Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2015 12:15:18 AM EDT
So my plan was to get a Glock 17  to use as a host for a future suppressor, then out of the blue a guy I bought a gun from a while back is hard up for cash and needs to unload a SIG P226, (1988) to pay a bill or rent. So I end up with a pretty nice pistol, 3 mags and a Galco shoulder rig.

So, who have you folks gotten threaded barrels from? just a point in the right direction would be awesome.

Also what if anything do you recommend I do to the pistol to make it more reliable suppressed?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
SIG threaded bbl. directly from SIG.
New recoil spring in my '88 P226 when I got the new bbl...runs 100% with my SWR Trident-9 suppressor.
IMO, the P226 is one of the best suppressor platforms out there.

An old photo.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Straight from sig.

Also get a heavery recoil spring... Of you will beat the living crap out of your frame. My new sig 226 dark tb uses a 22lb-24lb recoil spring.

With the stock spring it cycles but the frame was clearly taking a beating from the increased back pressure.

The 226 is the best platform I've used so far. Kicks the g17 for sound level and reliability. Trashes the g19.

The usp9 is ~ the same.
Haven't ran my octane 9 on a cz or hk yet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright that's good info, which of course raises other questions.

1) What sight's are you folks using?

2) will the pistol be reliable with a heavier spring when not shooting it suppressed?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
ameriglo suppresor sights sg-181
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright that's good info, which of course raises other questions.

1) What sight's are you folks using?

2) will the pistol be reliable with a heavier spring when not shooting it suppressed?
View Quote

1) For me, no change in sights. I "shoot thru" the can. Works fine.

2) No idea, I use a stock spring and have not seen any excessive wear on my 226.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Also get a heavery recoil spring... Of you will beat the living crap out of your frame. My new sig 226 dark tb uses a 22lb-24lb recoil spring.
View Quote

I checked Sig's web site and I only see the standard spring as part of a kit. Where would you recommend getting a stiffer spring?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I checked Sig's web site and I only see the standard spring as part of a kit. Where would you recommend getting a stiffer spring?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Also get a heavery recoil spring... Of you will beat the living crap out of your frame. My new sig 226 dark tb uses a 22lb-24lb recoil spring.

I buy Wolff springs. Sadly they arn't 3 strand bradded so think they require more frequent replacements.

Also tried the sig .40 226 recoil spring for 9mm which is 20lb and the 3 strand.
Frame after 200 suppressed 16 lb spring lubed properly and 800 rounds in the life of the gun.

Bare metal and warped along one spot... Yeah that bad... Took maybe 20k of life out of the frame in under two hours of range time.
Night sights don't clear it. I shoot through the can for now. Ps this is taken after removing all lube... Lube tw25b

Looking through sights.

Edit: suppressor is octane 9mm.
Threaded barrel is stock.
Spring 22lb Wolff standard type. Don't get the variable as this unlocks faster. You want slow unlock timing.
Ammo of choice 147grn freedom munitions, Fiocchi 158grn, 147 hush.

Anything else you want a pic of or any other questions I can help answer?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you fired it with that same ammo, unsuppressed to see if it is reliable with the stiffer spring. I don't want a gun that will only run 100% when it is suppressed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Only ran one mag and the only one that wouldn't lock open on the 24lb spring... It ran flawlessly for two mags 15rounds on the 22 and 20 lb springs. I also have a reduced mainspring that is 17lbs so keep that in consideration. As that does allow the slide to move back faster.. But the gun had that since round 0.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought my barrel from Osage County guns. Dropped right in to my 226 TacOps no issues with cycling on stock springs.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Top Gun Supply for the barrels. Ameriglo suppressors sights are great too. I'll second (or third) the stronger recoil spring as mine has seen some wear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#12]
does the stronger spring affect the gun shooting without a silencer? Ive got a 226 tacops on the way and planning a form 1 silencer
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#13]
New to Sig, but I have been looking for this barrel info so this has been very helpful.

What threading are your barrels?

Do they need fitting or were they drop in?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a SIG factory threaded barrel for my P226 Special Configuration.  Its threaded 13.5x1mmLH and dropped right in with no issues.  If/When AAC or SiCo releases a P226 barrel with a 1/2x28 thread I'll be grabbing one so I won't have to switch out my pistons when changing hosts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
does the stronger spring affect the gun shooting without a silencer? Ive got a 226 tacops on the way and planning a form 1 silencer
View Quote

I shoot my Tacops with Osprey can with the OEM spring. 100% reliable & no battering.

My .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top