Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 5:10:59 PM EDT
I've been looking for my next handgun purchase.  Considering a used Sig 226R (.40/.357) with the DAK trigger.  I've seen them priced around $400-$500 which seems like  a great price.  This will mostly be a range gun and I'll probably get a threaded 9mm conversion barrel for it eventually.  

Are any of you happy with the DAK triggers?

Do the SA/DA models command a premium?  

Should I hold out for a SA/DA model?  Any leads on a cheap SA/DA?

Changing out the DAK for a SA/DA trigger looks to cost around $200....  Are there any DAK upgrades like the light LEM for HK's?  I might be happy with the stock DAK, I really have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a DAK and sold it. After shooting DA/SA for years dak sucks. Watch gunbroker for decent priced P226 I've seen several under $500 over the last month.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I carried a P226R DAK in .357 for 7 years and it was a very good gun (still have it). I prefer DA/SA over DAK but now when I pull the DAK out I find it's not as bad as I remember it (I converted the .357 to DA/SA but still have a 9mm DAK with E2 grips). For $400-500 they are a good deal if you are ok with the DAK. It will cost around $100-150 to convert to DA/SA so if you want DA/SA you will probably be cheaper buying one already set up that way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a 2006ish trade-in 226R DAK in 9mm a few years back for something like $430 delivered with three mags and night sights.  The first one ordered had a German-made frame and was just phenomenal.  A friend really liked it so I told him I'd just order another and sold it to him.  The second one I received, which is pictured below, has a US-made frame and when shaken you can practically see the slide moving on the frame - it rattles like a baby's toy but the darn thing works great and is very accurate.

I'm almost totally a DAO person and to me the DAK is probably the best iteration of it perhaps second only to the first generation of S&W DAO 3rd Gens but they're already half-cocked so it may not be fair for me to compare the two directly.  

For me the DAK is a long but fairly light and very smooth action.  I don't use the second stroke option which is a bit shorter, a bit heavier but just as smooth.

I've carried this 226R DAK on-duty now almost since getting it because it's accurate, holds a good number of rounds (primary mag is an 18-round MecGar) and was already surplus so I didn't/don't have to worry about it getting bunged up.

IMHO if someone takes some time to truly learn DAO/DAK and get past the "ewww, it's DAO", it can be just as effective and accurate as DA/SA while eliminating a step in the process (decocking, etc.) which isn't a huge deal but I'm a big proponent of simple.

Pic for fun:

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Dak trigger felt like complete garbage to me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
After one day at the range my 229 went back to SIG for a DA/SA conversion.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 229R 9mm DAK that I like a lot.
Constant trigger pull every time but I also enjoy shooting revolvers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top