Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2014 11:02:16 PM EDT
Anyone have one..?

Shooting impressions..?
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a 220 a lot better gun, the 227 recoil is snappy, to me it feels bottom heavy.  I am a sig fan and own over 10 sigs, in my honest opinion HUGE FAIL
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd get one if I could change the grips.   they messed up when they didn't put grip screw holes in the frame.   I haven't seen bushings for them yet.   I HATE the E2 grips  my hands are too big.   I also hate the fact that the 227s come with a thin trigger in stead of the standard.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Geez.  I have two more on the way and the one I already have runs like a top.  I love my two P220s but to say they are a better than the P227 is laughable.

How can the recoil be snappier when they shoot the same round?  They are slightly heavier and I found that to reduce felt recoil.

Yeah, they might be bottom heavy because they carry more rounds.

Fits my hand very much  like my P226s of which I have 4.

I also have 2 P228s and a P6.

Massive fail indeed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:39:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm having this 220 versus 227 conversation myself right now.
My LGS has a P220 Stainless and a Full size 227 Nitron.
That Stainless is nice looking.
But I like the additional capacity of the 227.
Decisions, decisions
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Decisions, decisions
View Quote

Get both.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Had a P220 I carried for years but traded it off....

I kicked around getting another but I still think I'l get the 227
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd get one if I could change the grips.   they messed up when they didn't put grip screw holes in the frame.   I haven't seen bushings for them yet.   I HATE the E2 grips  my hands are too big.   I also hate the fact that the 227s come with a thin trigger in stead of the standard.
View Quote

Why do you dislike the short trigger?  I liked it enough to order one for my 226, I like the added clearance between the trigger guard and the trigger.  

I also added the SRT to both my 226 and the 227.

I like my 227 - I've not had much chance to shoot it, but I seem to have no problems handling it and I'm on the opposite end of the scale from expert.

I have a Gcode holster for my 226, the 227 fits ever so slightly different in the holster.  In real cold weather it won't release from the holster no matter how loose you set the tension screw.  I was able to figure out where the 227 was binding and sand/scrape at it a bit and it's better, but not perfect.  I'll probably have to get it it's own holster at some point.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why do you dislike the short trigger?  I liked it enough to order one for my 226, I like the added clearance between the trigger guard and the trigger.  

I like my 227 - I've not had much chance to shoot it, but I seem to have no problems handling it and I'm on the opposite end of the scale from expert.

I have a Gcode holster for my 226, the 227 fits ever so slightly different in the holster.  In real cold weather it won't release from the holster no matter how loose you set the tension screw.  I was able to figure out where the 227 was binding and sand/scrape at it a bit and it's better, but not perfect.  I'll probably have to get it it's own holster at some point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its too thin  and shortens the reach from the backstrap to the front of the trigger so my finger goes past the first joint on the trigger, unlike with my 229's and 226's.      I think if I could put grips other than the E2 grips on it it would be okay.    I prefere the hogue wrap around finger groove.   I also love the Short Reset Trigger, rides in all my SIGs.     The E2 grips reduce too much circumference from the top of the back strap to front of trigger.    And it creates too much bump at the bottom.    I also don't like the DA trigger pull with the E2  strut and main spring   It feels stiffer  but I think its just I like my old SIGs that have lots of rounds through them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked up one to play with and have about 600 rounds thru it.  I did have some FTFs with it at first, due to a problematic magazine which Sig promptly replaced.  No issues now.  I have seen some reports on the web of sear pins breaking, but it does not appear to be widespread.

As far as shooting, I suck with it.  However I am a predominate 1911 shooter so DA/SA is not easy for me, and my thumbs sometimes ride the slide lock lever.  Overall I like it and just need more quality time with it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked one up the beginning of the year and quite like it.  I do however echo some of the observations that have already been made about the trigger.   Not that the slim trigger profile is really an issue for me, it's just that I've a preference for the thicker trigger.  I'll be sending it and a .40 P226 I bought the same time (with that same thin trigger), off to get the SRT as I've got in my X5...  then I expect all will be bliss.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I am anxious to see how my 227 holds up,only  about 400rounds,but I like it alot
I have over 8000 down the pipe of my Tyson corner 220
and it still shoots great,I'd say buy both and enjoy
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been reading about Gray Guns work on Sigs.

Anyone have the short reset trigger they do..?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Get both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decisions, decisions

Get both.

That maybe the only choice. :)
Have to say, the stainless 220 is the ONLY stainless gun Ive ever seen that I really like.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#14]
They need to produce a SAO version that's not a custom shop gun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Have to say, the stainless 220 is the ONLY stainless gun Ive ever seen that I really like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Decisions, decisions

Get both.

I have 2 P220s and have picked up 2 brand new P227s in the last 3 weeks with a used one maybe in the picture.

I guess I have caught Sigaholism but, thank God, it's not as bad as Glockaholism where you troll every thread.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

He posted some 10mm P220s on here once.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 EDT
[#17]
is the reliability loss of going from a single to a double stack mag really worth the two extra rounds?

I suppose if I didn't already have a P220 and a bunch of mags, I would be more open to the P227...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
is the reliability loss of going from a single to a double stack mag really worth the two extra rounds?

I suppose if I didn't already have a P220 and a bunch of mags, I would be more open to the P227...
View Quote

What "reliability loss"?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:02:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What "reliability loss"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What "reliability loss"?

anytime you go from single stack to double stack, you are complicating things.  Especially when its probably done by American Sig engineers in the last 3 years vs. German engineers 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

anytime you go from single stack to double stack, you are complicating things.  Especially when its probably done by American Sig engineers in the last 3 years vs. German engineers 30 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What "reliability loss"?

So, you haven't really seen or heard of it, but it just has to be, right?

I have 2 P227s.  So far, so good.  And I do have a couple of P220s as well.

HK, Glock, FN, and others seem to be doing just fine with double stack .45s.  I guess Sig couldn't figure it out, huh.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What "reliability loss"?

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#22]
When I think of the top 4 or 5 handguns that have proven their reliability in test after test..... They ALL feed from a double stack magazine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Went and shot my new 227 last night.  200 rounds and no hiccups.  It is a really nice piece.  Like it better than my G21 I had.
I don't shoot as good with the 227 as my 1911 though.  Practice makes perfect right?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

HK, Glock, FN, and others seem to be doing just fine with double stack .45s.  I guess Sig couldn't figure it out, huh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What "reliability loss"?

yeah, FN masters of the double stack .45 magazine, they never had issues.  go see FNP, they couldn't even figure out the damn length of common .45 ball ammo.  Given 95% of semi automatic issues are due to magazine, less complexity here will reduce issues.   Esp. when mags are old and possibly fouled...

Now I agree, it might not be much of a factor, but neither are two extra rounds...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

yeah, FN masters of the double stack .45 magazine, they never had issues.  go see FNP, they couldn't even figure out the damn length of common .45 ball ammo.  Given 95% of semi automatic issues are due to magazine, less complexity here will reduce issues.   Esp. when mags are old and possibly fouled...

Now I agree, it might not be much of a factor, but neither are two extra rounds...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What "reliability loss"?

Tell ya what..........until you actually have experience with a P227 being unreliable, how about letting those of us who actually have them be the judges of how reliable they are.

What do "old and possibly fouled" mags have to do with the P227?

As for these issues that FN is having, do you have a link?
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What "reliability loss"?

That's just... Dumb.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 12:09:29 AM EDT
[#27]
In my mind it wouldn't even be close - get the P227. The P220s were never that thin to begin with because of the choice of interchangeable grips so for me a 10RD variant that is P226 size and has the option for 14RD mags - it's a no brainer
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:24:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Got the P227 and it's a great shooter.

I'm a Glock guy but the traditional DA/SA trigger on the Sig is easy to use at speed.

Gonna throw some Trijicon HD sights on it and pick up some addition 10 and 14 rounders.

Very pleased.... 100% reliable ( only ran about 150 through it so far mostly FMJ with a couple mags Fed 230gr +P Tactical) and extremely accurate.

Sig got this one right.....!
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Let's see...

I've OWNED and shot
G21's
P220's

guess what? I have a P227 now & havent looked back since.  

NO reliability issues with several different ammo variants.

Recoil is very manageable. (Even my wife says so )

I like mine & would suggest it to anyone.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Had a P220 I carried for years but traded it off....

I kicked around getting another but I still think I'l get the 227
View Quote

If it matters...I handled the P227 Tactical with Threaded barrel, suppressor sights and 14 round mag the other day at an LGS and it was less bulky in hand than the P226 Tactical in 9mm.

I say FO.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a P220 from Gray Guns His work is excellent.  It has the Hard Hat finish and HD sights with their Action Cleanup Perfection job on it.  Very smooth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What "reliability loss"?

Just so you know, the engineer who designed the P227 is an incredibly talented individual. It's easy to take pot-shots at Sig as a whole, but the fact is they've been pulling engineers from all over the industry in the last 3-4 years and you can't place the faults of 04-06 Sig on the '11-'14 engineering staff. The testing staff that works at Sig currently is very passionate about only putting out guns that work as their brothers in arms will be using them to defend their lives.

The P227 was one of the most painless projects taken on by Sig in some time and it's a very reliable gun. The 14 rd mags were a problem which is why they took so long to come out.

The fact is you have NO idea what you're talking about, and it would behoove you to not whip out the laptop and type out crap that shows how little you know about the subject.

ETA: One cool thing about the P227 is that it takes P220 uppers. If anyone wants to turn their P227 into a "P227 Match" I might just know how to make that happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top