Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 3:04:10 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for a good first handgun and I decided on a 9mm. Here in NZ Sig Sauer P226's are worth $1500+ brand new USD but I have been offered a second hand one for $718USD.
Seller has told me that the gun has over 10,000 rounds + through it, finish has mag well and holster scuffing, recoil spring replaced, very reliable.
Comes with 5 magazines and holster.

We can get brand new Glock 17's for $640USD at this stage it doesn't really seem like it's worth it... thoughts?

I've been searching the forums, but can't seem to find info pertaining to round count concerns. Should I be weary of purchasing a handgun at 10,000+ round count?

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:20:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The Guys on the Sig forum can be of more help to you.

http://sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=674608412

Also you can call Sig. I think they have a check up and spring replacement at a reasonable price.

Personally 10,000 rounds seem like alot. I think you can find the same gun in pretty minty condition for about or alittle more than that price.

Full size Glock can be found new for $519. Shop around.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for a good first handgun and I decided on a 9mm. Here in NZ Sig Sauer P226's are worth $1500+ brand new USD but I have been offered a second hand one for $718USD.
Seller has told me that the gun has over 10,000 rounds + through it, finish has mag well and holster scuffing, recoil spring replaced, very reliable.

We can get brand new Glock 17's for $640USD at this stage it doesn't really seem like it's worth it... thoughts?

I've been searching the forums, but can't seem to find info pertaining to round count concerns. Should I be weary of purchasing a handgun at 10,000+ round count?

Cheers
View Quote

My first department issued West German 226 lasted for about 4-5 years.  I went between 40,000-46,000 rounds before the rangemaster took the gun out of service.  The frame developed hairline cracks along the loading block.  I used to shoot three times a week and about 300-500 rounds each time I went out.  I asked to keep the gun in service but the rangemaster said the gun was not safe.  I could shoot an average between 285-292 out of 300 on the bullseye range (30 rounds at 25 yards unsupported for a possible 300 point, perfect score).  Our department switched from 9mm to .40 P226 a few years later.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My first department issued West German 226 lasted for about 4-5 years.  I went between 40,000-46,000 rounds before the rangemaster took the gun out of service.  The frame developed hairline cracks along the loading block.  I used to shoot three times a week and about 300-500 rounds each time I went out.  I asked to keep the gun in service but the rangemaster said the gun was not safe.  I could shoot an average between 285-292 out of 300 on the bullseye range (30 rounds at 25 yards unsupported for a possible 300 point, perfect score).  Our department switched from 9mm to .40 P226 a few years later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Cheers

Pre 96 steel frame or post 96 aluminum?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p226-9mm-german-police-trade-ins.html?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=b1bc6673d2-2015_3_19&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ada83649b2-b1bc6673d2-131147601&mc_cid=b1bc6673d2&mc_eid=8f5a6a25ed
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Did everyone see that he's from NZ?  Shipping it to Exeter or buying from Top Gun isn't going to be a practical option.

OP-  My SIG P226 in .40/.357 has over 10k rnds through it and all I've ever done is replace the recoil spring.  The gun has no more visible wear than it did at 1k rnds and I'd trust my life to it.

With that said, it sounds like the SIG market is a bit inflated down there.  Unless its a special model, I couldn't imagine paying more for one than the price if a new glock.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#6]
How do the rails look?  The anodizing there usually wears out first.  Check out the guide at the top of the page:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/86894_Guide_To_Sig_Sauer_Pistol_Inspection.html

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The word for which you're looking is WARY, not weary.

If you're having reservations then your gut is telling you something; listen to it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Cheers

@GSL, it was the West German P226 with the aluminum frame.  The finish was fairly worn, but the action/trigger was butter smooth with all the dry firing and rounds put down the pipe.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How do the rails look?  The anodizing there usually wears out first.  Check out the guide at the top of the page:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_14/86894_Guide_To_Sig_Sauer_Pistol_Inspection.html

View Quote

I'd agree to check the rails, but I read that guide years ago and got freaked out that my rails were silver.  that was before I started to get more into shooting, and since then have put several thousand rounds through it with no problems.  I can't imagine the anodizing in that area can last very long even with meticulous greasing.  But, that is the main area I would want to inspect if buying a used Sig.

A Sig with 10,000 still should have a lot of life if it was lubed properly.  You can get the spring replacement kits from Top Gun (I assume you can order things like that into NZ?) but I would think the frame/barrel would be GTG.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't really know the actual round count, only that it's "over" 10,000 rounds.

There's more to inspecting an alloy frame than simply eyeballing the frame rails.

The recoil spring is supposed to be replaced at 5,000 but I replace mine at 3500.

You'll should have all the operating springs replaced if you buy the pistol.

You don't know how well the pistol was lubed and maintained.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a P226 with a true round count of 10,000 if the price was right; but I'd want to know its real provenance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at the double rollpins in the slide holding the firing pin block assembly in place.  They have a tendency to walk out.  They can be drifted once or twice, but that's it.  They will need replacement.  Mine did that with a steady diet of +p ammo.  Look for pitting along the firing pin hole protrusion.  Check for frame cracks around the locking block.  You'll have to remove the locking block.  All important springs will need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]
We can get brand new Glock 17's for $640USD
View Quote

I really like Sig and Glock, but a brand new G17 for $640 over a P226 with over 10,000 rounds through it for $718 makes the Glock a winner in my book.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone for your valuable input!
Lots of great answers, I really appreciate it.

I don't think I want to take the risk with the Sig. It's located in a different region from where I live, so I won't be able to inspect it well.
I will be purchasing a Glock 17 instead. Much more value and can't go wrong.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#14]
My Glock 17 has 9,500 rounds on it, runs great.    10,000 not really a lot as far as the service life of the weapon - now compared to a lot of other pistols it might be a lot because lots of folks just don't shoot their guns much.  

If you are really set on a Sig and you don;t have much choice because of your location, I'd say go for it.     A little hard for a bunch of Americans to give you advice, we're not in your market.  If you buy it I would just swap in new springs and so forth, just keep an eye on things during routine maintenance.  Also I would call Sig and ask them - if the frame cracks what would their policy be on replacing the frame and would that be a pain in NZ?

ETA: I saw you are buying a G17.  Good choice and as others have said, better value especially at the prices you mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't think I want to take the risk with the Sig. It's located in a different region from where I live, so I won't be able to inspect it well.

View Quote

Good move.

Why go with a 10,000+ round Sig (and 10,000+ rounds is not an exact number, could likely be more), when you can get a brand new G17? At a 5 figure round count, regardless of pistol, you're now talking far more than simple barrel wear to be concerned with.

As you know, the G17 has been proven over and over again as an exceptionally reliable pistol. I'd have made the same choice. Enjoy your new 9mm!

Funny how nearly every single used gun sold in America is advertised as being barely used, and having shot a few hundred rounds at best. At least the Sig owner was honest and didn't try to pawn off a high mileage gun as something it's not.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you get a 2022 in 9mm? It is a really good gun for the money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd get the sig instead. 10,000 rounds is not all that much really. It's a lot more than most guns fire, but that sig still has a ton of life in it. I see round counts as being more of an achievement than being negative like  mileage on a car. The only thing I would do would be replace the springs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Also glocks are one of the highest profit margin pistols out there. That Glock is way more expensive than new glocks here in the states. That p226 is still relatively close to US prices. If you look a few threads down, you'll see one about us police trade ins with unknown round counts for $500. These guns could have 3 rounds or 100,000 rounds threw them, but they will still sell well. Your sig is really not too far off in price.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#19]
yes but Glocks are 100k round count pistols, not sure any alloy frame gun can come close.   Just depends how bad you want the Sig.  The savings over new seem worthwhile and it has plenty of life left unless you are going to shoot several k rounds per year...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top