Author
Posted: 5/3/2010 2:37:28 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to order a Glock 19 here within the next week or 2 and I really like the look of the Flat Dark Earth frame. My question is I know that Glock offers frames in OD Green, do they offer frames in FDE as well? If so, is there a part number for it? I called a gun store that I frequent and he couldn't find the part number.

Thanks for your help.
sweatpants
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 3:10:29 PM
Originally Posted By c_rogue69:
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to order a Glock 19 here within the next week or 2 and I really like the look of the Flat Dark Earth frame. My question is I know that Glock offers frames in OD Green, do they offer frames in FDE as well? If so, is there a part number for it? I called a gun store that I frequent and he couldn't find the part number.

Thanks for your help.

They don't offer an FDE frame but some OD frames turn out looking pretty tan.
Rescue43
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 3:32:10 PM
I don't think Glock has an FDE colored frame. I bought a G19 not too long ago, ordered in O.D.......and when it showed up, I SWORE it was FDE, but Glock called it O.D.

Ordered a G17 in O.D., and it showed up obviously O.D. I thinks sometimes, their color mixture gets contaminated, or something.
NoKarma
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 3:42:58 PM
I have asked the glock rep about fde and his response was that that here have only been 12 fde glocks made for military trials.
The OD frames often look like FDE when they are photographed.
NoKarma
Lovelessk999
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 4:05:01 PM
[Last Edit: 5/3/2010 4:12:01 PM by Lovelessk999]

Originally Posted By NoKarma:
I have asked the glock rep about fde and his response was that that here have only been 12 fde glocks made for military trials.
NoKarma

Don't think that is true. I have an FDE GLOCK 35 I bought used. Gimme a sec for pics.

Bottom is Larue FDE. Top is Magpul DE. Middle Mag is Magpul OD.

The GLOCK frame is clearly not OD. I've seen a few OD GLOCKS and they look fairly OD.

Politicians never accuse you of 'greed' for wanting other people's money --- only for wanting to keep your own money. --- Joseph Sobran
WMurderface
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 6:13:28 PM
Originally Posted By Lovelessk999:

NoKarma

Don't think that is true. I have an FDE GLOCK 35 I bought used. Gimme a sec for pics.

<a href="http://img266.imageshack.us/i/photonkj.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8154/photonkj.jpg</a>

The GLOCK frame is clearly not OD. I've seen a few OD GLOCKS and they look fairly OD.

Was that glock frame painted? I ask because it gives off a sheen in the picture
NoKarma
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 6:48:53 PM
I have seen alot of Glock OD guns that look FDE in photos but i have never seen one in real life.
NoKarma
Postal0311
Had anyone seen a pin?
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:27:19 PM
Some of the "OD" frames are rather tan-ish. Just keep shopping around in person.
Eat the apple, . . .

beequewl, "And use small words, i ate a lot of paint chips as a chld...and later in life as well."
HeavyMetal
Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:32:22 PM
Some of the Glock OD is more of a plain Olive Drab than an Olive Drab Green. Kind of half way between a FDE and OD Green. Actually, a pretty good base color.
I suppose it is possible to convey more ignorance with less words, but I doubt I will ever see it in my lifetime.--Bohr Adam

c_rogue69
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:56:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up just buying a standard Glock in black and sending the frame off to be duracoated. I'd hate to order an OD frame in hopes that it's more tan than green.
wreckdiver
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 7:59:51 PM
My Glock 19 is more of a Coyote than an OD green or FDE. It really depends on the lighting and the background.
HeavyMetal
Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/3/2010 8:28:30 PM
Originally Posted By c_rogue69:
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up just buying a standard Glock in black and sending the frame off to be duracoated. I'd hate to order an OD frame in hopes that it's more tan than green.

The OD would make a better base and would be much less likely to show a scratch. I might have it cerakoted but I would not waste my effort on duracot for a polymer frame.
I suppose it is possible to convey more ignorance with less words, but I doubt I will ever see it in my lifetime.--Bohr Adam

Lovelessk999
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 12:35:35 AM

Originally Posted By WMurderface:

NoKarma

<a href="http://img266.imageshack.us/i/photonkj.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8154/photonkj.jpg</a>

Nope. Just the lighting.

If it was painted I would have bitched up a storm to get a better deal.

I got s decent deal on it because GLOCK, insert gun store bs here ––- but it's the story as I heard it, stopped making FDE in .40. Any color other than black doesn't set as strong polymer wise.

Might be bullshit, might not. I don't shoot it enough to care, I just wanted a 35 and a 34 and I saw that one used and on sale.

Politicians never accuse you of 'greed' for wanting other people's money --- only for wanting to keep your own money. --- Joseph Sobran
nobodyg17
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 3:37:24 PM
Just ordered a OD G19 last week. It is very OD looking, maybe a bit light. You can not mistake it for FDE in person.
Porcine83
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 4:07:40 PM
I am picking up an OD 19 this week- if it's tan I'll be pissed, then I'll let the OP know and we can work something out
wreckdiver
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 6:43:39 PM
There is definitely a variation in the OD green that Glock uses. I went to a large gun show that had a pile of different model Glocks in OD. Some looked more "green" and others looked more brown. I think the newest ones are the more "greener" of the OD green Glocks. If it bothers you just go with basic black. Here's a pic of my OD 19.

FailureDrill-P099
Sickboy
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 7:46:45 PM
[Last Edit: 5/4/2010 8:46:44 PM by FailureDrill-P099]
Here is my OD G23. It is a GEA serial # 5-2004 one of the first month production OD's. works well with ACU and MARPAT I love it. This is natural light no flash.
Glock and Colt M16/AR15 Armorer

Two to the Body, One to the Head!
SLYHUNTR
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 8:07:36 PM
Kinda depends on flash from camera for pics...

Here is my 17 with flash.

And without.
Switchh
Wearer of Tinfoil
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/4/2010 10:19:55 PM
Originally Posted By SLYHUNTR:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/slyhuntr/Glock%2017/P4110119.jpg

And without.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/slyhuntr/Glock%2017/P4110120.jpg

Wow, that's quite a noticeable difference.
Thanks to Eroc for the membership.
6gunsal
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2010 4:20:09 PM
Originally Posted By SLYHUNTR:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/slyhuntr/Glock%2017/P4110119.jpg

And without.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y98/slyhuntr/Glock%2017/P4110120.jpg

ditto, great comparison. I do believe an OD 17 will be my next Glock.
Aggie_Gunner
Evil Oil Executive
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2010 4:54:22 PM
I pick up my new OD green 17 today!

- AG
I have a compulsion for firearms, matial arts, and explosives; other than that I'm pretty non-violent...

Smart as a horse, and hung like Einstein...
SLYHUNTR
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/5/2010 9:54:24 PM
Updated pic.....
bullitt5172
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/7/2010 3:55:17 PM

Originally Posted By WMurderface:

NoKarma

Nope. Just the lighting.

If it was painted I would have bitched up a storm to get a better deal.

I got s decent deal on it because GLOCK, insert gun store bs here ––- but it's the story as I heard it, stopped making FDE in .40. Any color other than black doesn't set as strong polymer wise.

Might be bullshit, might not. I don't shoot it enough to care, I just wanted a 35 and a 34 and I saw that one used and on sale.

That is OD, they never made a FDE version...
"The ACOG mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in WWII." -Major General J.N. Mattis
yakrat101
My indifference curve looks like a cliff face.
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/7/2010 6:08:13 PM
[Last Edit: 5/7/2010 6:09:26 PM by yakrat101]
Glocks OD can vary quite a bit. I just got in my second OD 19, in the pics you can tell a slightly darker color. It is more prominent in person. I'd have preferred a more FDE color but I'm fine with it. A lot of it is the lighting.

Newer 19 (more OD) on the left under flash.

Newer 19 (more OD) on the bottom under natural lighting. Gemtech Tundra in tan also shown.
Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. - Milton Friedman

There are only two questions that need be asked;

What is your desired end state?

What means are you willing to use to get there