Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2015 9:52:04 PM EDT
I've owned this p228 for a while now, it's a triple serial matching West German, kd date code.  It's Israeli surplus from the looks of things, and has no import marks at all, so it's kind of neat.

It's clearly seen quite a few rounds, and probably wasn't greased too much.  The rails are pretty much all worn down to sliver, as is much of the barrel finish.  The slide had been parked, and the frame had been refinished with some type of paint finish prior to me buying it.  It shoots great though, and isn't too rattly.

Before anyone links me the Greyguns page, I've seen that.  I've also seen the thread Henderson defense made where their rental p226 frame lasted over 150k before cracking.

So I suppose my question is, realistically how concerned should I be about this?  From what I've read, opinions on the internet range from "no big deal, just shoot it" to "the sky is falling" in regards to Sig slide rail wear.

I don't put a whole lot of rounds through it, and keep it well greased when I do.  I probably won't ever sell it, and will keep shooting it until it falls apart, no concern with potential resale value.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#1]
you'll be fine
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#2]
it is polishing its self don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#3]
That's just barely starting to break in.

here is some info.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Your rails look like new compared to my 228, you have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.... just keep it lubed and carry on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
My 1990 P228 has a lot more wear on it than yours. Keep shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My 1990 P228 has a lot more wear on it than yours. Keep shooting it.
View Quote

Geeze, I'd like to see some of the wear on your guy's rails, I thought mine was on the worse side of things.

Good to hear though, I'll keep shooting it till it shoots no more
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't listen to the BS from the idiots online.  Your gun is Golden!  IF and when it ever fails, Sig will make it right!  KEEP Shoot'n!
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I never went for the required 5 gallon bucket of grease if you're going to shoot a Sig. They have a good record of life expectancy (as do many other good pistols) and I really couldn't see any reason to maintain one any different than any of the other good pistols.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YUP
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:39:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My agency issues the P228 (M-11).  Maybe I'll take some pictures of how beat to shit mine is and post them up.  Yours is fine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess I've got nothing to worry then about since all but one of my old P6's still have black anodizing on the rails.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't use grease on my P226 at all, I do use a little Loctite copper anti seize though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never went for the required 5 gallon bucket of grease if you're going to shoot a Sig. They have a good record of life expectancy (as do many other good pistols) and I really couldn't see any reason to maintain one any different than any of the other good pistols.

I don't use grease on my P226 at all, I do use a little Loctite copper anti seize though

I thought  was the only one who used this.  Secret is out...
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Locktite copper anti sieze contains graphite which is not recommended for use with aluminum.

At high speeds graphite becomes an abrasive as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top