Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 10:23:29 PM EDT
In a few weeks, I'll be purchasing my first pistol, a P226 MK25, soon, and I've been thinking about sending it to the Sig Custom Shop for the Action Enhancement Package and Short Rest Trigger before even using it.

I haven't done much shooting, so I don't really know what to expect. I've shot a P226 recently when choosing which gun to buy, liked it, and was told that the SRT was a must-have upgrade out of the box.

Should I immediately send my P226 to the custom shop for those modifications? Or should I put a few hundred rounds through my new gun, get a feel for it, and then send it to the custom shop?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course shoot it first. If anything how are you going to appreciate those upgrades (and the hard cash spent on them) if you have nothing to compare it to?

The 226 is a legacy handgun for a reason; it's a hell of a gun right out of the box. Upgrades are nice but not in any way necessary. Put a few thousand down range and then figure out if it's worth it to you.

Good choice btw.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot it. I personally can't tell the difference between mine that has the SRT and the other one that doesn't. I don't see any sense in spending the extra money on the SRT. My first P226 was a worn out West German police trade in that I tore the center out of the target with the first magazine so I'm a firm believer in that you should spend your money on ammo and shoot more than wasting it on so called "enhancements".
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Take it out and shoot it first before you decide to change parts.  

If you want to learn more about the pistol than just sending it off for enhancements this dvd is a great asset.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-armorer-s-course-dvd-p-series.html

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Shoot it first, then order the parts to do the job from Top Gun Supply.  Took me about 30 minutes total while watching a YouTube video on how to do it.  I could do another now in 5-8 min.

Not hard at all and you will learn about your pistol in the process.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The SRT is unnecessary IMO. The P226 already has the best DA/SA trigger of any semi-auto right out of the box, and the gun is going to outshoot you for a long time with the stock trigger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The SRT is worth it IMO and beyond easy to install.  I changed it on my P228 and I like it so much more.  The reset is very short and break is exceptionally clean.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/567973/sig-sauer-short-reset-trigger-kit-sig-sauer-p226-p227-p229?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I'll go with the advice given and put a few hundred rounds through my new gun once I get it. I'll probably send it to the Sig custom shop for the AEP and SRT when Sig offers a discount on them (I've heard they usually have Father's Day and Independence Day sales?).

The Gray Guns shop sounds like a great alternative, but I don't want to risk modifying my gun, having it break, and then having Sig deny the warranty on it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I'll go with the advice given and put a few hundred rounds through my new gun once I get it. I'll probably send it to the Sig custom shop for the AEP and SRT when Sig offers a discount on them (I've heard they usually have Father's Day and Independence Day sales?).

The Gray Guns shop sounds like a great alternative, but I don't want to risk modifying my gun, having it break, and then having Sig deny the warranty on it.
View Quote

The AEP can be accomplished just by shooting the pistol it really is not a big deal other than they polish and smooth everything out(nothing a few good range trips will not accomplish).  SRT is two drop in pieces held by a push pin tensioned by a spring (if you want the thinner trigger also easy swap I prefer the thicker).  Literally it will take you less than 15 mins to do the swap yourself and youtube has several videos that detail just how simple it is.  I say 15 because you have to a flat head screw driver and remove the grips so they make take a few minutes to get a screw driver and small punch.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
What are your thoughts on just changing out the hammer spring?  I've read 19lbs is reliable, anything less and there may be light strike issues.  My trigger is clean and I don't mind the reset, just want to lighten up the DA pull a little.  I'm referring to a MK25.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Like others have said, shoot it first and go from there. You might spend money you don't need to. Sigs have some of the nicest factory trigger pulls in the gun business.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The SRT is worth it IMO and beyond easy to install.  I changed it on my P228 and I like it so much more.  The reset is very short and break is exceptionally clean.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/567973/sig-sauer-short-reset-trigger-kit-sig-sauer-p226-p227-p229?cm_vc=ProductFinding
View Quote

Q  Doesn't the MK 25 come with the short reset??
If not, realistically it takes about 10 minutes to install yourself and is a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The SRT is makes the nearly perfect p226 even better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#13]
shoot it.  I will agree that the short reset trigger is a great upgrade.  It can be done at home, but make sure you are a little bit mechanically inclined.  The trigger is great, and will improve alot with nothing but wear to polish the contact faces.
I have gone to lighter wolff mainspring with no ill effect on my MK25.  If I am remembering correctly, I went with the 18# mainspring with no effect on reliability.  
Great pistol that only gets better with use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top