Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 2:43:03 PM EDT
As aback up gun, or a CCW deep carry gun.  I have a one in .380 and my wife CAN rack the slide.  I have it loaded with a Corbon HP and she can get this little baby into action quickly from a CCW dedicated purse.  My best friend has one in 9mm he uses as a backup gun using ankle carry.  He is a Detective Sergeant and has pulled it but not had to use it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a P290 and like it. It is a tad heavy, but I carry it in a pocket holster as a replacement for my Beretta .32 Tomcat which I pocket carried.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there any advantage to carrying a P290 in 380 over a 9mm?

I have a 9mm and have been happy with it for the most part. I find it a little heavy for the size but not heavy enough to keep me from carrying it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a p290 but didn't know they came in .380.  Are you talking about the p238 and p938?

ETA:  just got home and checked Sig site, never mind.  Didn't know about the .380, not sure why they did it.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a 9mm and have been happy with it for the most part. I find it a little heavy for the size but not heavy enough to keep me from carrying it.
View Quote

If weight is a concern the .380 version weighs a little less than the 9mm.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree it is heavier than a few others in its size but getting back on target for that second shot is also easier. I had a Kahr PM9 and got out of the 9mm for a period of time. Now that I am back into the caliber I purchased the 290rs and added Galloway trigger and springs and with a smoother trigger this thing is a keeper. The PM9 was a few oz's lighter but getting back on target was harder than the Sig. Price wise the Sig was also a bargain over the Kahr.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked up on SIGs webpage. 4.1 oz lighter then the 9mm version. Interesting. I wonder where the weight savings came from? I thought the 380 and 9mm were suppose to the same size.

To me, the extra 4.1 oz is worth it to carry a 9mm over a 380. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I just looked up on SIGs webpage. 4.1 oz lighter then the 9mm version. Interesting. I wonder where the weight savings came from? I thought the 380 and 9mm were suppose to the same size.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They shape the slide differently and save weight there.  Same width and height - just a little different shape here and there.  Might help the .380 cycle too.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I was just about to ask if SIG ever worked out the kinks with this gun. I heard they were full of issues from the get go.

Also curious about the weight issue. What other pistols in this size weigh less?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#9]
No kinks in mine at all.  Part of the weight difference is that the 9 has double springs the .380 has a single spring.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay they've redesigned it. I've heard that before from CZ about their P-07 and was fooled into buying one of those. I'm not sure I completely trust SIG either with their nonexistent, beta testing Q.C. program.

So riddle me this, when the P290 hit the streets, it was the hottest thing out there in a sub-compact. Although I'm not a member, I peruse the different SIG forums and they were all over it at the time. There were many threads here as well. Why now does nobody even mention it except for in this sub-forum.

I realize that isn't a clear indictment of the gun, but it does make me think. I want to trust the gun. Hell, I want one. I just hate wasting money on a turd.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 290 and like it a lot. It replaced my G26. My only complainant is the weight BUT I can live with this. I looked at Rugers, Kahrs, S&W, XDs, and a couple of others. I went with the SIG. No regrets. I have no issues shooting the 290 even without the extended mags. I have also had no problems with the gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I've owned two P290RS'. Very accurate, easy/comfortable to conceal. However, both had light strike issues w/certain brands of practice ammo (primarily GECO but occasional PMC as well). W/quality SD ammo there were no issues whatsoever.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I have to say I have owned the Ruger, Kahr and this has an advantage over most others not mentioned here and that is the restrike ability with the 290RS. I have yet to need to use this but knowing that its there offer's some relief. With other pistols S&W 6904 I have when shooting and the round failed to go off the second trigger pull always has set off the ammo I was using. I am thinking the quality of some ammo today is of lesser quality of ammo of the past and I only say that because I have been reading more ammo related problems.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I checked the SIG website and I didn't find the answer to this question...

While I'm sure that the 9mm is a locked breach, is the .380?  
Thanks
TS11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top