Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 9:26:22 AM EDT
Good condition, 1 10rd mag, Crimson trace grips (that I'll replace) and dim night sights. Date coded to 98.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of finish is on the slide? A P228 has a carbon-steel slide so that can't be stainless in the picture. In the current condition with the CT laser grips I'd say $600-$700. The P228 has pretty much become a collector's gun so some buyers may be wanting one as original as possible.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Good question, I just assumed it was stainless. It's the same finish inside and out and the serial number on the slide matches the frame.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll call sig on Monday and see what they say.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]
if it is a two tone from SIG it will be Electroless Nickel...it appears from those pics that yours was not done by Klein Plating but a company SIG used in Texas (IIRC but that is only based on how your pics look on my monitor)...unless you can prove it is originally done this way, only what someone wants to pay...many like the 2-Tone versions...

Bill
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#5]
It may also be Robar NP3.  I had a 220 with the hard chrome.  They did amazing work back before they stepped on their dicks with golf shoes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

if it is a two tone from SIG it will be Electroless Nickel...it appears from those pics that yours was not done by Klein Plating but a company SIG used in Texas (IIRC but that is only based on how your pics look on my monitor)...unless you can prove it is originally done this way, only what someone wants to pay...many like the 2-Tone versions...

Bill
View Quote

The controls look nickel but the slide has a different look to it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Just called sig, the slide finish is original but the nickel controls aren't. Kyle from sig said that they didn't start nickel controls until the 2000s and this gun dates to early 1998, interesting stuff.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]
1 10 rd mag and grips that you will replace plus some refinishing that we know was done?

If I was in the market for a 228, $500 if condition is real nice like you say.

I don't know the market as well as some here do though.

Little aside:

When I was a kid looking for my first car my dad came with me and we looked at some cars.

My dad would ask lots of questions but I always saw the look on his face when the seller told him that he had "done some work on the engine"

As soon as I know that the car/pistol/whatever ain't original, but has had "some work done on it", I immediately have to wonder what else inside has been worked on that I can't see.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

1 10 rd mag and grips that you will replace plus some refinishing that we know was done?

Little aside:

When I was a kid looking for my first car my dad came with me and we looked at some cars.

My dad would ask lots of questions but I always saw the look on his face when the seller told him that he had "done some work on the engine"

As soon as I know that the car/pistol/whatever ain't original, but has had "some work done on it", I immediately have to wonder what else inside has been worked on that I can't see.

View Quote
The slide is a factory finish per Sig but someone did swap out the controls which isn't that hard to do except for the mag catch.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
True, and that is just me.

Someone was under the hood beyond a field strip.

Just something to be suspicious of.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The slide is a factory finish per Sig but someone did swap out the controls which isn't that hard to do except for the mag catch.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Little aside:

Mag catch isnt hard to replace. Just need to be careful you dont launch the detent & spring into another dimension. They're small and once they're gone...good luck finding them. You also need to make sure you dont install the detent upside down...Its a cast iron bitch to get out when you do.

ETA - looking at the mag release button in the above picture, it appears that is not nickel colored.. But rather normal user wear & tear... I think thumbs have worn off the bluing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bill
View Quote

This is probably it, and given the condition I would say 6-650
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:16:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just called sig, the slide finish is original but the nickel controls aren't. Kyle from sig said that they didn't start nickel controls until the 2000s and this gun dates to early 1998, interesting stuff.

View Quote

Kyle's response is strange since I have a 1999 P226 with nickel controls from SIG (albeit with a Stainless slide)...I wouldn't take what they say as Gospel...

not the best pic but you get the idea...

Bill
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting, is your serial number also on the slide?

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I hear 228's are the most desirable of all the German Sigs and prices are going through the roof. If it's original I would think it's quite valuable. I have seen used beat up black ones going  for 700 to 900. Don't even hardly see them on gunbroker now,
JR
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:15:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Ghetto...nope...only the frame which would seem to make it either a US build or US made...

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top