Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2015 5:56:06 PM EDT
I have been eyeing the P224 in DA/SA 9MM for a few weeks now but really haven't seen to much about them. The reviews I find are about 2 minutes in length of someone shooting 5 rounds through it and saying "shoots pretty good." Anyone have real experience with the P224? Any reliability issues?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been eyeing the P224 in DA/SA 9MM for a few weeks now but really haven't seen to much about them. The reviews I find are about 2 minutes in length of someone shooting 5 rounds through it and saying "shoots pretty good." Anyone have real experience with the P224? Any reliability issues?
View Quote

I'm not sure about my round count, but I put close to a thousand rounds through mine over a few month. I carried it everyday for a while. The front tritium vial just stopped working one day. With lit up rear sights and a black front it throws me off shooting at night. I haven't gotten around to calling SIG to see if they would replace it. The gun was less than a year old when the sight died.

Otherwise, the gun works well. No reliability issues for me. It is a very accurate gun.

Downsides are how thick it is. The slide is definitely thicker than a 226 slide. Because of that thickness, I find the slide release difficult to hit without getting some skin taken off my thumb. I usually end up just racking the slide instead. Being a small hammer fired gun, the first DA is heavy buy smooth. It is definitely heavier to me than my 226 trigger. Mine has the srt trigger whick is crazy good on follow up shots.

Finding a holster has gotten easier, but still your options are limited.

I'm glad I got mine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I know this has been a topic of discussion for awhile, but has it been verified if the 226 mags work? In theory they work, but just aren't flush on the bottom, because 226 mags work with 229 and 229 mags work in 224, correct?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Downsides are how thick it is. The slide is definitely thicker than a 226 slide. Because of that thickness, I find the slide release difficult to hit without getting some skin taken off my thumb. I usually end up just racking the slide instead. Being a small hammer fired gun, the first DA is heavy buy smooth. It is definitely heavier to me than my 226 trigger. Mine has the srt trigger whick is crazy good on follow up shots.
View Quote

I got mine and had to send it back to Sig because it wouldn't feed rounds. The extractor was too tight and was hanging up rounds going into the chamber. Got it back from Sig a week later and it was working great. Shoots almost as  soft as my P229. It's accurate, you can use new P229 and P226 magazines in it (old style 9mm not supposed to work, old style 40s do.) I the slide is 28.11mm at the thickest point, where the P229 Dark Elite is 28.28mm at the thickest point. (I measured it with my micrometer.) The previoous poster may find it hard to hit the slide stop lever because that is quite a bit smaller on the P224 than on the P226 or P229. It's actually recessed in the grip a bit. The decocker is a bit smaller as well, as you would expect on a gun designed for concealed carry.

I love mine. I wanted a GLock 27 without the goofy Glock grip angle and this is what I found works for me. Bonus: The same operation as my P229. (DA/SA)

Edited to say I have 500 rounds down mine now. No issues since it came back from Sig. I can shoot this thing all day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know this has been a topic of discussion for awhile, but has it been verified if the 226 mags work? In theory they work, but just aren't flush on the bottom, because 226 mags work with 229 and 229 mags work in 224, correct?
View Quote

I can't say for the 229 magazines, but definitely you can with the 226. I have used the OEM 15 round 226 magazines that came with my mk25, and I have used both 18 and 20 round mecgar 226 magazines. No issues at all. When I was carrying it, I was carrying a 20 round magazine for reload just because I could.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I got mine and had to send it back to Sig because it wouldn't feed rounds. The extractor was too tight and was hanging up rounds going into the chamber. Got it back from Sig a week later and it was working great. Shoots almost as  soft as my P229. It's accurate, you can use new P229 and P226 magazines in it (old style 9mm not supposed to work, old style 40s do.) I the slide is 28.11mm at the thickest point, where the P229 Dark Elite is 28.28mm at the thickest point. (I measured it with my micrometer.) The previoous poster may find it hard to hit the slide stop lever because that is quite a bit smaller on the P224 than on the P226 or P229. It's actually recessed in the grip a bit. The decocker is a bit smaller as well, as you would expect on a gun designed for concealed carry.

I love mine. I wanted a GLock 27 without the goofy Glock grip angle and this is what I found works for me. Bonus: The same operation as my P229. (DA/SA)

Edited to say I have 500 rounds down mine now. No issues since it came back from Sig. I can shoot this thing all day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I hadn't measured it, it just seemed thicker than my 226 using my mark 1 eyeball, but I'll take you at your work on the measurements. It could very well just be an optical illusion. It must be the fact that the slide stop is much smaller that is giving me trouble.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is my EDC. I have just over 1K rounds through it and they've all been flawless. For me, it's the pistol I'm most accurate with and I'd even go as far as saying it may be my favorite pistol
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have both the 224 & 239? Interested in how they compare carrying.

Have a 239 & a 226, so the idea of a small double stack with the same DA/SA controls is appealing. On the other hand, seems a bit thick & going by the specs the grip isn't much shorter than the 239. Grip length is the main issue for me, so wondering if there's much benefit with the 224.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I use to have several P239s. The P224 is just as easy for me to carry as the P239 was. I even carry it in an ankle holster. The extra capacity made the decision easy for me, I no longer have any P239s.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone have both the 224 & 239? Interested in how they compare carrying.

Have a 239 & a 226, so the idea of a small double stack with the same DA/SA controls is appealing. On the other hand, seems a bit thick & going by the specs the grip isn't much shorter than the 239. Grip length is the main issue for me, so wondering if there's much benefit with the 224.
View Quote

1.2" wide for the P239, 1.3" wide for the P224. Shorter grip, bigger capacity on the P224.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my 224 it is my EDC. A little heavy if your used to polymer guns but I don't think I would trade it for anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top