Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2014 9:18:05 PM EDT
So I was taking apart my new to me SAS today and when putting it back together I noticed something off on one of the grip screws (well two actually). When I tightened it up it more or less just started to turn free after relatively little torque. I dont see how it could have been over tightening as I was using a torque driver set to 15in/lbs. When I backed the screw out most of the threads came with it. Upon further inspection it looks like there is some sort of insert or some sort of repair was attempted on the bottom screw as well. The left side of the gun seems fine however, so my guess would be the previous owner buggered it up and then sold it, which would explain why he was willing to let it go for 400 bucks despite being  otherwise like new.  I used some blue loctite to get things back together in the hopes the gun will be usable in the mean time, but I'm not entirely sure how to proceed.

Realistically what are my options? Has anyone had this issue? Is sig responsive to this sort of problem, and if so how much is it going to cost me?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I stripped a thread on my P229.  I called Sig and there was not much they could do short of paying their custom shop to tap the thread to the next size up.  Your options are to go with a slightly larger #8-32 screw, find a gunsmith to install m4 helicoil, or install E2 grips.  Loctite has a form a thread product, it somewhat worked for me as long as I didn't remove the screw.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#2]
E2 grip set fits without grip screws, that is the easy option.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought there were still inserts that threaded in to where the old grip screws went?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]
E2 grips snap in place.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
E2 grips snap in place.
View Quote

I double checked in the shop yesterday and you guys are correct. I may end up going that route as it solves the issue, at least until I can find out what to do about having the threads on the frame corrected.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the E2 grips to the standard grips. It feels more natural.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Still trying to visualize the problem, OP.

You have male threads from the screw stuck in the hole?   -Or- you have female threads from the hole that stripped out?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You have male threads from the screw stuck in the hole?   -Or- you have female threads from the hole that stripped out?
View Quote

Female threads from the hole came out pretty much as one chunk when I backed it out. Based on looking at was left of the bottom screw hole's threads it appears as though the last owner used some sort of thread repair compound. It looked like there was silvery material forming a sleeve of sorts in there. The other side looks pretty much fine though. There is actually still anodizing in the threads there so I know those are good. There is no way it was the original threads on the right side (the stripped side)though. Less than 15in/lbs shouldnt strip threads regardless of how fine they are.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Female threads from the hole came out pretty much as one chunk when I backed it out. Based on looking at was left of the bottom screw hole's threads it appears as though the last owner used some sort of thread repair compound. It looked like there was silvery material forming a sleeve of sorts in there. The other side looks pretty much fine though. There is actually still anodizing in the threads there so I know those are good. There is no way it was the original threads on the right side (the stripped side)though. Less than 15in/lbs shouldnt strip threads regardless of how fine they are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OIC, now.  Yeah, you're gonna have to rethread for the long term solution, which isn't that big a deal.  Except then you may have to drill out your grip on that side to accept the larger screw.  PITA, I know.  Of course if you like the E2's (I don't), you've got a simple fix.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OIC, now.  Yeah, you're gonna have to rethread for the long term solution, which isn't that big a deal.  Except then you may have to drill out your grip on that side to accept the larger screw.  PITA, I know.  Of course if you like the E2's (I don't), you've got a simple fix.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just ordered a set of e2's. I actually like them as far as feel. Asthetics I'm not so sure about, but it's an easy fix.

I talked to a Sig rep yesterday as well and he claimed that as long as the frame wasnt trashed they could install an insert to correct the problem. He didnt see it being more than about 60 bucks plus what ever shipping will be, which shouldnt be too bad as long as I send it through the shop.  So I'll probly see how the e2 grips do and then sometime after Christmas send it off to sig to install the helicoil or whatever insert they use.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Shipping can be expensive both ways, unless you have a ffl shop. If it were me, and you didn't care for the E2 grips, I would look at selling or trading it in on something else. It sucks, but if they can't fix it, you could be out of even more money. It is a tough call. Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shipping can be expensive both ways, unless you have a ffl shop. If it were me, and you didn't care for the E2 grips, I would look at selling or trading it in on something else. It sucks, but if they can't fix it, you could be out of even more money. It is a tough call. Keep us posted.
View Quote

I paid 400 bucks for it otherwise like new. I suppose it's not the end of the world to have to put a little bit into it as long as its not an insane amount. I have tried the e2's on other sigs and I like them. It's just a matter of being OCD about the gun not being right even if I'm not using the screw holes at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
This is one thing I wish Sig would change. It would probably cost an extra dollar or two in production to add a steel threaded insert for the grip screws but guns this nice should have it. And yes I understand the argument that you really don't ever need to remove the grips but people screw up and accidents happen.

Even the lowly Beretta 92 has replaceable thread inserts.

Oh well, it'll probably never happen but a guy can wish I guess.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:24:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and believe me, you will like the grips much better.  I own pistols with each style, and will be switching to all E2 grips.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top