Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 6:31:48 AM EDT
I have been considering a Sig P229. The price tag is a little bit of a shock compared to other handguns in it's class. So, what do you get for the extra money?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been considering a Sig P229. The price tag is a little bit of a shock compared to other handguns in it's class. So, what do you get for the extra money?
View Quote

Smooth as butter action, Insane reliability, supporting a company that is telling the ATF to fuck off, good craftsmanship, and kick ass customer service should it be needed.  Pretty damn accurate too. They also seem to hold their resale value (around here anyways) so if you get into one and dont like it you can usually sell it and at least break even or come damn close. If you are worried about the price tag find a SIG dealer that has SIG certified used guns. They are used but have been completely gone through by sig and had anything replaced that even remotely looks used or worn out and they are usually close to 1/3 cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#2]
IMO, the best platform for the .40 cal round.  It was specifically designed for the .40, going from the folded carbon steel slides of the P226 (originally) and P228 to the milled stainless slide.  If you purchase it in .40 or .357, you can use an aftermarket barrel to shoot 9 as well.

As it it metal framed, your options for grips are almost countless.  Thicker, thinner, wood, aluminum, rubber, whatever.  You will find grips that make the pistol just feel right in your hand.

The trigger options are varied as well.  DAO, DAK, DA/SA.  Then you can add the short reset trigger on the DA/SA (IMO, a must-have).  Any of them can have a short reach trigger if your hands are smaller.  If you really want, you can hunt down a serrated trigger.

Holsters are easy to find, sights can be changed to suit your preferences.  Even though it's a metal framed, double stack pistol, with a proper belt and holster it's no problem to carry all day.

Parts and magazines are generally in easy supply.  Note:  use only Mec-Gar mags.  

I think you just missed some nice used/CPOs from PSA at a good price.  If you're patient, you'll find a good deal.

Here's my AD ('94) after a 3-gun:

Ultimately though, pistols are very personal.  Find one to shoot and see if it suits you.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

ARE there other handguns in it's class?

Just kidding, but it is an excellent handgun.  My first pistol was a p229, $799 in Sept 1994.  Still my favorite pistol.  I like the ergonomics and controls of the Sigs.  Extremely reliable.  Only time I ever had any problems was using ProMags .  very well made, very accurate, durable etc. etc.  A few years ago I had Sig give it the once over/refurbrish (replace springs etc) and had them do the short rest trigger and trigger enhancement.  Didn't notice a huge difference, but I'm not super picky and I had always been happy with the way it shot.  I like the DA/SA with decocker (I think you have more options now a days, if that isn't your thing)

I like the .40.  Considered gettting a 9mm barrel, but I shot my .40 p229 and 9mm p226 back-to-back-to-back and felt my time back on target was similar and I shot the p229 a little better.

I think you'll be very happy if you get one.  I'm sure you can pay less and get a very good gun.  Hard to quantify "worth", but Sigs are very nice, good guns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my Sigs (EDC is a P220).

I have a P229 chambered in .40 cal, but I seldom carry it as I prefer 9mm and .45 ACP.

Nonetheless, you can't go wrong with Sig.

As an added bonus their CS is great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If you decide you want one check out Summit Gunbroker for  great prices new and used and if you are going 9mm do yourself a favor and find a 228.

You wont regret it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I know a 229 in .40 will stop a 6'3'' 300# yute running at you real well
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Look here:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html?brand=363&caliber=63&cat=20&limit=40

CDNN has some nice pre-owned P229s in .40 for $499.99 to $599.99.  Some with a rail, some without.

I just bought a couple of their P226Rs in 9mm and they were in great shape.

I have bought other pre-owned Sigs from CDNN in the past and have never gotten a bad one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. I ordered one from Buds. They had a Tac Pac for $699.00 which included a P229R with Sig Night sights as well as a light/laser. Seems like a great price compared to Gander Mountain or Cabelas!

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IMO, the best platform for the .40 cal round.  It was specifically designed for the .40, going from the folded carbon steel slides of the P226 (originally) and P228 to the milled stainless slide.  If you purchase it in .40 or .357, you can use an aftermarket barrel to shoot 9 as well.

As it it metal framed, your options for grips are almost countless.  Thicker, thinner, wood, aluminum, rubber, whatever.  You will find grips that make the pistol just feel right in your hand.

The trigger options are varied as well.  DAO, DAK, DA/SA.  Then you can add the short reset trigger on the DA/SA (IMO, a must-have).  Any of them can have a short reach trigger if your hands are smaller.  If you really want, you can hunt down a serrated trigger.

Holsters are easy to find, sights can be changed to suit your preferences.  Even though it's a metal framed, double stack pistol, with a proper belt and holster it's no problem to carry all day.

Parts and magazines are generally in easy supply.  Note:  use only Mec-Gar mags.  

I think you just missed some nice used/CPOs from PSA at a good price.  If you're patient, you'll find a good deal.

Here's my AD ('94) after a 3-gun:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y-aApaGA8es/T5xuru2WB1I/AAAAAAAADgM/N2lfvm0sGIM/s800/DSC04909.JPG

Ultimately though, pistols are very personal.  Find one to shoot and see if it suits you.
View Quote

This, the 229 is without a doubt one of the finest handguns around, period.  I was at the range today with mine, have not shot it in a while, and I left with a big grin....may be a little more than others, but you will not regret it one bit.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#10]
To convert a .40 P229 to 9mm, what does one need besides the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

A 9mm magazine and a barrel from Bar Sto that is made to covert a 40 to 9 for your make of gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A 9mm magazine and a barrel from Bar Sto that is made to covert a 40 to 9 for your make of gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got the mags but a Sig 9mm barrel won't work?

How about a complete 229 9mm slide?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top