Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2014 10:03:24 PM EDT
Would you buy one again?

I understand that many think that a .380 is too small, but it is better than nothing if that is the alternative.  I have a G27 that is my primary CCW, but there are many situations in which something even smaller and lighter weight would work better for me.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:16:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for something super small, this isn't, but it is a great piece of equipment. Mine is very accurate, feeds everything I've ever put in it, and feels like it would last a thousand years. I am very happy with mine. It is definitely in the "keep this one forever" pile. I definitely prefer it to the PPK that I got rid of. Was not happy at all with the trigger on the PPK compared to the Sig.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Would definitely buy it again. Accurate, reliable and aesthetically pleasing. I also shoot a P220 and a P226, so I'm accustomed to and like the DA/SA trigger.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Buying a P232 for concealability is like buying a Lotus because you want a small car that is easy to park.

The thing is a work of art, period.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I sold mine on the sole reasoning of consolidating my ammo. If I wanted a 380 again I'd pick up another p232
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not really a SIG fan but would keep my 232.  Accurate and dependable and very light to carry, and I like the generous "big gun" night sights that can actually be used effectively.  The Nills grips are expensive, but much better than the stock grips and feel great in the hand.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buying a P232 for concealability is like buying a Lotus because you want a small car that is easy to park.

The thing is a work of art, period.
View Quote

Understood....and no doubt, the price removes any doubt that you aren't just buying size.  

I have wanted a P230/232 since I bought my West German P228 20 years ago.  A LEO friend recently offered me a used blued 230 with 4 mags for $400 and I turned him down...and now really regret it.  Since then I have been hunting everywhere for a new stainless 232 and am having a hard time finding one.  There is a local gun show next week and am hoping for better luck...so I wanted to just verify people love it as much as I have heard, because I think that I am likely to end up dropping around $700 to add it to the collection.

Thanks to all for the input.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had two of the older P230's and liked both of them.  One was an alloy frame model that I should have kept.  Fantastic shooter although it had some cosmetic issues.  The other was a stainless that wasn't quite as nice.  For whatever reason that one would give me a slide cut (the blued/alloy model never did) and the sights were stainless and harder to see.  It did shoot well until the pain from the slide cutting me got too annoying.  They are made like a swiss watch - a pleasure to handle and shoot for fun.

All that said, they are heavy and large by today's standards for a .380.  With you already carrying a G27, you should look at the G42 if .380 is an option for you.  It is much smaller and lighter than the Sig, and the manual of arms/trigger will be a fairly simple carry-over from the G27 once you get used to the different trigger reach.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to close the loop...

I bought a new blued P232 today.  I really wanted stainless, but they have been hard to find and are pricey when found.  I came across a NIB blued P232 (night sights, two mags) at a gun show today and the guy was willing to sell it for $560.  It wasn't on the table, so it was pristine.  I suppose the fact that it is 5 ounces lighter than the stainless is a nice concession to going with the blued.  It will be primarily a carry piece, so the weight savings will be nice.  That G42 is even lighter as are a number of other 380s, but I have been lusting after this girl for too long to settle for something else.

For anyone else looking, this guy did a great review of .380 self defense loads:

Final Results of the .380 ACP Ammo Quest

Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought a new blued P232 today.  I really wanted stainless, but they have been hard to find and are pricey when found.  I came across a NIB blued P232 (night sights, two mags) at a gun show today and the guy was willing to sell it for $560.  It wasn't on the table, so it was pristine.  I suppose the fact that it is 5 ounces lighter than the stainless is a nice concession to going with the blued.  It will be primarily a carry piece, so the weight savings will be nice.  That G42 is even lighter as are a number of other 380s, but I have been lusting after this girl for too long to settle for something else.

For anyone else looking, this guy did a great review of .380 self defense loads:

View Quote

Prepare to fall in love.  If you have not shot one before, you may be in awe at how naturally it points and how easy it is to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Prepare to fall in love.  If you have not shot one before, you may be in awe at how naturally it points and how easy it is to shoot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't wait to take it to the range.  I almost dropped by NRA HQ on the way home since I passed right by, but didn't have my range bag with me.  

Since I can't shoot it tonight, I am sitting here surfing for grips and a holster.  

Those Nills grips above are really nice. These are also pretty sharp (not my pic), but I can't find them anywhere:

Regarding holsters, I am wide open for any advice folks might have.  

I'm not a fan of IWB holsters.  I know a lot of folks swear by them, but I have never found them comfortable.  I use Galco paddle holsters for my P228 and G27 and really like them more than anything else I have tried.  They are easy to put on and take off, they stay put, and are super comfortable.  The downside is that they print with anything other than a jacket.  This Yaqui version supposedly fits a 230/232:

Galco Yaqui Paddle Holster

Anyone ever tried it?  I am wondering if the smaller frame will print as hard with an untucked shirt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The SIG P-232 is a truly outstanding pistol.

I prefer the older, all-German made ones though.  I do not like the vertical slide serrations on the Exeter-made slides.

I have one of each (all-German one and German/Exeter one).

I do, however, prefer the sights on the German/Exeter one.  That was an improvement.

Both of mine are stainless.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you are looking for something super small, this isn't, but it is a great piece of equipment. Mine is very accurate, feeds everything I've ever put in it, and feels like it would last a thousand years. I am very happy with mine. It is definitely in the "keep this one forever" pile. I definitely prefer it to the PPK that I got rid of. Was not happy at all with the trigger on the PPK compared to the Sig.
View Quote

I'm not prepared to say that Smith and Wesson "completely ruined" the PPK, because I do like the extended grip tang modification.

However, I will say that I am disappointed that they use such a cheap grade of steel for the frame.

Oh, and yes, the trigger on the S&W PPKs absolutely sucks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can't wait to take it to the range.  I almost dropped by NRA HQ on the way home since I passed right by, but didn't have my range bag with me.  

Since I can't shoot it tonight, I am sitting here surfing for grips and a holster.  

Those Nills grips above are really nice. These are also pretty sharp (not my pic), but I can't find them anywhere:

http://imgur.com/wXnch3E.jpg

I'm not a fan of IWB holsters.  I know a lot of folks swear by them, but I have never found them comfortable.  I use Galco paddle holsters for my P228 and G27 and really like them more than anything else I have tried.  They are easy to put on and take off, they stay put, and are super comfortable.  The downside is that they print with anything other than a jacket.  This Yaqui version supposedly fits a 230/232:

Anyone ever tried it?  I am wondering if the smaller frame will print as hard with an untucked shirt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imgur.com/wXnch3E.jpg

I have a larger Yaqui I use with the M9, its a great simple holster, but I wouldn't personally feel comfortable with it for CCW - it offers no retention to speak of.  The 232 is tricky to conceal well due to the shape of the grip.  I prefer a deep set IWB, so I can't help you here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I got out today and put a little over 200 rounds downrange:

• 100 rds PMC Bronze FMJ

• 50 rds Blazer Brass FMJ

• 50 rds Federal Hydra Shok

• 10 rds Remington Golden Saber

I mixed it up because I noticed issues with first round feed yesterday when I was loading it at home.

Range report - Short version:

• First round feed sucks.  Ride the slide at all and forget it.

• Subsequent rounds feed fine.

• Daytime visibility of sights is poor.

• SA trigger has a lot of travel, is a bit heavier than I would prefer, and kept screwing with me.

• I was unable to shoot it as accurately as my G27, but I would have no issue ruining an attacker's day with 7 center of mass shots.

Longer version:

Riding the slide forward to any degree when chambering the first round resulted in failure to feed...with the front of the bullet seemingly parked in the feed ramp.  It did this on all ammo types, including (surprisingly) both brands of FMJ....regardless of which mag I used.  I did a quick wipe down and relube before I hit the range, so I expected far better.  That said, if I let the slide fly, it fed everything, but I could feel it struggling to do so if that makes sense.  I could feel it in my hands.  I could just imagine how it was deforming some portion of the bullet...and saw small flakes of copper jacket inside to confirm it.

When firing, it fed fine with one exception...and I may have limp wristed that one.  Otherwise, the other follow up rounds fed after each shot, so that was a relief.

After I got home, I Googled quite a bit and learned that I am not alone with regards to the feed issues.  I then checked out the feed ramp when I was cleaning it and didn't notice any obvious issues.  I suppose that it could certainly benefit from being polished, but I have never had to do that before to get a reliable feed.

The trigger is decent, but not great.  Perhaps part of that will get better with use.  One weird issue - I seemed to jerk the frame for some reason when pulling the trigger unless I really concentrated.  I guess I'll need to get used to it.  In contrast, I was shooting my G27 like a laser today.

The 232 also made me appreciate my G27's aftermarket Trijicons, which have a super bright white circle around each dot for great visibility in daylight conditions.  I found the 232's sights to be far less visible....which sucks with these old eyes.

After noticing the first round feed issues at home, I am relieved that it feeds fine with a full side release and when firing.  Perhaps it will get better.  Of course, if everyone here says "mine feeds fine" then it may get an all expenses paid vacation to beautiful Exeter, NH.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top