actually look like, but it makes more sense to be that you'd get build up than shoot out a barrel. How many rounds have you out through the pistol?
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Manufacturing defect.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, do you ever shoot non-jacketed rounds?  I don't know what lead deposits actually look like, but it makes more sense to be that you'd get build up than shoot out a barrel. How many rounds have you out through the pistol?
View Quote

Never.  All my reloads are, or have been, either Precision Delta, Hornady, or Berry's 230gn FMJ/plated.  No idea how many rounds but it's 7 or 8 years old and the gun has seen some use for sure.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Manufacturing defect.
View Quote
It's got to be this. No bullet or cleaning would wear on one side only. Perhaps it's slightly out of round? And the rifling tool head couldn't reach the elongated side of the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Manufacturing defect.
View Quote

I agree, got to be a defect
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, whatever the cause, the smith has informed me a new barrel will be $200 plus shipping
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I would contact the manufacturer and see what they have to say.  David
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Call Sig. I had a P229 barrel that had a small rust pit in it. They sent me a new barrel no questions asked. This was a CPO gun about ten years ago.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
before you pop for a new barrel, call SIG
View Quote

I intend to.  For $200 it's definitely worth a try.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#19]
How old is the barrel?  Approx round count?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Manufacturing defect - you can see the crown doesn't even reach the "worn" side of the barrel, it's just a flat ledge surface there.  Do you know if this gun had sights adjusted to one extreme to make it shoot straight?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#21]
So, got the gun back.  The barrel is definitely shot out from about 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock.  But only at the muzzle end.  This is the best pic I can get with my iPotato.  Not even worth posting I know.

Gunsmith says a new barrel is a drop-in part so if I can't get satisfaction from SIG I can just buy a new barrel.  No fitting needed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#22]
So, SIG wants me to ship my gun to them so they can determine if the barrel is a warranty issue... Should I bother or do you think I should just buy a new barrel?  What's your guess how things will turn out?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Send it to SIG. I don't see any downside.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I could pay for shipping back and forth and they might tell me to pound sand.  That's what I'm worried about.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well, I could pay for shipping back and forth and they might tell me to pound sand.  That's what I'm worried about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear you, but it seems so unlikely that they wouldn't fix it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, SIG wants me to ship my gun to them so they can determine if the barrel is a warranty issue... Should I bother or do you think I should just buy a new barrel?  What's your guess how things will turn out?
View Quote

Can you send just the barrel?  That would be a lot cheaper and easier.z
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From SIG:

"I’ve forwarded the pictures to my supervisor, but just a couple of things I need to ask. What kind of ammo have you been shooting? Any unjacketed cast lead bullets, reloads, or bimetal jacket? There is some heavy gouging down the barrel even on the un-damaged side. Is there any noticeable damage/bend to the outside of the barrel? Any damage to the outside of the gun?

We would definitely want to bring the gun in to evaluate it to see if we can find out what may have caused that kind of wear. Truth be told barrels are wear out items, so I’m not sure what we’d be able to cover under the warranty for you, but we’d definitely be happy to bring in the gun for evaluation.

I’m sorry I can’t give you a more solid answer, I have more questions now than before I saw the pictures.

xxxxxx xxxxxxx
Customer Service Representative"
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't send it.

Today I got a SIG Store e-mail - they're having a 20% off sale so just bought a new barrel for $172 shipped.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#29]
It looks the the bore is off center.  Could that have done it?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It looks the the bore is off center.  Could that have done it?
View Quote
That's what I think happened. And when they cut the rifling the tool couldn't reach the far side of the bore.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Barrel arrived today.

Barrel shape is a bit different just after the chamber:

Significant difference in the hoods:

Fits tight.  Way tighter than the original ever was; takes a little effort to remove it from the slide during disassembly.  But hand-cycling is easy; seems to function fine.

Has been detail stripped and cleaned, had all the springs replaced, had a trigger job done, and now has a new barrel.  Can't wait to shoot it.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you going to send the old barrel back to SIG?  Maybe they will refund the money you spent for a replacement barrel.  That is not right to wear out so soon in such an unusual pattern.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#33]
New barrel seems to work just fine.

10 rounds / 7 yards / off hand -

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top