Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 8/2/2010 2:10:50 AM
Anyone know of any police departments issuing the Glock 20 or any other 10mm?
paddymurphy
F.I.F.I
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 2:48:18 AM
Not sure what they use now but in the mid-late 90's I did a course with three guys from the Loveland CO PD. THey all carried Colt 10mm's and said they were issued, but the dept was considering changing guns. Think that was in 97.
If the Minute Men had buried their guns we would still be a colony.

I don't mean to be captain obvious of the asshole ship but yes, that many of your fellow Americans are THAT stupid. <----originally posted by sleepy56ace
GlutealCleft
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 4:08:55 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if cost of ammo was a significant factor for many PDs.
vanilla_gorilla
Browncoat
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 4:44:16 AM
I think the AK troopers carry the G20.
The public are the police and the police are the public, and both share the same responsibility for community safety. - Sir Robert Peel
paddymurphy
F.I.F.I
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 5:48:37 AM
Originally Posted By GlutealCleft:
I wouldn't be surprised if cost of ammo was a significant factor for many PDs.

It can be a deterrent, especially for larger agencies. On the other hand when the forty short and weak came out it was not a lot cheaper than 45. After a time economies of scale kicked in and brought the price down.

In LPD's case the issue was the colts were wearing, they couldn't be replaced and the Glock was too big for several of their officers. Which is the other issue with the 10mm, particularly in the Glock platform. Smaller statured officers are going to have issues either due to hand size or ability to deal with the recoil. Cannning said officers without a metric shit ton of retraining in the latter case and at all in the former will result in a law suit the agency will use. Ask the FBI.
If the Minute Men had buried their guns we would still be a colony.

I don't mean to be captain obvious of the asshole ship but yes, that many of your fellow Americans are THAT stupid. <----originally posted by sleepy56ace
mic214
Damn, those were the Droids we were looking for!
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 7:28:23 AM
I seem to recall that the FBI toyed with the Colt Delta Elites when they first came out, but then dropped the idea due to frame stress issues or something like that....

I am not sure if they were looking at them for general issue or if it was just for their HRT's....
"The 340PD is nothing but 12 ounces of pure titanium & scandium evil"

"This would never happen at Black Mesa"
53vortec
OIF II-V & 08-10
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 8:01:18 AM
[Last Edit: 8/2/2010 8:02:38 AM by 53vortec]
According to Wiki the Albuquerque, NM and the Anniston, AL Police Departs still issue 10mm. I've seen reference to the Danish Slædepatruljen Sirius apparently issue them as well.

You get the occasional individual officer who carries one in the departments that allow the 10, but by and large the 10mm is dead in law enforcement. There was the brief flash in the pan when the FBI went to the S&W 10XX pistols, but then the FBI and everyone else pretty much figured out it's not the ideal LE cartridge.
Order some golf shoes... otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive

.308- because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.
captain127
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 9:54:38 AM
seem to recall one of the southern highway patrols/state police(may have been kentucky?) issued every officer a G20 primary and G29 backup/off duty. This was written up in the Glock magazine a few years ago do not know if it is still correct
PO2Hammer
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 12:09:41 PM
Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

I though they carried the 21?
Merdoc
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 2:05:43 PM
all the state boys i see now days are rockin Glock 35s.

they are also packing a kel tec for a back up piece.

in the trunk for their cars are demilled M16A1s and Remington 870s.

Sarge1119
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 2:07:30 PM
Baytown Texas PD - Glock 20
flipper1
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 3:24:22 PM
I know two Deputies for our local SO that carry them.
xd-shawn
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 3:26:52 PM
Originally Posted By 53vortec:
According to Wiki the Albuquerque, NM and the Anniston, AL Police Departs still issue 10mm. I've seen reference to the Danish Slædepatruljen Sirius apparently issue them as well.

You get the occasional individual officer who carries one in the departments that allow the 10, but by and large the 10mm is dead in law enforcement. There was the brief flash in the pan when the FBI went to the S&W 10XX pistols, but then the FBI and everyone else pretty much figured out it's not the ideal LE cartridge.

i would think 10mm would be much more of a ideal cartridge for LEO than most of the others, big capacity, big knock down power, and awesome penatration to blow thru cars/ baracades, if it wasn't so big i'd CCW one of my 10mm's all the time
Maynard
Shogun Named Marcus
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 5:07:52 PM

Originally Posted By captain127:
seem to recall one of the southern highway patrols/state police(may have been kentucky?) issued every officer a G20 primary and G29 backup/off duty. This was written up in the Glock magazine a few years ago do not know if it is still correct

You're correct.

Kentucky, at one time, issued 10mm pistols to their SP.

IIRC, there were two States that used 10mm about 5 or so years ago. The other may have been Utah but I can't recall for certain.
Once we were a Nation of Riflemen
novaDAK
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 5:13:19 PM

Originally Posted By PO2Hammer:
Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

I though they carried the 21?

Glock 22
Join VCDL and support VA gun rights!
http://www.vcdl.org
VASCAR2
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 5:24:56 PM
When Ky Troopers carried the 10 MM they used the S&W 1006 or other variant with decocker instead of decocking safety.
shrapmagnet
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 5:39:57 PM
At one time (early 90's?) Waldo, Fl PD carried them
Lumpy196
Should be doing something else
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 5:51:25 PM
[Last Edit: 8/2/2010 5:51:43 PM by Lumpy196]
Quite a list we have going here.
Originally Posted By NoCharge4Awesome:
hey any of you other pussies want to go out shoe shopping together too? maybe do a little manicure while we are at it...
trobertson5-0
InstructorMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 7:11:27 PM
FBI was the original to issue the 10mm in a S&W and they even made H&K produce a 10mm version of the MP5(semi auto) that was an abortion.

Va. state police carried the S&W 1076 for a few years before switching to sigs.

I saw a Officer from a very small department who was still carrying a S&W 10mm a few months ago,just because they got them free from the state police when they retired them.
"Fast is fine,accuracy is final"
Accountant30339
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2010 10:10:59 PM
Originally Posted By trobertson5-0:
FBI was the original to issue the 10mm in a S&W and they even made H&K produce a 10mm version of the MP5(semi auto) that was an abortion.

Va. state police carried the S&W 1076 for a few years before switching to sigs.

I saw a Officer from a very small department who was still carrying a S&W 10mm a few months ago,just because they got them free from the state police when they retired them.

I shot one of FBI MP-5's in 10mm. It had the happy switch and it was sweet.

Accountant
53vortec
OIF II-V & 08-10
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 6:03:06 AM
Originally Posted By xd-shawn:

i would think 10mm would be much more of a ideal cartridge for LEO than most of the others, big capacity, big knock down power, and awesome penatration to blow thru cars/ baracades, if it wasn't so big i'd CCW one of my 10mm's all the time

How many units of knockdown power does it have? How much more quantifiable penetration does it offer?

.308- because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.
Screwball
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 9:44:40 AM
How many units of knockdown power does it have?

The S&W 10mm? Nine rounds, but there were also 11 and 15 rounders that were made for the FBI. Rare, though...
Rocksarge
Every Last Iota of a Cracker
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 10:20:50 AM
with all the tickets those guys write, i'd be surprised of they weren't using gilded glock 20s.
Originally Posted By shrapmagnet:
At one time (early 90's?) Waldo, Fl PD carried them

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical.

-Clyde Shelton
xd-shawn
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 12:15:35 PM

How many units of knockdown power does it have? How much more quantifiable penetration does it offer?

16 rounds in my G20, i'd say that's a substantial amount, some of my loads are pushing over 850ft lbs of energy, you do the math on the penatration of that
53vortec
OIF II-V & 08-10
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 12:55:54 PM

16 rounds in my G20, i'd say that's a substantial amount, some of my loads are pushing over 850ft lbs of energy, you do the math on the penatration of that

You misunderstood my first question. You said the 10mm has "big knockdown power." I'm asking what knockdown power is, how you quantify it, and what the end result is. Not capacity.

Regarding factoring the penetration, it's impossible to factor it with energy alone - things like target medium, projectile weight, and projectile sectional density, construction, etc.

vanilla_gorilla
Browncoat
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/3/2010 3:27:01 PM

You misunderstood my first question. You said the 10mm has "big knockdown power." I'm asking what knockdown power is, how you quantify it, and what the end result is. Not capacity.

Regarding factoring the penetration, it's impossible to factor it with energy alone - things like target medium, projectile weight, and projectile sectional density, construction, etc.

Fight the good fight, my friend.
The public are the police and the police are the public, and both share the same responsibility for community safety. - Sir Robert Peel
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED