Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2015 11:04:31 AM EDT
Anybody know what Sig is doing now with their "new" finish on the slides?
My old p229 stainless "blued" slide never wore like this.

Now my new p229 and p239 slides look all worn from the holster rash.

Any remedies to this?  Why did Sig change to this new blueing?  

20mb image hosting
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmm I have never seen that.  Might be defective?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it's defective.  Both of my Sig's have this new finish.  I'll have to double check my newly issued Sig but I don't think it has the "stainless" stamped on the left side of the slide.  I know it's still a stainless slide but it's definitely different finish than the older slides that are a bit shinier and have the "stainless" stamped on it.  

Both weapons are carried in both leather and kydex.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF!? Hit that with a rig rag and see if it helps. If not, I'd be calling Sig. No way that is holster wear unless that has been your edc piece for 15 years.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
My 94 model P228 doesn't look anything like that.  Its had plenty of holster time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WTF!? Hit that with a rig rag and see if it helps. If not, I'd be calling Sig. No way that is holster wear unless that has been your edc piece for 15 years.
View Quote

Haha, I'll give that a shot.  I had to google "rig rag", never heard that term before.  
The 239 is my EDC but Sig replaced the slide under warranty less than a year ago.  
My 229 that I had for the last 10+ years didn't show any wear like that.  The new one looks pretty much like the posted 239 and is also less than a year old.  
The newer finish is more dull than the older one.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you using the same type of holster that you used with the old P229?  To me, it looks like the holster material might be wearing off onto the slide finish, not the other way around.  Finish wear on the slide tends to just turn from gray to silver, especially starting at sharp corners on the slide.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you using the same type of holster that you used with the old P229?  To me, it looks like the holster material might be wearing off onto the slide finish, not the other way around.  Finish wear on the slide tends to just turn from gray to silver, especially starting at sharp corners on the slide.
View Quote

Same holster for the most part. Good old Desantis pancake.
The 239 has mostly been in either a Crossbread leather/kydex and a leather ankle holster.

I'll send Sig CS a pic and see what they say.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW I have a S&W M&P .45 that I carry in a leather holster and it looks like your Sig does after I remove it from my holster.  Before I put it up I just wipe it down with some CLP and it goes away immediately and doesn't reappear until it is holstered/un holstered again.  I will say I found it to be odd the first time I noticed that on my pistol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say it's the kydex wearing on the high spots, not a defect in the finish.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd think the Nitron finish should be tougher than that. I'd be calling/emailing Sig about it, if I were you OP.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Did you try hitting it with a rag and some CLP? my MK25 had marks similar to that from the Kydex holster it was in, I hit it with some CLP and a rag and it disappeared.

Sigs "new" finish is Nitron, with is much harder than traditional bluing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Haven't been able to pick up a rig rag yet.  It's not the kydex holster that's wearing on the finish. I looked more closely and it's definitely the leather IWB holster.
Talked to one of our range guys and he mentioned he was seeing that on a few of the "newer" pistols. He mentioned to hit it with the rig rag as well.
I'll try some CLP too if the rag doesn't work.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Improperly treated leather? Some chemicals from the leather leaching out? Believe it or not, there is a lot of crap leather coming in from overseas.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweat much?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sweat much?
View Quote

Only for God and country.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top