Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 5:19:26 PM EDT
Been circling the drain on non-1911 45 for a while now and I've got two of these located within an hour drive.  One is used at Cabella's 9/10 condition $950 on it.  The other is new with 2 10 round mags at LGS $1,025.00

I'm leaning towards the new version and here's my question:

Are these slides capable of being milled to accept an RMR?

Otherwise, are these prices good?  Seem to be about the going rate given what I've seen online.

The reviews of these pistols seem to be unanimously excellent.  I've currently got two 1911's (have owned & sold a Kimber, 2 Springfields) which are a Ruger SR1911 and an RIA tactical (with the full length dust cover).  Both of these are laser beam accurate and have great triggers.  In your estimation, what's the learning curve like when moving to the DA/SA trigger?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
nobody?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Going from the 1911 trigger to the P220 DA/SA shouldn't be too different for you... they're pretty similar to me. I never noticed a massive difference and that's comparing my P220 to my VBOB.

As far as milling the top of the dust cover for an RMR I have no idea... you'd have to either ask SIG Sauer customer support or a gunsmith that's done it before.

The price seems about right for the used one AND the new one... Sig's aren't cheap and around $1,000 for a brand spanking new dark elite tb sounds about right... plus it comes with 2 magazines. It might not seem like a big deal but just last year I was reading that pistol buyers were getting shorted on their new pistols and only getting 1 magazine when they normally shipped with 2... some, not all gunstores were selling the extra magazines off for extra profit.

The ultimate question is are you comfortable with the price?

I'd suggest 5 things.

#1. Buy the new one.
#2. Get a holster for it.
#3. Carry it
#4. Ask on sigforum.com about whether the dust cover would accept an RMR.
#5. Enjoy your SIG. They're accurate.

Nice choice of pistol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been told about 50/50 that it's a steep learning curve going to da/sa, but how freaking hard can it be? I'm scooping up the new one
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
So get yourself a P220 SAO so you don't have to worry about learning a new manual of arms.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-sao.aspx
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you ride the thumb safety on a SAO 220 like on a 1911? I can't find one to handle or shoot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you ride the thumb safety on a SAO 220 like on a 1911? I can't find one to handle or shoot.
View Quote

You sure can. I don't have a P220 SAO but I do have an X-Five Tactical and they are very similar in sixe and function. The manual of arms is very very similar to the P220 SAO.

I ride the thumb safety.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Dang it I need to find one to try out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both the P220 Dark Elite and a Sig 1911 STX. You will hate the factory DA trigger on the P220 compared to the SA trigger on the 1911, but it can be made much better with little effort and about $25 worth of springs. For me the gun jumped quite a bit in DA unless I use a lot of finger, which then is too much with SA. The short reset SA trigger on the P220 DSE breaks like a glass rod, but had a tendency to pinch my finger between the back of the trigger and front of the frame at first. The P220 more than makes up for it's DA trigger in reliability. The STX has a tighter chamber than the P220, as evident by severely scored casings, and is tighter overall. Accuracy is about even with the STX being easier for me to shoot, just love the feel of a 1911 and I have a lot more experience with that platform.

I made the choice a while back that the P220 will be my home defense weapon of choice versus the STX based solely on reliability, after having the STX fail to feed a couple of times with hollow-point ammo. RN ammo has always fed flawlessly in the STX though.

I've never tried the SAO P220 but it might be the way to go, always heard good things about them but I really didn't want a gun with a safety. Might as well stick with the 1911 if you are going to have a safety to fumble with.

Those prices look about right too. Not sure about milling the slide but I don't see why it couldn't be.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top