Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2017 7:05:03 AM EDT
I am curious as to the trigger mods people are using on their carry guns(connectors, triggers, polish, etc).  My current EDC carry guns are both Gen 4 19's.
My older 19 has 5000+ rounds fired and my newer has 1500(both have a ton of dry fires as well).  While the older one has a better trigger they both kind of suck.  Is this a Gen 4 thing? I should add the only trigger mod to these guns is the addition of a smooth trigger.  

By comparison my USPSA LIMITED gun is a Gen 3 35 with a ton of rounds fired and a Ghost Ultimate connector.  This setup has a very crisp 4.5# trigger.  I am considering adding this connector to my carry guns.

Thoughts? opinions? What are you using?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The controversy about discussing this issue is fear that a prosecutor would have a dance on you if it was found the trigger had been altered.  On the other hand, a Glock N.Y. 15 pound trigger may be responsible for errant shots fired into a crowd instead of a bad guy.

If I were to change my Gen 4 trigger, which is considerably worse than a standard Gen 3 trigger due to the angle change on the connector (I believe), I may consider a Ghost trigger.  Ghost makes a variety of trigger configurations for the Glock that not only smooths the trigger out, but lightens it too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
G43. Added a Ghost Edge connector to bring the trigger pull down to normal GLOCK level. I would not do anything to any other "regular" model as I find the triggers completely acceptable as-is.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I know everyone talks about "What if in court" but seriously...   I am in my 40's and cannot remember even a single time on the news where anyone brought up the type of ammo used, the trigger modifications, the type of sights on the handgun (oh no, night sights- he must have wanted to shoot at night!), etc.    

Just modify your gun the way you want and don't worry about trivial things like that.   If you engrave your firearms with stupid sayings like "Kill everyone and have a nice day" then you will definitely get your ass handed to you by the defense should you ever need to defend yourself.   But the chances of them bringing up a different trigger spring or connector in the defense will never happen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
My carry Glock I have not done much but I have changed a few things.

G19.4
Extended slide stop
G17 smooth face trigger
"-" connector
Heavy trigger reset spring
Lighter striker block spring
2 dot night sights
Undercut the trigger guard
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Just polished it.

I'm not worried about legal issues, I just didn't really want aftermarket parts in my carry gun. I'm sure the good stuff is reliable, but I shoot it well as it is so I've just left it alone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#6]
My carry Glocks all have Overwatch triggers and - or . connectors.

I really love the flat faced Overwatch trigger.

I'm sure I could lighten or 'crisp up' the pulls, but I'm happy with the result of those two simple changes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sure I could lighten or 'crisp up' the pulls, but I'm happy with the result of those two simple changes.
View Quote
Adding 1 spring would change the trigger dramatically for the better.  Anytime I put a a connector in a Glock to drop the trigger weight it is mandatory I increase the reset spring weight.  It takes the mushiness out of the trigger as it breaks and increases reset tension of the trigger while dropping the pull weight about .25-.5#.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The controversy about discussing this issue is fear that a prosecutor would have a dance on you if it was found the trigger had been altered.  On the other hand, a Glock N.Y. 15 pound trigger may be responsible for errant shots fired into a crowd instead of a bad guy.

If I were to change my Gen 4 trigger, which is considerably worse than a standard Gen 3 trigger due to the angle change on the connector (I believe), I may consider a Ghost trigger.  Ghost makes a variety of trigger configurations for the Glock that not only smooths the trigger out, but lightens it too.
View Quote
The crappy gen 4 trigger is NOT caused by the connector or even the new ejector housing angle

It's caused by excess friction from out of spec trigger bars. And to a lessor extent by that stupid nub on the trigger bar (that alone isn't the cause)

My gen 4 felt like crap with stock trigger, felt like crap with a zev gen 3, felt AWSOME with a stock gen 3
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The crappy gen 4 trigger is NOT caused by the connector or even the new ejector housing angle

It's caused by excess friction from out of spec trigger bars. And to a lessor extent by that stupid nub on the trigger bar (that alone isn't the cause)

My gen 4 felt like crap with stock trigger, felt like crap with a zev gen 3, felt AWSOME with a stock gen 3
View Quote
That is kind of in the right direction but not very accurate description of the problem.  I have actually done testing when I was trying to find a trigger setup I liked.  I had a whole pile of parts and both a Gen3 and Gen4 to do the testing.  What I found was not out of spec or the nub being an issue.  My findings were that a worn in trigger bar that had mated to the connector\striker would yield a better trigger every single time no matter the Gen or nub/no-nub.  When Glock stamps out the trigger bars they have rough spots all over them.  If you take your fingernail and run it along contact points you can feel the burs, ledges, and leftover metal.  One thing I did find that was intriguing was the nub made the trigger more repeatable on its result.  Without the nub the trigger pull had a wider range of fluctuation on weight not much but it did show up on the trigger gauge that the weight would bounce around a little more.  The nub make the trigger bar interact with the striker block in a more consistent manner hitting the same spot each time.  I have heard this myth about Gen3 vs Gen4 trigger bars for awhile and frankly it is completely false.  The best smoothest Glock trigger will come from a trigger bar that has been cleaned up of burs, ledges, and rough spots on the contact points coupled with the mileage for it to mate with the connector.  For this reason you cannot judge the Glock trigger till it gets miles on it because it will smooth out, lighten up slightly as the friction between the contact points wears together, and just generally break in.

What you probably experienced was a trigger bar that has less imperfections.  The machine that probably stamped it probably stamped the bar cleaner or the stock bar was stamped by a rougher well used stamp leaving imperfections.  Like comparing a sharp knife vs dull when you cut tomato.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies!  I'm thinking I'm going to throw a Ghost connector in one of them and see what it does.  On the other hand I have a G34 with 15k+ rounds through it with the factory - connector.  I hate that trigger almost as much due to how mushy it is.  The Ghost Ultimate seems to approximate the - weight only considerably more chrisp. Also for some reason I hate the grooved triggers on factory compacts.   These get changed immediately.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Adding 1 spring would change the trigger dramatically for the better.  Anytime I put a a connector in a Glock to drop the trigger weight it is mandatory I increase the reset spring weight.  It takes the mushiness out of the trigger as it breaks and increases reset tension of the trigger while dropping the pull weight about .25-.5#.
View Quote
What reset spring weight would you suggest?

Part number off hand if it's a stock Glock spring?

Willing to give it a go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That is kind of in the right direction but not very accurate description of the problem.  I have actually done testing when I was trying to find a trigger setup I liked.  I had a whole pile of parts and both a Gen3 and Gen4 to do the testing.  What I found was not out of spec or the nub being an issue.  My findings were that a worn in trigger bar that had mated to the connector\striker would yield a better trigger every single time no matter the Gen or nub/no-nub.  When Glock stamps out the trigger bars they have rough spots all over them.  If you take your fingernail and run it along contact points you can feel the burs, ledges, and leftover metal.  One thing I did find that was intriguing was the nub made the trigger more repeatable on its result.  Without the nub the trigger pull had a wider range of fluctuation on weight not much but it did show up on the trigger gauge that the weight would bounce around a little more.  The nub make the trigger bar interact with the striker block in a more consistent manner hitting the same spot each time.  I have heard this myth about Gen3 vs Gen4 trigger bars for awhile and frankly it is completely false.  The best smoothest Glock trigger will come from a trigger bar that has been cleaned up of burs, ledges, and rough spots on the contact points coupled with the mileage for it to mate with the connector.  For this reason you cannot judge the Glock trigger till it gets miles on it because it will smooth out, lighten up slightly as the friction between the contact points wears together, and just generally break in.

What you probably experienced was a trigger bar that has less imperfections.  The machine that probably stamped it probably stamped the bar cleaner or the stock bar was stamped by a rougher well used stamp leaving imperfections.  Like comparing a sharp knife vs dull when you cut tomato.
View Quote
That's an intersting possibility but...

A mirror polished zev trigger (gen 3 with the polymer replaced) was much heavier and grittier than a stock gen 3 that hadn't even been fired yet

It just felt very friction-ish dispite being mirror polished
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Simple questions and answers are best here:
1) does it work 100% reliably?
2) does it put rounds where you need them to go ?
3) can you effectively employ it to defend yourself and loved ones?
If you answered yes to the three questions above the gun requires no further attention
If ( and it is a BIG if) you feel the need to tinker with your carry gun keep in mind from my personal experience nearly every glock I have seen choke on the range has its issues traced to malfunctioning, improperly dimensioned or improperly installed after market parts.
While some can tinker and have a good result, EVERY mod you make to a carry gun has the potential to affect reliability. I have seen something as simple as a grip swap do this! Grips or screws bind on inserted or ejected mags or bind on revolver mainsprings.
Classic example when in Iraq we got a shipment of laser grips for beretta- the guys over tightened the crap out of the screws to the point it interfered with magazine insertion!
Proceed with care and be realistic about what gain you may get and the possible risks you take to get there
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#14]
For me, on a fun gun and range use only, I will get a quality trigger and make the most of it. On my carry sidearm, I will only use the factory as it works quite well and is not that bad.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What reset spring weight would you suggest?

Part number off hand if it's a stock Glock spring?

Willing to give it a go.
View Quote
I use the Zev competition heavy trigger reset spring.  It is 6# vs the stock 5#.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A mirror polished zev trigger (gen 3 with the polymer replaced) was much heavier and grittier than a stock gen 3 that hadn't even been fired yet

View Quote
It could have been how that bar interacted with your connector, striker, and striker block.  Polished can only do so much what it really takes is for the parts to mate.  Take for instance a brand newly assembled engine as the pistols\rings move along the cylinder walls they slowly are polished, as the crank moves against the bearing and rods they polish and become smoother.  Well as your trigger bar moves against the connector, striker block and striker those parts polish\mate to each other.  You may have got a better cleaner trigger bar.  

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my neighbor we both have G43's mirror images of each other except for sights.  My trigger is much smoother because I took 600 grit sand paper and removed all the MIM seams and rough spots on the contact areas coupled with probably 4 times as much shooting through it.  When I first got my G43 the trigger was gritty, and just generally trashy feeling.  Spent 15-20 minutes cleaning up the roughness and mine feels 10x smoother than his did.  I did the same thing to his and now they are very similar but not as good because he has not dry fired or shot it near as much as me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I use the Zev competition heavy trigger reset spring.  It is 6# vs the stock 5#.
View Quote
Thanks, ill give one a shot and ring it out oin the range before putting into my edc gun
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Polished Factory parts, Dab of grease on contact points.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks, ill give one a shot and ring it out oin the range before putting into my edc gun
View Quote
Make sure it is installed just like the spring you remove and that it gets into the groove of the bar.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Minus Connector
Reduced Safety Plunger Spring

... And the best kept secret: the Glockstore grip-plug 2.5oz (way underapreciated, recoil plummets)
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Ghost 'Edge' improved mine a little. It was a cheap quick slight improvement. I think it was worth the $20.00 or so.
YMMV
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#22]
G19.3 and Ghost "-" disconnect in my daily carry. Have a full Zev Fulcrum trigger kit in my G17.3 that I occasionally carry in the cooler seasons. I also have the same trigger kit in my G34.3 and have well over 60k rounds fired in training and competitions with the lighter triggers to have no worries about them being too light in a SD situation.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#23]
The trigger gets better the more I shoot it. I tried some different connectors in other glocks and never found anything I thought was worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Agency Arms
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#25]
All have Agency Arms. Some drop-in, some fitted.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Make sure it is installed just like the spring you remove and that it gets into the groove of the bar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found a Ghost 6# in my parts box... dry firing in a G19.4 with Overwatch trigger and factory '.' connector is a bit crisper.  Will put a few hundred rounds through it and see if it gets better.
Threw a Zev 6# in my cart at Brownells, I'll tag it into my next order.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Found a Ghost 6# in my parts box... dry firing in a G19.4 with Overwatch trigger and factory '.' connector is a bit crisper.  Will put a few hundred rounds through it and see if it gets better.
Threw a Zev 6# in my cart at Brownells, I'll tag it into my next order.
View Quote
The Ghost is just the same and probably made by the same spring manufacturer as the Zev.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Ghost Edge connector and OD green NY trigger.

Gives me 5lbs to break and a monster reset.

Good enough for my use.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Ghost is just the same and probably made by the same spring manufacturer as the Zev.
View Quote
I like to have spares.  The AWB made me paranoid about running out of parts, mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Agency Arms drop in trigger.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Glock minus connector in my gen 3 23.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The controversy about discussing this issue is fear that a prosecutor would have a dance on you if it was found the trigger had been altered...  
View Quote
Personally I don't subscribe to this; if you meant to pull the trigger I don't think it matters if you used 25lbs or 2.5lbs to pull the trigger.  Now if your a dummy and have an AD because your untrained with your trigger then that's a different issue.

So for the original post; I don't mind carrying a modded trigger as long as I have proven the trigger reliable through use (several hundred rounds including carry ammo.)
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Gen 3 trigger bar
- connector
Heavy trigger return spring
Apex firing pin block
Zev reduced firing pin block spring

I have found this combo to give a very very nice trigger pull.  Minimizes stacking, crisp enough break, and a solid reset.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:04:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Used to run a Zev Fulcrum (non-adjustable) trigger.  However, I did something stupid and forced it outta commission.  Ended up pulling out the trigger out of my Agency G19 (my mutt G17 is my primary gun) and threw it into my HD/training gun.  Strangely, I didn't like the Agency trigger out of the G19, but LOVE LOVE LOVE it out of the G17.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put just shy of a case through my 19.4 with Overwatch and a '.' connector with the Ghost Spring... it is crisper and does feel better overall.  I think Imma go ahead and order a pile of the #6 springs to put into my other Glocks.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Glock 19- glock minus connector, glock maritime spring cups, wolf 6 pound trigger return spring. Then shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Put just shy of a case through my 19.4 with Overwatch and a '.' connector with the Ghost Spring... it is crisper and does feel better overall.  I think Imma go ahead and order a pile of the #6 springs to put into my other Glocks.

Thanks for the suggestion.
View Quote

It is the one thing Glock needs to include on all new Glocks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#38]
All my Glocks are blue label with factory NS and LEO triggers. I believe they are 4.5 lbs. I've always been comfortable with these triggers. Haven't had need to change them out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Overwatch trigger with a ghost rocket connector.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ghost Edge connector and OD green NY trigger.

Gives me 5lbs to break and a monster reset.

Good enough for my use.
View Quote
I do just about the same thing but use the Zev race connector.  A little under 5 lbs to break and the monster reset (almost revolver-ish) reset.  I dig it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Glock trigger weight is based on geometry and has a little bit to do with spring tension. Polishing does nothing that firing a few hundred rounds won't do.

I switched my ribbed trigger out with with a smooth one, and installed the Zev connector, trigger reset spring, and plunger spring. I left the firing pin spring stock to avoid the infamous light striking issue. Trigger weight comes in at just under 4 lbs
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I have whatever came in the guns.

I know they arent ny triggers.

i should probably strip my carry gun down and do a deep clean and polish....but honestly.....i really dgaf.  It shoots.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was the surface it was pressing against polished?
A highly smooth surface grinding on a gritty one can amplify the feeling....at least imho.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#44]
All of my Glocks get a set of factory steel sights and a "-" connector no matter what they're used for. The lowest trigger pull on any of my Glocks with just the "-" connector is 4.2lbs, but every other one has been 4.5lbs or higher. My mind set is on hitting where I'm aiming in a high stress situation, not if someone is going to point out a modification on a gun I deliberately used to defend my life or the life of a loved one.  I've read stories where people used a target gun with a 3lb> trigger pull that never had it brought up in court since it was a self defense shooting. I have real things to worry about.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The controversy about discussing this issue is fear that a prosecutor would have a dance on you if it was found the trigger had been altered.
View Quote
The "controversy" is more Internet myth than fact. Here is a US Law Shield article about it -

https://blog.uslawshield.com/legal-risks-of-modifying-your-trigger-pull/
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Glock 19.4
OEM G17.4 smooth face trigger bar

That's pretty much it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The "controversy" is more Internet myth than fact. Here is a US Law Shield article about it -

https://blog.uslawshield.com/legal-risks-of-modifying-your-trigger-pull/
View Quote
its up there with the FAA "regulations" the internet likes to make up about traveling with guns and ammo.

Good article
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#48]
If I carry a Glock it'd be my G43.

It was a factory (-) connector and Overwatch Precision DAT trigger and that's all.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Can someone point me to a good video on polishing the parts discussed above?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#50]
My Gen 3 G19 has a 5.5 pound Ghost Tactical connector and a little polishing.  Makes follow up shots much quicker.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top