Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2015 4:37:21 AM EDT
Recently handled a p290rs at the gun store. I really liked the way it felt in the hand and the DAO trigger was smooth as silk.  However I currently carry a p938 so I don't really need the 290 I guess.  But on the other hand the gun store said they have a handful of them in stock and can't seam to sell them so he said he would give me a smoking deal.
 Anyone shoot one or?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:17:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Used to own two of them. Shot very well but had light strikes w/both of them shooting GECO FMJ (but never w/quality ammo). Galloway Precision makes a spring kit that really improves the trigger.
HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I did hear of light strikes with the p290 but thought they fixed it when they came out with the p290RS.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine has not had any problems with ammo, all inexpensive winchester, remington, and federal.

Initially it had a pronounced hitch about two thirds of the way through the trigger pull. A good cleaning and lube removed most of it.

It's a great little gun to conceal when conditions don't allow me to carry a larger pistol.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. I did hear of light strikes with the p290 but thought they fixed it when they came out with the p290RS.
View Quote

The RS fixed nearly all of the light strikes, but when both of mine exhibited the same behavior w/the same ammo I'd say not entirely fixed. To be fair, even my SIG P250's would occasionally light strike w/GECO FMJ (my P320's, OTOH, eat it like candy).
Tomac
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
No issues with mine, but it is HEAVY.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with some above...mine has been 100% reliable, a bit heavy for the caliber but a sweet shooter...VERY accurate and I like the full sized night sights online...the trigger is revolver like so if you started with revolvers it will feel similar, if you prefer the GLOCKlike trigger, you may be disappointed...my trigger smoothed and lightened up considerably after a little range session and dry fire...well worth the price of admission.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking to get one of these as well. I know it's an old thread, but any new comments are appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine has been 100% reliable. Trigger takes a little bit to get use to when going back and forth from my XD and the 290rs. The trigger is heavy and long, but smooth, and has gotten better the more I have shot it. I really like the grips on mine (G10). The package is smaller then other single stack nines out there, but the grip fits my hand a heck of a lot better then any others. It is small enough for pocket carry with the 6 round mag, but it is just to heavy for practical pocket carry. It feels well put together, no slop in the frame and slide. I'm definitely happy with the 290rs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#11]

I find it to be a really nice ultra-compact 9mm. Shoots well and carries easy. The trigger is your typical DAO but I find the pistol has many more pros than cons. I have never had light primer strikes with mine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I find it to be a really nice ultra-compact 9mm. Shoots well and carries easy. The trigger is your typical DAO but I find the pistol has many more pros than cons. I have never had light primer strikes with mine.
View Quote

This is what I was trying to say... just not as straight to the point

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for checking in y'all! After searching forever, it's the only true double action 9 that is similar in size to the lcp. I carry one owb everyday. I mean on paper, it's real close. It's only about 12 ounces more loaded.

I've ordered the two tone version and 2 holsters for it already. I'm hoping it's everything I'm looking for in a small 9. I can deal with the trigger, I'm a revolver fan at heart.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry mine AIWB in a remora holster. got mine on sale at PSA for 279.

I wanted a 938 but at nearly double the price, it wasn't worth it.

I picked it over the shield, since the 6rd magazine is a tad bit shorter than the shield, so I can pocket carry if I need to.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Haven't had any issues with mine. About 350 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one and haven't had any issues with it aside from the fact you really need to make sure the magazines are seated. As others have said if you are use to DA revolver triggers you will have no problems. My Kahr P380 has mostly replaced it for pocket carry as it doesn't  weigh down the pockets of my slacks as much.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I got mine today and put 50 rounds through it right out of the box. Shoots great and is pretty damn accurate.

I'm happy with it so far. Fine little pistol!
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
it's the only true double action 9 that is similar in size to the lcp. I carry one owb everyday. I mean on paper, it's real close. It's only about 12 ounces more loaded.
View Quote

you are forgetting width, or purposely excluding it. the p290rs is about as wide as a brick and twice as heavy, they are pretty useless for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/attachments/general-lcp-discussion/2826d1337704792-lcp-sig-p290-new-couple-sigp290lcpver2.jpg

you are forgetting width, or purposely excluding it. the p290rs is about as wide as a brick and twice as heavy, they are pretty useless for concealed carry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's the only true double action 9 that is similar in size to the lcp. I carry one owb everyday. I mean on paper, it's real close. It's only about 12 ounces more loaded.

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/attachments/general-lcp-discussion/2826d1337704792-lcp-sig-p290-new-couple-sigp290lcpver2.jpg

They have their place, but are definitely not the winner in any one category. I'd rather pocket carry my P380 and if I'm carrying on the belt I'd rather have my Glock 26. That said it works for pocket carry and ankle carry about the same as my S&W 649. The snubby is easier to draw in a hurry but I find myself using the SIG for jacket pocket carry in the winter. The SIG has a decent revolver style DAO trigger and good sights. The weight (again like a steel J frame) helps make the recoil pretty mild. If I had bought my P380 first I wouldn't own the SIG but I don't plan on selling it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not purposely excluding anything. The lcp is .8" in width and the sig is .9" or 1.1 with the slide lever.

Negligible difference would be putting it mildly.

It is heavier, but I don't notice it at all. I've carried my lcp for about 2 years in a blackpoint tactical owb holster. I put the sig on yesterday and couldn't really tell the difference.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually found the bare-bones one local to me for just over $300, liked it enough for me to pick one up for myself while we track down a rainbow one for the SO.  Question, is there any place to purchase the standard black polymer grip inserts?  Sig Sauer's store is only selling the military trio pack and pink for the polymer offerings, the polymer are much slimmer than the "extreme" grips that came on mine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone installed this trigger?
http://gallowayprecision.com/sig-sauer/p290/rtk-profile-for-sig-p290/

I'm looking mainly to shorten the pull and reduce the long reset.I can deal with the long pull, but the damn long reset makes follow up shots a little slow.

I've got their SS guide rod and 22lb recoil spring with nothing bad to say, but I can't find any good reviews of the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Wait until the striker fire version of the 290 is released... .Opss.  did I say that out loud...

TXPO
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wait until the striker fire version of the 290 is released... .Opss.  did I say that out loud...

TXPO
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I still carry mine most days.  I’ve had numerous light strikes on steel case ammo, a squib with Freedom Munitions [don’t buy that stuff], and a front sight vile go bad.  It’s too heavy for pocket carry in the holsters I have, but that doesn’t bother me.  The extra weight makes it very easy to shoot accurately.  And it is very accurate.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is absolutely reliable.  I practice with my reloads that exactly mirror my carry load.  My wife can rack th slide which is a big deal to me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I recently bought one at the Tulsa gun show. From what I had read, I figured the trigger pull would be long and heavy. Not with mine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I picked up s P290RS 380 EDC from a elderly gentleman and like it,  you can weak hand rack the slide with your index finger on the rear sight & it carries nice in the included paddle holster, mine has plain old 3 dot sights and two 6 round mags, need to pick up a coule 8 round mags and see what night sights interchange with the 290 and pick up a set, It is a good pick up for the price in my opinion. Something i can ccw on belt easy with a decent trigger and incouls care less if it gets beat on lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top