Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2015 12:18:43 AM EDT
OK, I like the idea behind the P320 and would like to get one in .45acp but the more I look the more confused I get.

There are THREE frame sizes: small, medium, and large.

There are FOUR grip modules: full size, carry, compact, and sub-compact.

So that's potentially 12 different configurations in each caliber?  

Does the gun come with all three frame sizes (S, M, L) when you buy it, or do you get whatever is in stock and in the box?  If it comes with, say, a small size frame, but you want a large, do you have to buy that frame separately?  

I ask because I'm looking at Sig's IOP price list and it doesn't mention what size frame you'll get, only the style (full size, carry, compact, and sub-compact).

Full Size, 9mm / .40 S&W / .357 SIG / .45 ACP
P320, .45 ACP, Pistol, Full size, 4.7in bbl, Nitron, BLK, DAO, SIGLITE, Modular Polymer Grip, (3) 10rd Steel Mag, Accessory Rail
View Quote

My brain hurts....
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 12:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe it comes with a medium frame.  I've seen frames at selway armory, about $45.

I have a subcompact in a 9.   Might want to get a compact .45 for it one day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:49:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the Full Size and Carry use the same size frame, just the slide is shorter on the Carry.... so only 3 different size frames Full/Carry, Compact and Sub-Compact...and I think the Sub-Compact only comes in Med and Small...
And then you have to take into consideration that the .45 uses its own specific frames, while 9MM, .357 Sig and .40 are interchangeable...
From what I have seen, all Complete firearms and kits come with Med size grips of whichever version you buy, and you have to buy the Small or Large frames if you want something other than the Medium size...
For reference this may help...
http://www.selwayarmory.com/sigsauerp250p320frames.aspx

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The subcompact, complete pistol, from what I hear, usually comes with a small grip, which has no rail. The medium grip, which is available as an additional purchase, has a rail.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]
that link is very helpful.  Any ideas on what frames the full size slide will fit on?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that link is very helpful.  Any ideas on what frames the full size slide will fit on?
View Quote

All of them
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Osage has listed the Carry, which is compact slide with cut down fullsize frame for 17rd mags, and also a model with full size slide and compact 15rd frame. So just about everything is offered.. I'm putting a compact slide on a subcompact frame as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all, I'm a little less confused now.

I don't think Sig should emphasize how much "better" their multi-sized frames are than backstraps, given the other manufacturers include the backstraps when you by the gun (at least Springfield does, not sure about S&W or big-G).  

Well, as long as they intend to support the guns with that huge variety of parts, I'm OK about it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

All of them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of them

Full size slide will fit on any frame...
I'm in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I am running the mid size slide on a subcompact small frame.  Feels like I have a P239 but it holds 13 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am running the mid size slide on a subcompact small frame.  Feels like I have a P239 but it holds 13 rounds.
View Quote
Follow-up question then.  You say "slide" by which I assume you mean, "slide assembly"?  In other words you're running a mid-size slide and barrel on a compact frame....correct?

That raises another question then.  Can I mix and match the barrels as well?  Can I run a full length barrel in a mid size slide on a sub compact frame?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here, loving it so far. Thinking about getting a full size slide and trying that aswell
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:20:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe the Full Size and Carry use the same size frame, just the slide is shorter on the Carry.... so only 3 different size frames Full/Carry, Compact and Sub-Compact...and I think the Sub-Compact only comes in Med and Small...

View Quote

The Full size and the Carry both use 17rd magazines, but the Carry's dustcover/rail is shorter to match the shorter slide.

SSDD
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Well the fact Sig raised their price on the conversion kits by $100 really hurts the whole idea if this thing imo. I think the best bet now is to by a full size of your favorite caliber and pay $100 for both the compact and subcompact frames to have the ability to downgrade grip sizes when necessary.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
$399 for a conversion VS the $430 I just paid for a FDE framed compact. ..hmmmm

No brainer.

I also think this is a play at just selling complete guns until demand drops, then prices will lower again. Still chickenshit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well the fact Sig raised their price on the conversion kits by $100 really hurts the whole idea if this thing imo. I think the best bet now is to by a full size of your favorite caliber and pay $100 for both the compact and subcompact frames to have the ability to downgrade grip sizes when necessary.
View Quote

Personal opinion from alot of online research, I pick mine up this weekend, is start with the Compact model and get the Carry and the Subcompact grips.  The fullsize slide on the subcompact grip will fit and function, but leaves a gap because the dustcover on the SC is too short for the Fullsize frame.

SSDD
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Full size and the Carry both use 17rd magazines, but the Carry's dustcover/rail is shorter to match the shorter slide.

SSDD

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SSDD

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware of that...

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SSDD

Just to visulize, from Sig's site, note the number of rail sections on each.

Full

Carry

SSDD
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, why do my linked pictures not work?  They were good in the preview....

SSDD

...Might be an issue with file formats, the Sig pictures are .png.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

SSDD

View Quote

When non-members post pictures they need to be approved by members, to prevent. . . bad things.  Very informative pics.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When non-members post pictures they need to be approved by members, to prevent. . . bad things.  Very informative pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SSDD

Thanks for pointing that out, oversite corrected!

SSDD
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Personal opinion from alot of online research, I pick mine up this weekend, is start with the Compact model and get the Carry and the Subcompact grips.  The fullsize slide on the subcompact grip will fit and function, but leaves a gap because the dustcover on the SC is too short for the Fullsize frame.

SSDD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SSDD

Yeah I have the compact with an additional subcompact frame. I have found that I use the subcompact frame 90% of the time and rarely use the compact frame. If I want more grip length I just put a compact size magazine in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm hoping for a factory threaded barrel version soon.  I hate to buy the P320 then have to buy an extra barrel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I decided to put all the relevant specs in one place.  

FULL SIZE:

Overall Length 8.0 in
Overall Height 5.5 in
Overall Width 1.4 in
Barrel Length 4.7 in
Sight Radius 6.6 in
Weight w/Mag 29.4 oz
Mag Capacity 9mm 17 Rounds, .40 S&W 14 Rounds, 357 SIG 14 Rounds, .45ACP 10 Rounds
View Quote

CARRY:  

Overall Length 7.2 in
Overall Height 5.5 in
Overall Width 1.4 in
Barrel Length 3.9 in
Sight Radius 5.8 in
Weight w/Mag 26.0 oz
Mag Capacity 9mm 17 Rounds, .357 SIG 14 Rounds, .40 S&W 14 Rounds
View Quote

COMPACT:

Overall Length 7.2 in
Overall Height 5.3 in
Overall Width 1.4 in
Barrel Length 3.9 in
Sight Radius 5.8 in
Weight w/Mag 25.8 oz
Mag Capacity 9mm 17 Rounds, .357 SIG 14 Rounds, .40 S&W 14 Rounds, .45ACP 9 Rounds
View Quote

SUB COMPACT:  

Overall Length 6.7 in
Overall Height 4.7 in
Overall Width 1.1 in
Barrel Length 3.6 in
Sight Radius 5.5 in
Weight w/Mag 24.9
Mag Capacity 9mm 12 Rounds
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#24]
So on Sig's fancy-HTML product page, down near the bottom, it shows all the frames together in one place.  The specs show little difference between the 'carry' and the 'compact' models, specs are almost identical.  

Here's where it gets hinky; on that page it looks like the CARRY is smaller than the COMPACT?

Carry and Compact respectively, from THAT page:

The carry model's rail has three bumps, while the smaller compact model's rail has four?  In the post above, they both have four.

What's the deal?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No brainer.

I also think this is a play at just selling complete guns until demand drops, then prices will lower again. Still chickenshit.
View Quote

Hm... well, when you get a caliber exchange kit, you  basically get an entire gun, except the serialized FCG.  Still, it seems the FCG should cost more than $31.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When low post count non-members post pictures they need to be approved by members, to prevent. . . bad things.  Very informative pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SSDD

When low post count non-members post pictures they need to be approved by members, to prevent. . . bad things.  Very informative pics.

FIFY.  That restriction goes away as some point.  I forget the magic number.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hm... well, when you get a caliber exchange kit, you  basically get an entire gun, except the serialized FCG.  Still, it seems the FCG should cost more than $31.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No brainer.

Not to mention the 10% excise tax they have to pay for complete firearms, which is not due on the exchange kits.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Can anyone explain the difference between the carry and the compact?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Compact has 15 rd mag, carry is 17. Compact has 4 lugs on rail, carry has 3.

p320
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Carry is the compact slide on a bobbed full-size frame so you have full-size capacity w/the compact's shorter OAL.
Tomac
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Carry is the compact slide on a bobbed full-size frame so you have full-size capacity w/the compact's shorter OAL.
Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

I am not sure this is right. Height wise the frames seem to be the same but the carry frame is still shorter in length then the full size fame.

If I am reading the specs right.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Compact has 15 rd mag, carry is 17. Compact has 4 lugs on rail, carry has 3.

p320
View Quote
I think this is correct.  In the Shot Show video they describe the CARRY with a smaller slide and a full size grip.  The one he's holding has three lugs on the rail.  The COMPACT has a smaller slide and a smaller grip, and has four lugs on the grip rail.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCIbYF0rh4k

Sig's product page shows it wrong, only adding to the confusion.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I am not sure this is right. Height wise the frames seem to be the same but the carry frame is still shorter in length then the full size fame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

See highlight in red above. The full size frame has been shortened ("bobbed") to accommodate the shorter compact slide.
Tomac
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#34]
OK, I got my P320 in .357 Sig!  Very excited to get out and shoot the thing, hopefully this weekend if UPS brings the cartridges I ordered.  After that it'll be deciding whether to go with full-house Underwood or something more commercial like Federal or Rangers.

I have a question for those that have a couple P320s or even P250s: Has anyone tried running their P320 carry or compact with a full length barrel?  How about a subcompact with a carry length barrel?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OK, I got my P320 in .357 Sig!  Very excited to get out and shoot the thing, hopefully this weekend if UPS brings the cartridges I ordered.  After that it'll be deciding whether to go with full-house Underwood or something more commercial like Federal or Rangers.

I have a question for those that have a couple P320s or even P250s: Has anyone tried running their P320 carry or compact with a full length barrel?  How about a subcompact with a carry length barrel?
View Quote

With a carry slide on a subcompact frame there is the tinniest gap in between the grip/frame and the bottom of the slide, like 1mm or less.  It works just fine and I can't see the gap getting something stuck in there (I have heard of people welding/soldering the tiniest dot of material on there to fill the gap, I don't think it is worth the trouble).  I'm still testing mine out before I decide to carry it or not, heading to the range after lunch :)   poked around, this thread has decent pictures http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/28841-p320-carry-slide-sub-compact-grip-pics.html

And this article is about the 250 but the dimensions are the same as the 320 and it shows a full size slide on a subcompact frame: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/04/chris-dumm/gun-review-sig-sauer-p250-9mm-2sum/

All the configurations function, but some are silly looking (like a subcompact slide on a full size frame)
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#37]

No, I'm not asking about slides, but barrels.  Can I put a full length barrel in my carry slide?  Can I get a subcompact gun and put the carry length barrel in it?  Just how interchangeable are these things?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have SC and a couple Compacts.  I have not tried mounting the Compact barrel in the SC slide, but I can;t think off the top of my head why you couldn't.

Are you thinking of getting the longer barrel threaded for a suppressor by chance?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have SC and a couple Compacts.  I have not tried mounting the Compact barrel in the SC slide, but I can;t think off the top of my head why you couldn't.

Are you thinking of getting the longer barrel threaded for a suppressor by chance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know some of the glocks have different locking blocks and dont interchange. I have been keeping a eye out for a threaded barrel for my compact
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top