Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2015 12:47:45 AM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up a P229 DAK police trade in. Never tried one but looking for something different. From what I have read its similar to the trigger pull of a revolver. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about picking up a P229 DAK police trade in. Never tried one but looking for something different. From what I have read its similar to the trigger pull of a revolver. Is that correct?
View Quote

no, the P250 has a revolver like pull.  Spend some time using google and site:sigtalk.com DAK
Seriously, I'd look around for a 229 trade in DA/SA for the simple fact of increased resale value alone.  I got my 229 DA/SA .357 SIG from CDNN for $364 shipped.  I media blasted the slide and now have a great looking two tone.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
No, a revolver has a much heavier pull. The DAK is similiar in the fact it is a long pull but it is lighter.  Also once you have completed the first round the DAK has an intermediate point to prevent you from short stroking the trigger.  See the explication below
The DAK (Double Action Kellerman) system has an intermediate reset which provides the ability of the user of being able to fire the pistol in the event the user short strokes the trigger during a critical incident. The trigger pull for the system is 6.5 lbs. in full DAO (Double Action Only) and increases to 8 lbs. if the trigger is pulled from the intermediate short reset position.

Sig recommends and trains so that the system is to be used as DAO (Double Action Only). You will see that they only list the 6.5 lbs. trigger pull in DA on their DAK models specifications sheets. They recommend that users should be trained to fire the pistol by utilizing the full double action trigger stroke so that the trigger is a consistent 6.5 lbs.

They have heard of some departments who do not understand what the system is suppose to be for and have been training their officers to use the short stroke after the initial full trigger pull. This is incorrect. But many people grain this way.  

With proper training the DAK trigger system is an excellent SD Set up but you have to train and get use to it because it's very different from most Manuel of arms. Most people however don't want to learn the nuances of it.  I personally prefer the da/sa but lately am very interested in the DAK or LEM trigger by HK.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
DAK is a softer double action. Its not like a revolver. I personally like it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
As noted above, it's alot lighter than a revo, and the DA of a DA/SA Sig.   I recently picked one up, my prob with it is the longish reset as compared to my other Sigs is follow up shots seem alot slower, especially since my other Sigs have SRT's.  I could certainly see it as an advantage in a SD scenario, but for competition, it's NG for me. If you ever find yourself on the east end of LI, feel free to look me up, you can check it out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Despise the DAK trigger; was forced to carry one for work, and was able to replace it with a Glock 17. My qual scores dropped an average of 20 points, no matter how much I practiced with it. The funny thing is I carried a Sig 229 DAO for three years and I shot the gun dead on. The Sig 229 DAO was a personal weapon, and was converted back to DA/SA with the SRT Trigger by Sig. Trigger pull is worlds apart. If I ever was to acquire a DAK Sig, I would send it to Sig to have it converted to DA/SA with SRT Trigger update.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a DAK trigger installed in a 229. I hated it and switched it back to da/sa. Long pull, horrible reset.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
No one has ever been able to really provide a reason for DAK that makes sense to me. The long but relatively light DA makes sense. It's the two reset points that don't. The first reset point is a shortened but harder pull. The full reset returns to the long relatively light pull. I have no problem understanding the function, it's the purpose. Someone already said to prevent short stroking, but that would be more easily accomplished by DA/SA, especially with an SRT.  The other reason often given is to prevent unintentional double taps (complete opposite of the first reason, if you ask me), which is solved by going normal DAO. To me, DAK makes follow up shots harder, not easier and serves no usefulness. Interesting design, but not useful.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Two reset points,  the shorter of the two is heavier.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a dark p229 for a short while - even installed a gray guns trigger in it - I wanted to like it but just couldn't shoot well with it - the the two reset points kind of drove me crazy - I think HKs LEM trigger is a better design -
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the feedback. I passed on the DAK trigger. Might go for 320 if I can find one for a good price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top