Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2014 8:36:35 PM EDT
Is it the best sub compact 380 out there.

Or is it the best sub compact pistol period.

Just came here to humble brag. Go it for 430 on GB and have put 50 rounds through it.

Impressed with the accuracy at 9 yards, the fit, the finish, and that it feels like a high dollar 1911.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Just so happens I had mine to the range a few days ago. Pretty much the same results. I think is it a fantastic small easily concealable gun. You are not going to do 2" groups at 25 yards but for 10 yards or less, it is very accurate. Probably more than me. I did not like the serrated trigger. Replaced it with a smooth edge metal trigger. SIG really should have done that in the first place. Did the same trigger replacement on my P938. Had that out yesterday with the same results, maybe even slightly better. Both are great guns and they are apparently the two top selling guns at SIG right now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Accurate, yes.  Aside from that, I did not like it.  I'll take a PPK/s any day over that particular Sig.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I am thinking about one myself.  The triggers on all that I've played with feel to be in the 8 to 12 lb range.  What's the deal with that on a gun with a safety?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one a couple of month's and love it. I am a Glock guy, I own 8, but I didn't like the G42 when I tried one. Now the P238 was a whole different story, so I bought 1.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Love how accurate mine is. Took some work and I replaced the wood grips with Hogue wrap around. Made a big difference. Great carry piece.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I pulled my P938 out when shooting plates with my AR at 100 yards.  Hit a 7.5" x 10.5" torso plate 2 out of 6 rounds off-hand with 147gr HST, everything else was near misses.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Shooting Blazer FMJ at 20-25 feet I regularly get grape fruit sized groups with my 238 (aimed rapid fire), I honestly havent tryed shooting it at longer ranges. Out of the few Kel-Tecs, and an S&W BG380 I have owned the 238 is far and away more accurate. As far as observation (could have been the operator) the 238 is more accurate than the LCP and the Khar 380 from what I have seen. I have about 1800 rounds through mine and the only issues I had was when I was shooting in the snow outside after 200 rounds of PMC, there was powder residue that had turned into mud due to the water all over the pistol and was giving me failure to extract and stove pipes. I loaded up some Blazer (heaver bullet at higher velocity) and continued to shoot another 50 rounds with zero issues. I seriously love this little gun, and it is made even better by the fact it was a wedding present from my wife
Also to add: with the big ammo manufacturers investing in better 380 loads for defense it makes this little guy even better. I honestly dont own any other pistols. I know I am limited by the caliber, but lets face it I wont be getting into any firefights so this is the last pistol I think I will own...
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
How's the trigger pull?  My wife wants one of these and wants something that will match the trigger on my Springfield 1911
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:25:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shooting Blazer FMJ at 20-25 feet I regularly get grape fruit sized groups with my 238 (aimed rapid fire), I honestly havent tryed shooting it at longer ranges. Out of the few Kel-Tecs, and an S&W BG380 I have owned the 238 is far and away more accurate. As far as observation (could have been the operator) the 238 is more accurate than the LCP and the Khar 380 from what I have seen. I have about 1800 rounds through mine and the only issues I had was when I was shooting in the snow outside after 200 rounds of PMC, there was powder residue that had turned into mud due to the water all over the pistol and was giving me failure to extract and stove pipes. I loaded up some Blazer (heaver bullet at higher velocity) and continued to shoot another 50 rounds with zero issues. I seriously love this little gun, and it is made even better by the fact it was a wedding present from my wife

Also to add: with the big ammo manufacturers investing in better 380 loads for defense it makes this little guy even better. I honestly dont own any other pistols. I know I am limited by the caliber, but lets face it I wont be getting into any firefights so this is the last pistol I think I will own...
View Quote
"Big ammo's" "better" .380 loads translates to newer service caliber bullet designs shortened to .380 size.  The result is underpenetration due to large expansion or failure to expand due to low velocity.  XTP loads are the only ones that strike a good balance of penetration and very reliable but necessarily minimal expansion.  Hornady has resumed production of the sweet-spot Custom XTP .380 load, btw.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The federal Hydra shocks has similar performance to the Hornady XTP, with .2" more penetration and .005 square inches more expansion, and the Speer GD is not far behind at all. Honestly not much difference, but the XTP is not the only name in the game for 380.
Source, Brassfetcher.com.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The federal Hydra shocks has similar performance to the Hornady XTP, with .2" more penetration and .005 square inches more expansion, and the Speer GD is not far behind at all. Honestly not much difference, but the XTP is not the only name in the game for 380.

Source, Brassfetcher.com.
View Quote

While the HS certainly isn't the worst (aside from major issues with denim) and the GD better than the remainder of modern designs, I recall both performing notably worse than the XTP loads in what I consider the most professionally performed tests to date which are those by Shootingthebull410 on Youtube.  Also, the XTP sample size was especially impressive with pretty consistent results when you consider the multiple loadings he tried.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]
The wife's 238 especially really loves XTP's with regards to accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top