Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2014 4:33:24 PM EDT
 I see  some of the P226 have a  long, external extractor.
The ( 2014 manufacture )  MK25   has a much shorter, pivoting  extractor internal to the slide.

Is the internal extractor unique to the  Navy Seals model, or are all the new 226's  so equipped ?

. Is one style  of superior to the other ?

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The general consensus is that the short extractor is superior.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Does someone have pics of the different styles?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Google is your friend. There are three types of extractors. On early SIGs its a tensioned internal like 1911s. Then there's the short external type and within the last couple of years the introduction of the long external MIM type.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does someone have pics of the different styles?
View Quote

Here is a comparison of the short and long extractors on milled stainless slide SIGs (not my picture):

And this pic (also not mine) shows the internal extractor of the West German-made stamped carbon steel slide compared to the short external extractor of the milled slide P226 below it. You can also see the pinned breechblock of the West German 2-piece slide vs. the one-piece milled slide:

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't honestly say which is actually superior; but I have tens of thousands of rounds through my short extractor SIGs without any extraction problems whatsoever, so based on my experience and given the choice, I'd prefer to buy a short extractor pistol.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
There are 4 P-series extractors so far, used in the following production order...

1. internal for stamped slides

2. short extractor

3. short MIM extractor

4. long MIM extractor

The short MIM extractors kept breaking, and so were re-designed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top