Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2014 11:38:46 AM EDT
I'd like to see a few more 290RS reviews from this year.  Ive only found one thorough review from 2014 and I was wondering if anyone who has bought one recently would be willing to share.  

I had a 938 but I sold it after a few issues which I didn't like and now my deep carry weapon is a Shield 9 but honestly I dont care much for the shield either. I hate Kahr guns and am running out of things to try in the 'very concealable' department.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one. Finally got to shoot it. Only shot 50 rounds of 147gr JHP first time out. All were shot after drawing from holster with a little bit of a time limit.  It took a couple of rounds to get use to the trigger but it was not bad. I liked the sights. Very easy to draw and find the sights. No control or recoil issues. Not a single hiccup. Over all was pleased with results. I am sure I would like the results better with more rounds.

So far I like the gun. I find it easier to conceal in a pocket while wearing shorts. It is a little heavier then I would like for the size. Its also a little bit bigger then I would like. But did I mention the nice sights on it?

I like it better then my G26 and have not carried the G26 since buying the P290.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I find the trigger pull a little long. I did not even notice if its heavy or not. I have been shooting DA/SA SIGs for a while now. I have no complaints about the DA trigger pull.

I have no real complaints on the P290 trigger.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I would like to hear more about this model as well.  It's with the smallest 9mm out there but one of the heavyest.  I've looked at the Khar, s&w, lcp and all these smaller guns seem to have a long heavy trigger.  I have to wonder in the heat of the moment would you notice it.  I'm pulling it...a few times.  Range time is probably the answer.  The colt mustang and sig 380 have really nice triggers but 1.75 times the price.  I am shooting a G42 tomorrow and will probably like it but it's big and 380.  If I go 380 I'd probably go with the lcp.  It about as small as you can get which I think I really want...but its 380.

now spinning:  Pearl Jam - VS
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you read the part where I said the P290 has full size sights. Of all the guns you listed, which of the 9mms have full size sights? I really looked at the Kahr before buying the P290. The Kahr is a little smaller and a little lighter. But I did not care for the sights, at least on the ones I looked at. I also read the Kahr was a little snappy when shooting. After the first couple shots with the P290 I got use to the trigger. I did not notice it being anymore snappy then my G26.  

I also own a SIG P938. I do not carry this however because I do not like carrying guns with a manual safety. I wished they made a double action P938 w/out a safety. I like the size and weight of the P938 over the P290.

Just my opinions.

And I looked at small 9mms made by S&W, Ruger, Kahr, Keltec, and a few others. I also thought about going to a 380 but I just could not bring myself to carry a 380.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#12]
check out some youtube videos on takedown...will make it much easier...

Bill
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one.  It's my primary carry piece.  Fits in the pocket well.  Mine came with the laser.  I have it mounted because it doesn't add any noticeable weight and doesn't effect handling..  I liked the stock trigger just fine.  It's a tad on the heavy side, but very good for a DAO.   Night sights are great.  The extended grip gives you a nice 3 finger hold.  But I carry with the 6 round mag and settle for a 2 finger grip.  Recoil is manageable but I don't shoot +P.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I had totally forgotten about this thread.  Im glad to see a few current reviews for the 290RS now.  Ill keep my eyes open in case I see one in the future.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one and at first was not happy. Nothing wrong with the pistol but my last weapon that size was the Kahr PM9. The trigger on the Kahr was much better and the Kahr was also a few oz's lighter. The Kahr also cost several hundred more than the Sig, and if you go all black with NS its even further away from the 290rs. Now that I have had it for awhile and had the Gallaway trigger installed its much better. Total cost for trigger springs and steel guide rod right at $100.00. Was it worth it I say yes. It moved me away from scrapping the pistol and going back for the Kahr. The 290rs has had no failures in the 300 plus rounds I have fired through it. It is also an accurate weapon seems just as good as the Kahr. I like that the grip is ruff makes a difference when your hand is wet it's much easier to maintain a grip. So in short now that the trigger has been smoothed out I am going to keep it and save the money that the Kahr would have cost. The take down is the only issue but once you've done it a few times it gets easier to do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one and at first was not happy. Nothing wrong with the pistol but my last weapon that size was the Kahr PM9. The trigger on the Kahr was much better and the Kahr was also a few oz's lighter. The Kahr also cost several hundred more than the Sig, and if you go all black with NS its even further away from the 290rs. Now that I have had it for awhile and had the Gallaway trigger installed its much better. Total cost for trigger springs and steel guide rod right at $100.00. Was it worth it I say yes. It moved me away from scrapping the pistol and going back for the Kahr. The 290rs has had no failures in the 300 plus rounds I have fired through it. It is also an accurate weapon seems just as good as the Kahr. I like that the grip is ruff makes a difference when your hand is wet it's much easier to maintain a grip. So in short now that the trigger has been smoothed out I am going to keep it and save the money that the Kahr would have cost. The take down is the only issue but once you've done it a few times it gets easier to do.
View Quote

How much of an improvement did the Gallaway Parts make on your P290RS? Did it just smooth things out or did it also affect the weight/trigger pull? Why did you also change out the guide rod? My P290 has been dead reliable and the trigger is ok but there is some room for improvement.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#20]
The old trigger almost felt gritty on the pull. Now it is smooth all the way through, also the reset is a tad shorter and although I have no meter the trigger really seems lighter. The difference was dramatic enough to get me to stop looking at getting another Kahr PM9 and selling this one off. I bought all the parts available for the 290 from Gallaway and glad I did. I feel my accuracy picked up some because of the improvements with the trigger. Every other weapon I have has steel guide rod and since I was already paying for the other parts with the shipping I decided to change it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info. I am going to keep shooting my P290 to see if the trigger smooth out. If not, I will consider trying out the Gallaway Parts.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top