Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2015 4:41:43 PM EDT
CDNN has used 229's in 40 S&W for either very good or excellent/like new condition for between $470 and $570

Looking to pick one up, but wanted to get the pulse of the SIG owners here. Should I get a railed model or without?

What else should I be looking for? What should I avoid.

Possible EDC piece.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Without.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Without.
View Quote

Any particular reason?

And are the railless guns older/have more rounds and wear?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The only Sig pistol with a true picatinny rail is the Mk25, the rest of the Sig pistols use a proprietary rail system.

I never could get a really firm fit on my railed P220 and my surefire X200.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Just personal preference.  I like the looks of it without a rail.  I think the 229 looks great as it was originally designed.  I have one in .357 Sig caliber that is a tackdriver.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just personal preference.  I like the looks of it without a rail.  I think the 229 looks great as it was originally designed.  I have one in .357 Sig caliber that is a tackdriver.
View Quote

And I will say the opposite....I think the rail gives it a meaner look. But I don't really utilize the rail, so, it's really just aesthetics to me.

You won't really go wrong either way, OP!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the clean looks of a non-railed gun but it is all personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only Sig pistol with a true picatinny rail is the Mk25, the rest of the Sig pistols use a proprietary rail system.

View Quote

I believe the SP2022 and P320 have true 1913 rails. But those aren't from the classic line up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Why not get the one with rail and that way you can make choices about adding a light or not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:51:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same pistol here, my EDC gun.
I have no use for rails on a handgun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Without.
View Quote

This^^^
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Without.  Consistent use of the front sight is all one needs in the daytime.  At night, consistent presentation is all one needs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I go a lot of places where it is dark. so I prefer rails. I carry a flashlight, with a rail attachment on it, so I can clip it on my edc if needed
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have two SIGs with rails and two without. My guns for home defense (P220 Elite Dark TB and P226R 9mm) are the railed guns - have a light/laser mounted on them. My two carry guns (P220 Carry SAS and P229-1 SAS 9mm) are not railed. I carry a handheld flashlight when I carry and don't see the point to the rail. If you are looking for EDC I would recommend no rail and carry a handheld light. If not a carry piece go for the rail. Either way you are getting an amazing pistol and the rail is just personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Had a P229 W/rail, very hard to draw from leather, the rail digs into the holster and is blocky and wide. Now have a M11A1 and like this variation much more. Fits the same holster as my G19.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a P220 and a P226, both with the proprietary curved rails. Both were purchased used and if I had my choice I'd not have chosen the rail, simply because if it's not a standard picatinney rail it's kinda useless to me. Only good thing I can say about the Sig curved rail is at least it looks better than the standard pic rail. My But 'no rail' looks better. My HK USP is the same, rail is specific to HK.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a P220 and a P226, both with the proprietary curved rails. Both were purchased used and if I had my choice I'd not have chosen the rail, simply because if it's not a standard picatinney rail it's kinda useless to me. Only good thing I can say about the Sig curved rail is at least it looks better than the standard pic rail. My But 'no rail' looks better. My HK USP is the same, rail is specific to HK.
View Quote

My P229 fits my surefire x300 perfectly using the U plate. Don't know what you are talking about it being proprietary. The USP rail is in fact proprietary and needs an adapter to use with a light.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't have that much use for a gun the size of a P229 or larger that doesn't have a rail. I would get the P229R. (I'm interested in getting one myself).
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure glad I read this thread.  the 226 is on my list for a HD pistol which I want to mount a light to.  I'd have to go to the MK25 to get a standard rail??
What is the sig rail used for?  Sig lights/lasers?  Stupid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure glad I read this thread.  the 226 is on my list for a HD pistol which I want to mount a light to.  I'd have to go to the MK25 to get a standard rail??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rail on the other Sig P22_Rs is picatinny-ish just not full spec. The X200/300 works fine on it (I had a P226R/X200 combo issued for years) the mounting just isn't as solid as some others. It doesn't effect the usability. Other lights that tighten down with a screw, like the TLR-1, it makes even less difference. Also the MK25 is the only one, I think, with the 1913 rail which can make it harder to find holsters that fit. There also appears to have been some gradual adjustment of the rail specs over the years for better fit as some of the newer models don't have full 1913 spec but don't fit some holsters that older railed guns do.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The rail on the other Sig P22_Rs is picatinny-ish just not full spec. The X200/300 works fine on it (I had a P226R/X200 combo issued for years) the mounting just isn't as solid as some others. It doesn't effect the usability. Which lights that tighten down with a screw, like the TLR-1, it make even less difference. Also the MK25 is the only one, I think, with the 1913 rail which can make it harder to find holsters that fit. There also appears to have been some gradual adjustment of the rail specs over the years for better fit as some of the newer models don't have full 1913 spec but don't fit some holsters that older failed guns do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rail on the other Sig P22_Rs is picatinny-ish just not full spec. The X200/300 works fine on it (I had a P226R/X200 combo issued for years) the mounting just isn't as solid as some others. It doesn't effect the usability. Which lights that tighten down with a screw, like the TLR-1, it make even less difference. Also the MK25 is the only one, I think, with the 1913 rail which can make it harder to find holsters that fit. There also appears to have been some gradual adjustment of the rail specs over the years for better fit as some of the newer models don't have full 1913 spec but don't fit some holsters that older failed guns do.

Thanks for this info.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#22]
What mag extender is on your 229?
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What mag extender is on your 229?
View Quote

Not sure, these two mags came with it when I bought it used. The mags themselves are sig marked mec gars. The extended pad adds 3 rounds. I love them though, very short for 18 rounds of firepower.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:32:44 AM EDT
[#24]
i just picked up a P229r and the Streamlight TRL-1 fits very tight.  Picked it up at a show for 450
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually the Combat models as well as a few Special Configuration models have true Picatinny rails as well. Also a few MK25s have slipped through with the regular curved Sig rail over the years.

If you plan to run a WML or top it off with an optic through the use of an optic bridge I would get one without the rail. Otherwise get one with a rail, get a Surefire (I also am a fan of the DG switch) and start training with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Personally I'd go with rail. If you don't need it it's pretty unobtrusive. If you do decide to mount a light then it's there. And don't worry about it being "proprietary" I've mounted almost everything imaginable without issues.

It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Personally I'd go with rail. If you don't need it it's pretty unobtrusive. If you do decide to mount a light then it's there. And don't worry about it being "proprietary" I've mounted almost everything imaginable without issues.

View Quote

Have a 226R and 229R-E2. I don't mount anything to them but it's there if I want to. Otherwise I don't even notice it. CCW the 229R in a crossbreed, no issues.

and they shoot great
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have a 229 without the rail and a 226 with the rail.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top