Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 11:09:48 PM EDT
I've been looking to get a .45 and I like the 220. I like it mostly because Chris Kyle used it. I want to know more about it, like the reliability, accuracy, specs, stuff like that. Also looking at the Springfield TRP for the same reason.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
P220 > 1911.

P220 is a single-stack so same capacity as a 1911 - so there's that.  The P220 is wider so a little harder to conceal.  On the plus-side, and this is where the argument goes totally to the P220, the P220 is infallibly reliable, ridiculously accurate, and (we are doing apples-to-apples, right?  Just discussing the SAO models?) you can keep the safety engaged when working the slide so it's safer than a 1911.

P220 all the way.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both and love both but nothing beats a P220...but the TRP is a fine pistol.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
OP buying a pistol because Kyle had it?  Seriously??  

On the other hand, I own (3) p220's, and (2) 1911's.  ....but perhaps you might consider a p227 for the double stack.

ETA:  Here's a good place to start learning about the p220 http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p220.aspx
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You won't go wrong with either. I have owned both.  

Both are tack drivers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Have owned two 220's and assorted 1911's over the years.  Currently have one 220 and three 1911's.

The 220 is accurate and reliable.  Downside is they can be tough to shoot.  The light weight, high bore axis, and 45 caliber can make it a handful.  It took me a while to warm up to the platform.  I sold the first one I had because I frankly couldn't shoot the thing.  I eventually came back and my current 220 isn't bad.  This is one pistol that definitely could use after market grips.  While I dislike finger groove grips in general and Hogues in particular they did help tame the beast.   The only other downside is honestly the price of new ones.  SIGs have never been cheap, hell they've never even been reasonable.  Both of mine were bought used.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I realize how wanting something because someone famous used it is childlike but if it's good enough for a SEAL than its good enough for me. I was looking at double stack .45's and found the FNX 45 tactical but its a little wide and bulky. From hearing this I just may go with the P220. Thanks to all
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes I realize how wanting something because someone famous used it is childlike but if it's good enough for a SEAL than its good enough for me. I was looking at double stack .45's and found the FNX 45 tactical but its a little wide and bulky. From hearing this I just may go with the P220. Thanks to all
View Quote

Chances are that deep down inside somewhere everyone is influenced, at least a little, by things their heroes say, do, have, or use.  It is a means for people to relate to people they hold in high respect.  While it might not be at the very top of everyone's list of reasons for doing things that doesn't mean it's not a factor at all or that it's not an important one to the individual.  

That being said, I have the P220 Combat model and it is one of my favorite handguns.  You really can't go wrong with a P220, it is in my opinion the perfect combination of classic and modern .45 ACP designs rolled into a single package.

Other food for thought...I am not sure about availability, but there is a Sig Sauer P series double stack .45 ACP model now... I believe it is the P227.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#8]
If you've never had or used a 1911 before get the 220.  

I have both.  

When carrying iwb or concealed the P220 is way more safe than the 1911 when inexperienced with it.  

Btw  Kyle also had and carried 1911s

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP buying a pistol because Kyle had it?  Seriously??  

On the other hand, I own (3) p220's, and (2) 1911's.  ....but perhaps you might consider a p227 for the double stack.

ETA:  Here's a good place to start learning about the p220 http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p220.aspx
View Quote

How many people bought S&W 44 mags because of Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry?  Books and movies are great advertisements for the gun industry.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both P220s and 1911s that I shoot 2-3 times a week and love them both a lot; but if I had to choose between them, without hesitation, it would be the P220s.

SIG manufactures SAO P220s for those who prefer single action only pistols over double action/single action.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#11]
(2) 220s in the safe........tried tons of others and always came back to them, I dont even bother looking at hand guns any longer

Try to find the Earlier stamped Germany/West germany slides.........also they now make a double stack 220

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#13]
My First Handgun was a COLT Series 70 I bought when I turned 21 that was 30 Years ago. A few years later I stumbled on a Browning BDA aka Sig P220 in 9mm I fell in love with it and within a couple of Months I found A BDA in 45 acp that one cost Me My COLT in trade. In the last 30 Years I have Owned a half Dozen P220's in 45 except for the one 9mm.
I have also Owned more than a Dozen 1911's I actually lost count lol, every P220 I have Owned has Shot as good as My best Shooting 1911 and better than Most. All of My P220's Including the one I have are/were West German Made I have never Owned a current made P220 and the newest Sig I have Owned was a MK25.

I currently have 2 1911's a SA MC Operator and a SA Milspec, My P220 will Shoot as good as both of the Springfields. I Reload so I load a 200 Grain Plated Bullet around 850fps and find it both Accurate and Easy Shooting in both the P220 and the 1911's 230 Grain Hardball does have quite a bit more Recoil but is still very Manageable with Practice.

If Chris Kyle Carrying a P220 Inspires You that's Great Everyone needs a Hero Mine was John Wayne.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:54:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys thanks for all your advice, yes I did know Chris Kyle used a 1911 I have a thread on the Springfield TRP in the Springfield forums page. I did plan on carrying concealed and if the 220 is easier than that's what I'll carry.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have both P220s and 1911s that I shoot 2-3 times a week and love them both a lot; but if I had to choose between them, without hesitation, it would be the P220s.

SIG manufactures SAO P220s for those who prefer single action only pistols over double action/single action.

View Quote

My 220 SAO is hands-down my favorite handgun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 6 or 7 of them and they are my everyday carry gun
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The only complaint I have against the P220 is the recoil, as others have noted. It has more felt recoil and muzzle flip than other 45 platforms.

As with all traditional Sigs I've used, it's reliable and quite accurate.   I like my 220 a lot, but I think the 1911 is a better platform overall. The 220 might be my second pick for a 45, although I haven't tried everything out there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife bought me a 227 for Christmas.  They are awesome.  I highly recommend you check them out.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I purchased a Sig 1911 Tacops yesterday.  I went to shoot it today and on the way out grabbed the 220 to shoot too.  When I walked back in the door, I set them on the counter, looked at my wife and said, "as bad as I wish it wasn't true, I actually like the 220 better."

(Wish it wasn't true because I just spent a $1,000 on the 1911 Tacops yesterday!  )
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Take a look at one of these.  It's a new German P220 from 2012-ish.  A pile of them got imported by PW Arms.  They are built like the older P-series guns with no rails, stamped slides and "dot the 'i'" sights.Wideners blew them out at $600 or so and they sold quick.

They pop up on Gunbroker and sell, in some cases, very cheap.  This one started at $500.

FWIW, I have one.  It replaced a P220R.  I like it much, much more.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Take a look at one of these.  It's a new German P220 from 2012-ish.  A pile of them got imported by PW Arms.  They are built like the older P-series guns with no rails, stamped slides and "dot the 'i'" sights.Wideners blew them out at $600 or so and they sold quick.

They pop up on Gunbroker and sell, in some cases, very cheap.  This one started at $500.

View Quote

Usually, ~98%+, both individuals and FFLs from the States of the Confederacy, have been more than kind in going out of their way to ship.

But after asking a question. That GB seller then edited his listing to not ship to our state.

Hope the OP has better luck. I have been looking for the NIB .45ACP 220 a long time now, with no luck yet. I am a few steps behind, they get to be very expensive or the seller, like Weidner's and your GB auction listing link, do not ship to our state.

I am no expert but for the purists. If you look close. The hammer looks MIM, with a seam line. Perhaps the locking block and other key parts are also MIM.

I still like the look of those PWA imports, and that hammer cut, even though they are not 100% made like other WG and DE guns. Wish I had at least 1-4+ NIB.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:03:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Usually, ~98%+, both individuals and FFLs from the States of the Confederacy, have been more than kind in going out of their way to ship.

But after asking a question. That GB seller then edited his listing to not ship to our state.

Hope the OP has better luck. I have been looking for the NIB .45ACP 220 a long time now, with no luck yet. I am a few steps behind, they get to be very expensive or the seller, like Weidner's and your GB auction listing link, do not ship to our state.

I am no expert but for the purists. If you look close. The hammer looks MIM, with a seam line. Perhaps the locking block and other key parts are also MIM.

I still like the look of those PWA imports, and that hammer cut, even though they are not 100% made like other WG and DE guns. Wish I had at least 1-4+ NIB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to be clear, I have no affiliation with that auction; just was pointing it out to the OP as I have a similar pistol and like it.  Mine's not for sale, though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I have had both; and several 220s and several 1911s

For CCW I go with P220 SAS with short reset trigger.  And it is accurate as stink.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey guys thanks for all your advice, yes I did know Chris Kyle used a 1911 I have a thread on the Springfield TRP in the Springfield forums page. I did plan on carrying concealed and if the 220 is easier than that's what I'll carry.  Thanks again
View Quote

I love my Sigs.
But IMO/IME, the 1911 is easier & more comfortable to ccw than a full size 220.

If ccw is the primary purpose of this particular gun, I would go with the 1911.

Having said that, the 220 is an awesome gun and one that fits me very well. I find it easy to shoot and comfortable. So does my wife.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had both and both are fine firearms.  Still have my 1911 but had to sell my 220.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a West German made SIG-Sauer P220 for may years. Extremely reliable, incredibly accurate (1" 5-shot groups at 25 yards), superb handling - lots of superlatives! I never modded mine at all, stayed stock the entire time I had it. I cannot praise it enough. Mine didn't have the rail nor did it have night sights, just the ball-on-a-box standard SIG sights. It's one of the few firearms I've sold that I would dearly love to have back.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#28]
why not 227?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I own the SIG, P220C3-45-BSSP-SAO It's an older model SIG .45 compact, but I was able to acquire it in near new condition.
It's a tack driver and easily concealed.
It's single stack, 6+1 and I carry 1 spare magazine which gives me 13 rnds total.
Of all my handguns (some 13 and counting) it's my favorite.
It meets all my needs for an EDC: accurate, reliable, and concealable.

I would post a photo, but I haven't figured out how yet.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#30]
220r carry here with SRT and night sights. Very accurate and dead nuts reliable. The SRT is a nice addition and after shooting the 220 with it I had to add it to the 229.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#31]
If you're not honed in the 1911 I wouldnt carry one.  Here's bubba.   After using his "other" weapon.
http://youtu.be/zYvAxLX6OzE
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh.   And by the way.   It wasn't negligent.  He had his finger on the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Regardless of the motivation to look at a P220, I think it is a good choice of a DA/SA pistol.  I'm a long-time 1911 fan, but on a whim purchased a P220 Carry (with a SRT) and have nothing but good things to say about it.  It is as accurate as sweet shooting 1911s, function has been perfect, balance is very good, and the trigger smooth in both SA and DA.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#34]
I've got both. I like both of them but I defer to my TRP. Mainly because my 220 is a deployment gun and is a bit of a safe queen.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Have owned two 220's and assorted 1911's over the years.  Currently have one 220 and three 1911's.

The 220 is accurate and reliable.  Downside is they can be tough to shoot.  The light weight, high bore axis, and 45 caliber can make it a handful.  It took me a while to warm up to the platform.  I sold the first one I had because I frankly couldn't shoot the thing.  I eventually came back and my current 220 isn't bad.  This is one pistol that definitely could use after market grips.  While I dislike finger groove grips in general and Hogues in particular they did help tame the beast.   The only other downside is honestly the price of new ones.  SIGs have never been cheap, hell they've never even been reasonable.  Both of mine were bought used.
View Quote

good info, I sold the 220 I had for the same reason. Loved the pistol but I couldn't shoot it that great at all
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I love my Sigs.

Having said that, the 220 is an awesome gun and one that fits me very well. I find it easy to shoot and comfortable. So does my wife.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love my Sigs.

This is why I opted for the Sig 220 Carry.  I really like the 1911's, how can you argue with their history, but the 220 is a great pistol.  I really like the Carry model.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top