Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2014 10:48:04 PM EDT
So I am really interested in getting a Sig P226, either the standard model or the Enhanced Elite. The only issue is that I have smaller hands making it hard for me to reach the decocker without adjusting my grip. Is this really that big of an issue? Meaning, is it something that I should be concerned about thus hindering my choice to buy one? The way I see it, one would only use the decocker after putting a round in the chamber and in a calm environment, so not being able to do it with one hand or without adjusting the grip isn't an issue. Ive never really picked up a handgun and been able to say this feels good or this feels bad, other than 1911s (good) and Glocks (bad). The Sig feels fine as far as I am concerned. Just wanted to see if this is an issue at all and should look more into the P226 SAO that doesn't have a decocker and has a shorter reach to the trigger. Hopefully someone in the same small hands boat who owns a Sig can give some insight. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I wear small size gloves and can work with it. You'll get used to it after a while. Take a class with it and that will help a lot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with your thinking.
The decocker is something never used in time of threat or stress , only at your time of choosing when you can carefully shift your grip to reach the lever .

If you think about the best place for such a control is out of your normal grip area where you won't get tangled with it .

I believe I read about some new factory one piece grips that are extra slim which might be something to consider.I believe they will work on existing guns.

I am carefull to not put a lot of faith in perceived "feel" of a pistol until I have shot it a bit. Some years back I wound up with a Glock 30 in a multi gun trade. I was horrified at the "feel" which sort of was like trying to hold a brick in my hand. Before I traded it off I took it to the range and was absolutely astounded by how well I shot it . Still feels like shit but I can tear the daylights out of the target with it . Who knew?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Since you can't change the placement of the decocker, you can use the E2 grips which shorten the length from the rear of the grip to the decocker.
As far as the trigger reach goes, before you decide on going to an SAO, consider the installation of a short trigger.
My hand size is between small and medium, even with E2 grips and a short trigger I have to change my grip to engage the decocking lever when reholstering, I don't consider it to be an issue at all.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So I am really interested in getting a Sig P226, either the standard model or the Enhanced Elite. The only issue is that I have smaller hands making it hard for me to reach the decocker without adjusting my grip. Is this really that big of an issue? Meaning, is it something that I should be concerned about thus hindering my choice to buy one? The way I see it, one would only use the decocker after putting a round in the chamber and in a calm environment, so not being able to do it with one hand or without adjusting the grip isn't an issue. Ive never really picked up a handgun and been able to say this feels good or this feels bad, other than 1911s (good) and Glocks (bad). The Sig feels fine as far as I am concerned. Just wanted to see if this is an issue at all and should look more into the P226 SAO that doesn't have a decocker and has a shorter reach to the trigger. Hopefully someone in the same small hands boat who owns a Sig can give some insight. Thanks.
View Quote

You did not indicate your glove-hand size, so it is difficult to visualize just what you mean by small hands.

As far as de-cocking goes. With an empty handgun. Are you right handed? Have you practiced de-cocking with your left thumb, while both hands are in the grip positions, holding handgun pointed in a safe direction?  With the same left thumb, you may also access the mag release button. Do your trainers feel these are safe practices for you, until you get squared away?

A short trigger would also be nice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I have fairly large hands and shift my grip slightly to decock (p229 and p226).
As mentioned by you and others, you will only be decocking when there is no action going on (ie at home when first loading it, or after any shooting is over and you need to move or reholster) so a slight grip change won't be a big deal.  I do like the point that you are better off having it slightly out of the way so you won't accidently decock when you don't want to.  I hadn't really considered that, but makes sense that it is actualluy better to have to change grip slightly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top