Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2015 2:17:37 PM EDT
Argh.  First my dad had tons of issues with a pair of 224s he bought a year ago.   Both in 9mm.  Sent them back and they claimed to have fixed the extractors and polished the feed ramps.  Went from lots of issues to a few failures to extract every 100 rounds.

So i bought one a few months ago thinking they had some issues tuned out.  Started decent, a couple FTEs in the first couple hundred rounds but generally fine with JHPs.  Then a few more hickups and now with 115/124gr FMJs, I get serveral FTEs per 100rnds.  Strong and rigid grip/arms.  Worse with the extended mag with sleeve.  Better with the 12rnd short mags.  But yikes, you'd think after 500rnds it would be tuned out.  Guess I'll have to send it in.

Anyone seeing issues with 224s?  Better luck I wonder with guns in .40?

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I seem to recall Bruce Gray stating he felt the .40 cal P224 was undersprung. But I also recall him stating he would expect FTF issues as it didn't have the strength to strip the following round and return to battery. I don't recall him speaking about the 9mm however.

For clarification, is your "FTE" failure to extract or eject?  If springs were weak, I'd expect proper ejection. If they're trying to fix the extractor, I'd suspect you mean failure to extract. If that's the case, what are you seeing on the cases that were involved in the malfunctions?  What type of ammo/cases?  Brass, aluminum, steel?  Reloads or factory?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, good point.  On my 224 it's almost always a failure to eject.  Lots of stove pipes.  If I recall, I've only had a couple failures to eject and both times the casing was binding in the chamber as I was easily able to rack the slide and it flew out.

I've only used factory loads.  Variety of hollow points cycled well including Hornady FTX, Winchester, and Gold Dot in 124 and 147gr.  FMJs were mostly Federal white box in 115gr.  Rounds yesterday were 124gr Magtech that the range guys said people have been really happy with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a P224 with decocker, and have had very few issues.  Occasionally it fails to go back into battery, I have to hit the slide from behind to get it back to lock up.  Usually when it is running dry.  Otherwise, great gun.   Sorry to hear about the issues.  Undersprung, maybe!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 40 cal 224 extreme DAK that was manufactured 01/2013 and never had one issue with it. Only put around 500 rounds through it though. Ended up trading it for another gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top