Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:16:25 AM EDT
Hey guys, im a big 1911 guy, I have owned most of the brands out there, and have dwindled them down to only Les Baers, Wilsons, and Ed Browns.  I just sold my last production 1911, a Kimber TLE, and with the cash I got from that sale I would like to give Sig a try.  Always liked the way they looked, just always bought something else.  I recently handled a P227 and LOVED it, it felt great.  I also handled a P224, and though I tried to like it, because it was what I had in mind of buying, I just didn't like my pinky not being on the grip at all.  I carry a 1911 most of the time and if my dress does not allow for a 1911 I use a SW 642, G30, USP 45 Compact, or Kahr CM9.  

What is a good first sig to own?? I've been looking at the P226 and like that you can get 20rd mags for it.  Only thing keeping me from getting the P227 is if I get 45acp I will want to shoot one of my 1911's and know the Sig probably wont get used.  So im leaning towards something in 9mm so its cheap to train with.  Sig just has so many different makes and models, I wanted to see what some of the sigs guys would suggest to a 1911 fan boy :)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with a 226 I would recommend a used West german 226 or one of the new production basic models to get your feet wet. Both can generally be found for a good deal. Use the Mec-gar mags.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I've check top gun supply, rainer arms, and cheaper than dirt.  Anywhere else that sells used sigs?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Try Gunbroker. They have some great deals and I can testify to that. The other day they had a P226 Elite for only $740.00 NIB plus shipping. Other models can be had cheaper. E2 models are really priced low and can be had for around $600.00 nib. I love my 229 E2 and the newer grip Sig introduced a couple years prior.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you're already into 1911's.....and considering a p226......I would give some thought to the

p226 Elite SAO,  - or - if you've got the coin, consider the p226 X-Five SAO, or it's bigger brother the p226 X-Six SAO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've check top gun supply, rainer arms, and cheaper than dirt.  Anywhere else that sells used sigs?
View Quote

Here is a page full of used Sigs at cdnnsports.com

http://www.cdnnsports.com/firearms.html?brand=363&cat=20&limit=60

This one will be arriving at my dealer tomorrow:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/226r-9-vg-sa-da-ns-w-rail.html#.U88EiEAXET8

If the OP wants a .45 ACP, can't go wrong with a P220, pre-owned (I have one) or new and I love my new double-stack P227:

url=http://s59.photobucket.com/user/rx7turbo929/media/waycross/P227004_zps766915f7.jpg.html][/url]

[

And yeah, the P220 threaded barrel works quite nicely.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a serious 1911 shooter, too, and have to say I love the P220 with slim grips.  It's not the same feel as a 1911, but it's a very good feel in the hand--much better (IMO) than double-stack autos.
Plus (assuming your 1911s are .45s) you don't have to stock a new caliber of ammo!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't go wrong with a P226. I have it in .40 and just ordered the barrel to change to .357SIG when I want. The 9mm are legendary. It is actually cheaper to buy a P226 in .22LR and then buy the conversion kit for 9mm, than doing the same thing in reverse, buying the 9mm first. Being able to shoot .22LR when you can get it is a whole lot cheaper than shooting higher calibers and you still have the same feel of the gun in your hands. Options are good!

I also go back and forth between a P220 and a 1911 STX when I feel like shooting something with a little more kick. It's almost like shooting the same gun with respect to accuracy. Sights and size are just a little different as is the trigger pull. The P220 is the classic SIG trigger while the 1911 is of course the classic 1911 pull. Either is great.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorite is the 228, which is a slightly more compact 9mm only version of the 226. It's so nicely balanced and accurate at long range that I see no advantage in the 226 (I have one of each).

The 228 has been replaced by the 229 (and the M11), but the old ones are available on gunbroker. I got an essentially unfired German 228 CPO a year ago from Bud's for $550. A total steal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey guys, im a big 1911 guy, I have owned most of the brands out there, and have dwindled them down to only Les Baers, Wilsons, and Ed Browns.  I just sold my last production 1911, a Kimber TLE, and with the cash I got from that sale I would like to give Sig a try.  Always liked the way they looked, just always bought something else.  I recently handled a P227 and LOVED it, it felt great.  I also handled a P224, and though I tried to like it, because it was what I had in mind of buying, I just didn't like my pinky not being on the grip at all.  I carry a 1911 most of the time and if my dress does not allow for a 1911 I use a SW 642, G30, USP 45 Compact, or Kahr CM9.  

What is a good first sig to own?? I've been looking at the P226 and like that you can get 20rd mags for it.  Only thing keeping me from getting the P227 is if I get 45acp I will want to shoot one of my 1911's and know the Sig probably wont get used.  So im leaning towards something in 9mm so its cheap to train with.  Sig just has so many different makes and models, I wanted to see what some of the sigs guys would suggest to a 1911 fan boy :)
View Quote

If you have just sold all your regular production 1911s, you should get the top of the SIG Sauer line. Either an X-5, X-6 or the SIG P210 Legend.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you have just sold all your regular production 1911s, you should get the top of the SIG Sauer line. Either an X-5, X-6 or the SIG P210 Legend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sold my production 1911's over a couple years, they helped fund the brown and baer.  I really like the look of the high end sig's and I might get one in the future but I think I wanna start basic.

I ended up getting a P226R w/ night sights, love it so far, cleaned and lubed it last night w/ Wilson's Grease and Universal oil.  Cannot wait to shoot it, hopefully with weekend, if I make it out to the range i'll update this thread with some nice pics.

Thanks guys for the input!  I have a feeling i'll be adding some more sigs in the future
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I sold my production 1911's over a couple years, they helped fund the brown and baer.  I really like the look of the high end sig's and I might get one in the future but I think I wanna start basic.

I ended up getting a P226R w/ night sights, love it so far, cleaned and lubed it last night w/ Wilson's Grease and Universal oil.  Cannot wait to shoot it, hopefully with weekend, if I make it out to the range i'll update this thread with some nice pics.

Thanks guys for the input!  I have a feeling i'll be adding some more sigs in the future
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get the CDNN one?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no just a normal one from a LGS.  got it for $749
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#14]
p226, p229, p938, 1911, etc
I have used both and it honestly depends on "what you want"
i have multiple sig sauer handguns and here is my .02 from my experience

p226 long quite simply a bit to big for me on daily carry
balance weight and good for follow up shots 1913 rail helps too
mag cap is 20 rds mec-gar 9mm
9mm, .40, .357

p229 great for daily carry
shorter length, still easy to manipulate on follow up shots and has 1913 rail
mag cap 17rds that i have found 9mm
9mm, .40, .357

Some models dont come with a 1913 rail and being a 1911 guy myself i prefer the non-railed versions. currently I use a p229 as sidearm here in Afghanistan
if you get any model make sure the feed ramp is polished from the factory.
I normally send my personal guns out to get the DA/SA pull cleaned up either SIG custom shop or GRAYGUNs is a good place
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
p226, p229, p938, 1911, etc
I have used both and it honestly depends on "what you want"
i have multiple sig sauer handguns and here is my .02 from my experience

p226 long quite simply a bit to big for me on daily carry
balance weight and good for follow up shots 1913 rail helps too
mag cap is 20 rds mec-gar 9mm
9mm, .40, .357

p229 great for daily carry
shorter length, still easy to manipulate on follow up shots and has 1913 rail
mag cap 17rds that i have found 9mm
9mm, .40, .357

Some models dont come with a 1913 rail and being a 1911 guy myself i prefer the non-railed versions. currently I use a p229 as sidearm here in Afghanistan
if you get any model make sure the feed ramp is polished from the factory.
I normally send my personal guns out to get the DA/SA pull cleaned up either SIG custom shop or GRAYGUNs is a good place
View Quote

While I agree with your assessment overall, you lost me at the feed ramp polish....why so concerned that it's factory polished?  5 minutes with a q-tip and some FITZ solves that problem..  Certainly that's a maintenance issue that anyone can resolve?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Try a sig 1911 or a MK25

Next to my custom colt 1911 these are my two favorite pistols

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked up this SIG 1911 Carry Nightmare near the end of last year. Easy to carry and a sweet shooter.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Based on your requirements, 9mm Sig, I say get a P226.

They are awesome pistols and can take the 20 round magazines, gotta love that!

You will probably want to get the Short Reset Trigger (SRT) so that it's reset is more like the 1911s you like so much.

Sounds like your CCW needs are well taken care of.

P226, final answer!

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Check out the M11-A1.  Previously known as the P228.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Check out the M11-A1.  Previously known as the P228.
View Quote

Actually.............no.

The handguards say P228.

The slide says M11 A1.  It is in fact neither.

It is not a P228 but is rather a P229.

It is not the military issued M11.

It's a nice gun, a great gun, but it's neither of those two things.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#21]
MK25 all the way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Basic 226 is damn hard to beat and if you can give the 227 a whack before you buy you might like it over the 1911.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You can't go wrong with a 226 I would recommend a used West german 226 or one of the new production basic models to get your feet wet. Both can generally be found for a good deal. Use the Mec-gar mags.
View Quote

Agree 100%^^^^^^

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top