Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 11:10:37 PM EDT
Opinions on the G20 vs the G29? It would be my first Glock.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Intended use?

I'm leaning towards the G20. Longer sight radius, more manageable recoil, more velocity. Quite appropriate for hunting if you're into that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a Glock 20.  I ended up selling it and buying a Glock 40 MOS.. It is my favorite pistol to take with me when I am out in the desert.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]
10mm is best mm, and you can't go wrong with either one.  <G20 owner>
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:35:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a G20 haven't shot it yet as haven't had time to go to the range. Planning on taking it out Monday. Would have gotten the G40mos yet none were in stock
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I wanted something which carried more rounds than my old Ruger SS .357 Mag , 4-5/8" revolver for out in the backcountry.

I have carried that thing since it was new, but with the changing of the attitude of humanity to lack of consideration for others, cartel dope growers/manufacturers, and the ever present critter threat, I opted for the 10MM.

(Plus, I have always wanted to kill a deer with a pistol, call me crazy)

SO, I borrowed a buddies G20 for a week or two, then another friends custom, longslide .45 auto.
I even tried the usual .454, .460 S&W revolvers.
But again, the 5 to 6 rounds kept me going back to the 10MM.

Then. Glock came out with the G40.
I rented one at Impact Guns in Boise for a couple of hours, and found the gun heavy, but soft on recoil, and accurate.

I bought one in April 2016, and put a Burris FF3 on it.
I Also bought an Alaskan Ultimate holster, chest carry type rig.
Not the prettiest setup, but very functional, and at 75 yards, it is a worthy sidearm.
Anything closer then 75 yards is going to suffer.

Is it big, yes, but carried in a chest rig, it is very serviceable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#6]
If your gonna carry it, go G29. The holsters will also fit the G30.

Same for G20. The holsters will also fit the G21.

I have the G20 and G40 MOS. I like both. (I also have the .45's-all models except G36).

The G40, I'm very accurate with, just as the G41.

They both have a "tad" more flip than the G20/G21.

My first Glock was a G21. I'm also accurate with the G's 20/21.

I suspect you need to think of what it is you want from the gun to
decide which is best for you.

But, if your gonna carry it, G29.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Primarily I want it for back country carry but concealability would be a plus, that's why I was considering the 29. I was in Reno a few weeks ago and looked at a G20 but was wanting to at least see a 29. Can anyone explain what is the difference in the short frame? By looking at the Glock website I can't readily see any significant difference.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The SF model has a shorter reach around the backstrap area where the web of your hand (between the thumb and index finger) rests. Basically it reduces the distance, or reach, needed for your trigger finger to mate with the trigger and your hand to envelope around the grip. The Gen4 is said to emulate the same measurements as a SF model when running no add-on backstraps.

I have a 20SF and a 40. And yes, they feel the same in my hand ergonomics wise.

Depending on your body size/type, I would think you could carry a 20 with minimal effort. The 29 carries fine as well, I just didn't like the large frame size with the short grip length....felt funky in my hands.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Primarily I want it for back country carry but concealability would be a plus, that's why I was considering the 29. I was in Reno a few weeks ago and looked at a G20 but was wanting to at least see a 29. Can anyone explain what is the difference in the short frame? By looking at the Glock website I can't readily see any significant difference.
View Quote
The "SF" frame, as stated above, has a shorter distance from back of grip to trigger. In gen 3, there is a standard frame size and, in most cases, there is a SF frame. i.e. 20SF/29SF.

In generation 4, the grip is the SAME size as gen 3 "SF" where applicable, meaning, if there is a gen 3 SF variant of that model, then, gen 4 is the same size.

The "M" back strap of a gen 4 pistol makes the grip the same size as a standard grip in previous generations. The "L" back strap goes one larger and both
sizes have a beaver-tail and a regular strap in the case.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a gen4 29 as well as a gen3 20sf, I'll likely have a gen4 40 MOS before all too long.

For concealability, the 29 rules the 10mm Glock offerings.. it's similar in size to the Glock 19 for a general reference... the 29s barrel is slightly shorter, grip slightly shorter, slide is wider though and the 29 is heavier... it's like the midpoint between a 26 and 19 I guess, but I think of it as very close to 19 size.  I find it very easy to carry and it conceals very well.

Shootability is where the 20sf (and 40) wins... the full grip really adds to recoil control and overall comfort.  The 29 is a snappy little gun that can become unpleasant after an extended range session.  The full size grip makes handling hotter loads much less of a chore.   Getting sights back on target for a followup shot is noticeably faster with the 20 vs the 29 if you don't stay in practice.

If I'm not mistaken the 3rd gen 20's and 29's that are still being made are ALL 'SF' frames, I don't think they even make the original full frame size currently.  I measured my 20sf vs an older 21 and the total grip circumference backstrap to trigger was only different by about 0.3 inches... not a ton, but it feels like a huge difference in hand.  If you look at the gripframe from the bottom, the SF models have a smaller grip plug hole area... they shortened that backstrap hump from a full 'D' shape down to a much smaller arch.  My Gen4 29 feels even slightly smaller in hand vs the 20sf... not greatly different, I would have to measure to be sure but I'd guess the grip itself is slightly slimmer?  That is probably just me...  I ended up putting the slimmer "M" backstrap with beavertail on my 29 that mimic the full size frame of old.  I like the beavertail and the backstrap beefed the 29 up enough to feel good in my hand.

If I were looking for a woods gun today, I'd lean strongly toward the 40 for the full size grip and longer barrel / sight radius.... possibly the MOS model if you're an RMR fan (I'm rapidly becoming a believer, if I am not a full convert already).  If I wanted a 10mm for CCW purposes around people, the 29 is an easy choice.  The 20 is a great all around choice that splits the size differences... I have a nice Summer Special type IWB that hides my 20sf under a t-shirt so it is easy enough to carry but the 29 does hide easier.  The 20 is probably the best 'compromise' choice when ballistics, recoil impulse, concealablity and such are factored in... but I still love my 29.

I might be tempted to get a 29 and then spring for an extended barrel for woods carry... I've seen aftermarket from 4.5" to 6" easily available.  You'd get better ballistics, but not the benefits of better sight radius.

Personally, I love my G4 29, but I am realistic enough to know that it's not the best gun for every use or every shooter.

(Note:  I'm tired... hopefully the above gibberish makes some sense)
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
It does make sense and I'm still trying to decide, so many choices.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It does make sense and I'm still trying to decide, so many choices.
View Quote
If the gun's primary role is to travel to the woods with you, I would go
either: G20SF or gen 4 -or- G40.

I would not use my concealed carry gun for the woods. I do not CC the 10mm.

A shooter, shooting in defense, is responsible for where his round goes.
The 10mm is a powerful round. For this reason I carry either .357 or 9mm.
Usually 9mm.

For home, I've got multiple choices in pistols, AR's and 12 ga. But, carry, there is more to think of.
Innocent bystanders for one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#13]
It wouldn't be my EDC. Open carry is legal but if I stop for gas I usually cover it with my shirt. As for over penetration, If I were stop in town with it I would just put in a mag of 40S&W.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It wouldn't be my EDC. Open carry is legal but if I stop for gas I usually cover it with my shirt. As for over penetration, If I were stop in town with it I would just put in a mag of 40S&W.
View Quote
A mag of .40sw *might* function properly (and most likely would)... but it isn't the best choice.  .40sw and 10mm headspace off the case mouth, putting .40sw into a 10mm Glock forces it headspace off the extractor.   It also makes you rely on the extractor to hold the round properly in place for igntion.  Might be OK as an occasional range trick, but nothing I'd stake my life on.  A .40sw conversion barrel is easy and cheap insurance vs intentionally putting the wrong caliber into a gun.
Over penetration with 10mm hollow points isn't really a huge concern... use a good defensive ammo and it would be fine.

I carry nice deep penetrating solids in the woods.  I switch to a good JHP for social purposes.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A mag of .40sw *might* function properly (and most likely would)... but it isn't the best choice.  .40sw and 10mm headspace off the case mouth, putting .40sw into a 10mm Glock forces it headspace off the extractor.   It also makes you rely on the extractor to hold the round properly in place for igntion.  Might be OK as an occasional range trick, but nothing I'd stake my life on.  A .40sw conversion barrel is easy and cheap insurance vs intentionally putting the wrong caliber into a gun.
Over penetration with 10mm hollow points isn't really a huge concern... use a good defensive ammo and it would be fine.

I carry nice deep penetrating solids in the woods.  I switch to a good JHP for social purposes.
View Quote
There is no need for a .40 conversion barrel.  You can shoot .40 in a 10mm glock in my opinion.  I am not recommending it but I have and nothing broke.  Here are some thoughts on this exact subject:  

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/now-ive-went-and-bought-a-g20sf.1663574
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is no need for a .40 conversion barrel.  You can shoot .40 in a 10mm glock in my opinion.  I am not recommending it but I have and nothing broke.  Here are some thoughts on this exact subject:  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand by what I said above... it can work, but I wouldn't recommend it for carry.  I won't stake my life on an extractor/spring... I'll carry the proper ammo for the chamber when my life is on the line.  What others do is beyond my control.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks. Excellent thread. I had not read that one before but had read other articles and watched a number of videos giving the same explanations.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Bump. Thinking about a 20SF as a backup hunting rig and for camping and the like. Not sure that I am comfy with the 124 gr +p HSTs in my Glock 19 for hungry bears and the like. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bump. Thinking about a 20SF as a backup hunting rig and for camping and the like. Not sure that I am comfy with the 124 gr +p HSTs in my Glock 19 for hungry bears and the like. 
View Quote
The 20SF is a great pistol... love mine.  Easy to drop a 6" barrel in it to improve ballistics.
The 40 / 40MOS are long barrels from the start and have improved sight radius... but not nearly as easy to hide... the 20SF hides pretty well if you need it to.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I gave up on ever seeing a G29. I went to the nearest LGS 80 miles away and was going to get a 20, he didn't have one. As I was leaving he said I have a G29. He doesn't have it any more. It is a gen 3 and I probably paid too much but the next nearest gun store was another 65 miles and I hate going there. I would have liked a gen 4 for the changeable back strap but it wasn't a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd go Glock 20, I love mine for a duty gun/ranch gun. If you want it for conceal carry, then yeah go Glock 29
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm just going to use it for back country carry. Not going to use it for hunting or to shoot thousands of rounds, just plink a few pinecones and horse turds every now and then.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Next thing you should know is to stick to the Sig ammo. Most 10mm loads are basically 50-100 fps hotter than .40. Sig loads are honest at 1,250 fps, I say this because if you're going to pay $30 or mor per box it really should be spent on 10mm ballistics not .40 S&W.  For example American Eagle 10mm at Cabelas is $37 a box and is barely warmer than their .40 loads. You might also consider that conversion barrel or even reloading. Personally for the uses you listed a G19 would have been fine and cost half as much to feed, but to each their own. 
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#24]
We don't have grizzlies around here. The bears we do have are scrawny trying to survive on pine cones and rosehips and I suppose one could get froggy out of hunger. I've never had any problems with them and don't expect any but I'm always careful. I reload and I'm also looking at buffalo boar.

I don't know what happened to me. I have been a big bore revolver man 35 years or so and I'm almost ashamed that I have taken a real liking to the plastic. A G19 is next on the list.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:36:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I gave up on ever seeing a G29. I went to the nearest LGS 80 miles away and was going to get a 20, he didn't have one. As I was leaving he said I have a G29. He doesn't have it any more. It is a gen 3 and I probably paid too much but the next nearest gun store was another 65 miles and I hate going there. I would have liked a gen 4 for the changeable back strap but it wasn't a deal breaker.
View Quote
Enjoy that 29... I still absolutely love mine.

For more ballistic punch you can drop in an aftermarket extended 29 barrel if you like.
You can also use the 20/40 mags for easier handling and extra rounds.  I've yet to encounter feed issues using full size mags in my 29.

When I carry my 29, I use a standard mag in the gun and carry a full size mag for reload.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I will be getting a G20 magazine and also a longer barrel for mountain carry. What barrel do you recommend?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will be getting a G20 magazine and also a longer barrel for mountain carry. What barrel do you recommend?
View Quote
I put an extended barrel into my 20sf, but off hand KKM and Lone Wolf make extended Glock 29 barrels... not sure if others do as well.

KKM makes a great barrel,  but it is far from the cheapest option.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been very happy with my g29. I just shot a competition the other day with it and did well.  Because it uses the larger frame Glock base, it's way better at controlling recoil than shooting .40 out of a g27. If you get a 2 port lone wolf barrel for it, it's a no brainer. 
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a G20 haven't shot it yet as haven't had time to go to the range. Planning on taking it out Monday. Would have gotten the G40mos yet none were in stock
View Quote
Same, I don't even have ammo for mine.
Over a year in the safe now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had two G20SF (actually the same gun twice) and G20 Gen 4.

I started out with a G20SF because I wanted something for "hiking" and four-legged animal control.  The 10mm round (when loaded beyond 40SW performance...which unfortunately is what most commercial ammo is loaded to) is a great / flat shooting round.  I'm old fashioned and liked WSTH.  The gun was too big for CCW so I ended up selling it.  Several years later I bought it back.  I shot it more this time around, but it was expensive to shoot and big.  At some point I decided to add a Gen4.  Never even fired it.  Sold the SF, Gen4, a pile of mags and case of WSTH.  I don't regret it at all.

I found the IDEA of a 15rd 10mm to be much better than the REALITY of a 15rd 10mm.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I have owned, G20,G21,G17,G19,G23,G42 and G27. My favorite is the G20. Go G20.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I already fent G29 gen three with the regular frame. I took it shooting yesterday with American Eagle 180 grain full jacketed. Even with the small grip recoil was mild. It made me do this.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Glad to hear your digging it.

I love my 29.4 as I pointed out above... it does get snappy with heavy loads, and that is where the 20 frame shows it's strengths, but it is easily manageable for a few rounds... extended range sessions with heavy loads get uncomfortable.

Enjoy your little beast, I know I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I already fent G29 gen three with the regular frame. I took it shooting yesterday with American Eagle 180 grain full jacketed. Even with the small grip recoil was mild. It made me do this.
View Quote
The ammo you shot is basically 40SW.

Try some ammo that will capitalize on the 10mm's capabilities:

Winchester 175gr STHP was my personal favorite...mild but effective.

Buffalo Bore loads 180gr to 1350fps (728fpe)
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Your American Eagle 10mm ammo is spec'd at:

Muzzle Velocity = 1060 fps
Energy = 449 fpe

American Eagle 40SW is spec'd at:

MV = 990 fps
ME = 390 fpe

Good 175-180gr 10mm ammo will run:

MV = 1250-1350 fps
ME = 650-725 fpe
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I want some hot ammo but it's hard to find. It's 80 miles to the nearest Walmart and the same to the nearest gun store, and all he had was the American Eagle. There is a Cabelas 150 miles away so when I have to go into the city I will get some of the good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#37]
G20
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Here are a G29 and a G23 (same as G19) for comparison.

While the 23 is a little longer in both slide and grip, the picture really doesn't capture how the 29 is wider.

I have owned both the G20 and G29 (as well as a bunch of the other models built on the 9mm/40 frames). I found the 29 the least comfortable to carry. I probably should have tried a different holster. In the end I sold it and used those funds for something else. For other people, the G29 may fit them perfectly.

Shooting over the chronograph, I find the G29 generally lost around 100 fps vs. a Colt Delta with a 5" barrel.

Good factory defensive ammo I had tried included 175 gr. Silvertips, (1129 fps in the G29) and Hornady "Custom" 180 gr. JHP (1107 fps). Also a nod to Corbon 150 gr. JHP (1216 fps). I found none of them unpleasant to shoot. But then I would consider all of these to be "mid-range" loads. For top end stuff, try Buffalo Bore or go to reloading.

I generally like Federal Hydrashock. But in 10mm, they literally load them to .40 velocities. In the 180 gr. variety, the 10mm shot from the G29 (962 fps) was only 14 fps faster than the .40 version shot from a G23. It may be that Federal tested and determined this to be the optimal velocity.

There are also a few caliber conversions available, with just a barrel (and maybe mainspring) swap. The .40 conversion was mentioned above. You can also do .357 Sig. And if you really want a flamethrower, I see Lone Wolf offers a 9X25 Dillon conversion barrel.

In any event, enjoy your new gun.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I chose the G40 Gen4 long slide.  For me, this will be a hunting pistol.  I have been hog hunting at night with an AR, but will use the Glock this fall.   Trijicon RMR sight, Streamlight TLR-1 HL light.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I've never hunted hogs it sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#41]
If you have to have a 10mm, get at least the G20 or possibly the G40.  I've had both, as well as the 29 and to me the 29 is just too fat feeling and bulky.  Plus, most people get 10mm for the velocity, so a 20 or 40 will help you out there.  If I were to get back into the 10mm, it would either be a G20 or a G40.  FWIW I don't care for the G30 either, same size as G29, but they're seriously short and fat "little" guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top