Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 4:47:02 PM EDT
I have been doing a lot of research on the P320c lately, and I was about ready to buy one as my new carry gun, until I watched this video:

Bearing in mind that my choice was down to either a Glock 19 G4 or the P320c, I was kind of caught off guard by how complex the workings of the P320 are, including the striker mechanism in the slide. It just looks intricate and dainty compared to the equivalent Glock system, more like a watch than a firearm. Am I alone in being concerned about the complexity and number of parts in the Sig fire control system, compared to the Glock? Having a better trigger pull doesn't mean much if it's too fragile for long-term use.

Opinions welcome, experiences valued.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It actually seems less complex to me. Sure there are more parts than a glock, but being able to take out the complete trigger mechanism makes cleaning so simple. You can just pull it out, soak it in hoppes or spray it down with gun scrubber, and out it back in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It actually seems less complex to me. Sure there are more parts than a glock, but being able to take out the complete trigger mechanism makes cleaning so simple. You can just pull it out, soak it in hoppes or spray it down with gun scrubber, and out it back in.
View Quote

I would agree if the parts and pins were captured. In that video he talks about the pins in the FCG walking out if you're not careful taking it out of the frame. Seems fragile.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
While I do not own a 320 I have experience with the P250.
The FCG was removed and cleaned many times without any issues.
I'm also very interested in a 320 but have been waiting for more reviews.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read the vp9 is very complicated as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Seems fragile.
View Quote

Is that the word you want to use?

Complex, intricate, complicated maybe?  I seriously doubt it's fragile.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems fragile.

That's the word I chose. In the video, it looks like multiple small moving parts.

And why the confrontational tone?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a new Full Sized P320, and to be realistic I see no reason to tear it apart past the normal field strip.  Yes I guess if you dropped it in a swamp or poured mud into it then maybe, but I think just as easy you could remove the trigger group mechanism, soak it with some bore cleaner, and them spray off any debris with a can of gun scrubber or something along that line.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:28:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just bought a new Full Sized P320, and to be realistic I see no reason to tear it apart past the normal field strip.  Yes I guess if you dropped it in a swamp or poured mud into it then maybe, but I think just as easy you could remove the trigger group mechanism, soak it with some bore cleaner, and them spray off any debris with a can of gun scrubber or something along that line.
View Quote

How do you like the 320? What other polymer striker guns have you had/shot that you can compare it to?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had my p 320 carry for about a month .  And so far so good.     There is no need too strip it that far.  Don't fix what ain't broke.   The only thing I've done is install some big dots.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's the word I chose. In the video, it looks like multiple small moving parts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems fragile.

Oh my no, not confrontational at all.

You chose fragile, I read 'delicate, prone to breakage' which I hope it isn't.  Tiny parts don't necessarily mean fragile, and Sigs are usually pretty tough.

My secret desire is for Sig to make a 10mm 320 so I can dump my Glocks.  10mm and fragile don't go together.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You chose fragile, I read 'delicate, prone to breakage' which I hope it isn't.  Tiny parts don't necessarily mean fragile, and Sigs are usually pretty tough.

My secret desire is for Sig to make a 10mm 320 so I can dump my Glocks.  10mm and fragile don't go together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems fragile.

Fair enough, apologies for the misunderstanding.

I really, really want the Sig to be tough enough.. I love the striker action without having a 'dingus' on the trigger. The grip angle and modular frame is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I really, really want the Sig to be tough enough.. I love the striker action without having a 'dingus' on the trigger. The grip angle and modular frame is just a bonus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems fragile.

They submitted it to the new handgun trials for military. Im pretty sure they put it thru the ringers to make sure its durable enough.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, nothing is idiot proof so yes, if someone is not careful it'll be a mess but nothing to it, there are tons of videos on YouTube.  

I have P250 and I am 100% happy with it, have taken it apart many times, one will learn to do it the right way once one figure it out, and one will learn not to do the the wrong way very quickly.....
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Your question will be answered by father time, I have both fullsize and compact with about 2k combined rounds on them,
in my and many others analysis they are simpler and more rugged than glock's detailed parts, especially the firing pin springs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your question will be answered by father time, I have both fullsize and compact with about 2k combined rounds on them,
in my and many others analysis they are simpler and more rugged than glock's detailed parts, especially the firing pin springs.
View Quote

This is interesting, considering the parts in the slide were what looked the flimsiest to me. Good info.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would agree if the parts and pins were captured. In that video he talks about the pins in the FCG walking out if you're not careful taking it out of the frame. Seems fragile.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned at least six different Glocks and I now own a P320C. I am a fan of both designs, but if you asked me which one I thought was more durable...Id say its the SIG. The stainless steel chassis is much more rigid than the Glock frame. I'm not sure what you mean about pins not being captured, because they certainly are when the FCG is placed inside the polymer grip module. This is unlike the Glock design, which has three different uncaptured pins...which I have personally seen "walk out" when firing my own Glocks.

The slide design on the P320C is very similar to the Glock. It disassembles the same way, with the only major difference being that the firing pin safety is integral to the striker assembly instead of being a separate piece. It doesn't feel flimsy at all in my hands, certainly not more flimsy than the Glock's striker assembly which includes plastic parts.

Bottom line: the Glock is a proven durable design. From everything I've gathered about the P320C after a thousand rounds through it...its just as durable if not more durable than any Glock I've owned. But in the end, only time will tell.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a P250, a Glock 17 and a P2022 and by far the P320 in my hands at least is more controllable, very accurate, reliable, and just feels good in a natural hold.  Right now I would have to say this is one of my keepers for sure.  In fact looking forward to the conversion kits coming out over the next few months,  Want to for sure get the 9mm Carry option as well as the 45 ACP carry option for it.  So far only have a minor issue, and that is that the recoil spring is stout, and the it did cycle all my target loads but would not lock back on the last round.  But   with regular ammo if functions fine.  Right now I have not seen any reduced power springs available, but I'm sure that they will come.  But for now I've loaded up some normal 9mm loads and the gun is functioning flawless.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a P250, a Glock 17 and a P2022 and by far the P320 in my hands at least is more controllable, very accurate, reliable, and just feels good in a natural hold.  Right now I would have to say this is one of my keepers for sure.  In fact looking forward to the conversion kits coming out over the next few months,  Want to for sure get the 9mm Carry option as well as the 45 ACP carry option for it.  So far only have a minor issue, and that is that the recoil spring is stout, and the it did cycle all my target loads but would not lock back on the last round.  But   with regular ammo if functions fine.  Right now I have not seen any reduced power springs available, but I'm sure that they will come.  But for now I've loaded up some normal 9mm loads and the gun is functioning flawless.
View Quote

Can you give any more opinions about it compared to the glock 17?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Got to  handle a 320 the other day. Hopefully the local rental range will get one soon. This may very well be the next pistol I buy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#21]
For me a Glock 17 and most of the other  Glock pistols  that I have fired just do not feel right in my hand.  If I try a fast point and shoot drill almost always the barrel ends up pointing low and I have to bring it up to the target.  I was told if I shoot it more that I would learn to compensate for this over time.  The Sig seems to just have very good point of aim for me.  Both seem to feed reliably with about everything but light loads, I would have to say that when I shoot paper that the Sig is a bit more accurate, but that could be due to the way the gun feels.  One very nice thing is the changeability of the Sig, With a Glock 17 you have a full sized 9mm and that is the end of it.  With the P320 You can change barrel lengths, grip sizes and calibers in about 5 minutes, or less.  The weight and the size of the two are about the same, Stock our of the box trigger pulls are about the same pull weight but the Sig has a much better and smoother break than the Glock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top