Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2015 8:48:15 PM EDT
Below are a couple of pictures of a new recoil spring I installed.  After approximately 200 rounds, it has a slight bend in it and one of the coils looks enlarged.  It's not binding on anything and has no kinks so I'm not sure what may have caused it other than it being a faulty spring.  The gun functions fine.  I've ordered a replacement just in case.  Any thoughts or ideas?  I'm stumped as to what caused it or if it's safe to continue shooting like that.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the spring purchased new from a reliable source?  The only time I have seen a recoil spring in that shape is when a "home gunsmith" overstretches or compresses an existing spring for "extra power" or "reduced power" and tries to bend it back to its original shape.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I got it from Midway.  It was still sealed in the factory packaging.  All I did was install it and start shooting.  I did get it pretty hot so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#3]
if you don't keep it perfectly straight when installing the barrel, it'll bend.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah.  I'm positive I put it in carefully and didn't bend it.  

Do you guys think I should keep it as a backup or just toss it?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like stacking from insufficient barrel lubrication.  Spring should be wet upon installation, as should the entire barrel.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, that could be it.  The spring was installed dry.  I've made sure the replacement is sufficiently lubed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure the tight end goes on the rod first. If you put it on backwards it will bind on the rod and cause malfunctions.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 3:00:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Is one of the wires broken?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]
None of the wires were broken and I made sure to install the white end first, towards the chamber.  I've since replaced it and not had any issues with the new one.  Perhaps it was just a bad spring?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#10]
It looks like the recoil spring was pulled to increase length.  I dont have a 229 but my 228 spring from TopGun supply looks like this and did not change in form as yours.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
It looked fine when it arrived from Midway, still in Sig packaging.  Installed it correctly, shot about 200 rds and that was the outcome.  The new one I have since put in the gun looks fine so far after about 50 rds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top