Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/24/2017 9:52:16 PM EDT
I bought the G43 HDs a year or 2 ago and like some have the problem of hitting low. I'm hitting roughly 4" low at 25 feet so I changed my point of aim to get hits but I'm not happy about it.

Since summer is about 2 weeks long in Wisconsin I carry my G32 mostly then one of my 19s. I want to carry my 43 more but this sight issue needs to get figured out first.

I haven't shot my 43 since last summer so I decided it was time to get reacquainted with my frustrating sight picture. I shot 300 rounds at 25 Yards and decided to change my sight picture rather then my POA.

Raising the front sight is getting me 3" to 5" groups at 25 Yards so I shot at 20 feet and was getting 3" or less groups. So i'm saying the raised front sight picture is giving me pretty much the same impact point at both distances.

This is the sight picture I am holding but I hate doing it and just want a normal 6 O'clock hold like the rest of my glocks. I'm thinking about going back to regular 3 dot sights but I do like how bright the front HD sight is, any suggestions?

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
What bullet weight? Heavier bullets tend to hit higher at close to medium ranges.
150 gr. short barrel HST load.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't shot mime on paper since installing my HD's, but it seems to shoot pretty much the same (or close enough) for me on my steel targets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot way low with HDs on the G43 and standard Glocks. My Vickers Glocks also shoot low for me. My buddy uses the Wilson Combat rear with an HD front and that seems to shoot POA for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What bullet weight? Heavier bullets tend to hit higher at close to medium ranges.
150 gr. short barrel HST load.
View Quote
I was shooting 124gr lawman and some 124gr Geco that shot about same aside from the Geco being dirtier.

I also shot 1 mag of my carry ammo, 124 Gold Dots.

I only use my heavier target ammo in my canned MPX but I'll try some 147 HSTs before I ditch the sights, I thought the short barrel stuff has been proven no better then regular or was that some BS I read?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I shoot way low with HDs on the G43 and standard Glocks. My Vickers Glocks also shoot low for me. My buddy uses the Wilson Combat rear with an HD front and that seems to shoot POA for me.
View Quote
Interesting, I'll look into that as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Trijicon HD's are junk. That's just my opinion for those of you who are gonna get butthurt.

I had them on a 17 and shot it with other Glocks to compare. POA/POI was not the same at any distance. I had to do as the OP did and use an abnormal hold. That's great for point shooting, but not so much when you actually want to make a precision shot. All of my pistols now have Ameriglo Defoors.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#7]
First set I put on my 43 when the guns first came out.
Not only did I have the same problems with POA/POI, but I also had one of the Tritium vials break within the first week of use.

Returned that set and got some Heinie Straight 8's, best money I ever spent
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Agreed. For me I don't like the U cut rear sight. I like ameriglo pro rear sight and ameriglo CAP square front sight.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a set of Trijicon 3 dots on a 43 and they also hit low.  

I have two sets of Ameriglo UCs on two other 43s and they hit low too, but not as low as the Trijicons.  

Ameriglo makes a taller rear sight to correct it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the Heinie Ledge Pros on my G43 and a 6 o'clock hold at 7-10 hits dead center and a cover hold at 25 hits center.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll take them if you're interested in selling.

Shoot me a PM. I even have a set of great condition AmeriGlo CAP sights I'd trade you.

Sent you an e-mail. Hope that's ok!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'll take them if you're interested in selling.

Shoot me a PM. I even have a set of great condition AmeriGlo CAP sights I'd trade you.

Sent you an e-mail. Hope that's ok!
View Quote
I'm thinking about grinding the front sight down till the dot is touching the frame. It would be a pain because the bottom is not flat.  The threaded hole is sitting on a step and is going to need to be threaded deep enough to still tightened once material is removed.

I haven't screwed anything up with my Dremel in a while so I'm due
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have them on my 43 and don't care for them much. I like the ameriglo I-dot pro that are on my 19 much better.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the xr's on mine and they've been great so far.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]
What sight picture are you using? Trijicons are calibrated for a center hold (dot is poi).  OEM sights are calibrated to top of the front sight blade at 25m
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What sight picture are you using? Trijicons are calibrated for a center hold (dot is poi).  OEM sights are calibrated to top of the front sight blade at 25m
View Quote
Doesn't matter if it was center or 6 o'clock hold i'd know point of impact after the first shot.

When you line up the top of the front and rear sights and it impacts many inches lower then POA that is a problem IMO.

I personally think the G43 shoots low and Trijicon should have compensated for that by lowering the front sight.

I regret not shooting it with the factory sights and tossing them in the trash because i'd like to have known the POI they had and measure them for myself.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have four sets of the HD's and I wouldn't trade them for anything else.  My impacts match my point of aim.

I've had Ameriglo I-Dots and Dawson Precision, none of them worked for me - they're not bad sights but they sucked for me.

HD's aren't necessarily a precision sight, they're about fast acquisition - however, I shoot ragged holes with them all day long.

Glock 19 - Original Orange
Glock 34 - Original Orange
Glock 42 - Original Yellow
Glock 43 - Orange XR series
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter if it was center or 6 o'clock hold i'd know point of impact after the first shot.

When you line up the top of the front and rear sights and it impacts many inches lower then POA that is a problem IMO.

I personally think the G43 shoots low and Trijicon should have compensated for that by lowering the front sight.

I regret not shooting it with the factory sights and tossing them in the trash because i'd like to have known the POI they had and measure them for myself.
View Quote
Which of these is the sight picture you're using?

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
It doesn't matter. 0 and 1 will not be 4 inches different at 25 feet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:07:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter. 0 and 1 will not be 4 inches different at 25 feet.
View Quote
maybe not, but it could be 2" and different ammo might be the other 2".

Trijicon sees these sights as close in defensive sights...put the dot on the target at close range and fire.  For me and the G43, Glock OEM sights (they use the 6.1mm rear of the G17L) seem to be PoA/PoI with sight picture 0 at up to 10yds and with sight picture #1 at 15 and 25 yds.  But with HD's I have to use the dot as PoA.  I think Optics Planet has shorter HD fronts
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll look in to that.

I'm no expert but i'm not a new shooter either.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'll look in to that.

I'm no expert but i'm not a new shooter either.
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/IMG_2049_zpsr1opxjsa.jpg~original
View Quote
What's wrong with that? Damn fine shooting if you ask me!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 3 sets of them. Inhale then on my 43 and they work just fine. I also have them on my 34 that I use for 3 gun. They work just fine. I can get hits on 6 inch plates at 50 yards pretty easily.

I shoot 147 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife's 43 has Trijicon HDs. I've tried and cannot shoot the gun well.  A friend has a factory sighted 43, and I don't shoot it well either.  Low left.  

I shoot my 19 and 26 very well, and have more rounds thru Glocks than all other types combined.

I've found I place my trigger finger too far thru the 43's trigger guard (due to the small grip circumference).  If I make a mental note to use the pad of my finger instead of the joint...accuracy improves but still isn't good.

My wife shoots the gun exceptionally well.  She has child size small hands.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Headshot is shooting left.  
Range session on 4-19 is low.
The last is on if you are aiming at the "Q".  

What's the range?
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Headshot is shooting left.  
Range session on 4-19 is low.
The last is on if you are aiming at the "Q".  

What's the range?
View Quote
25,15, 7, & 5 yds.

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I shot some Speer 147gr. Bonded HPs today and did not have any change in impact then the 125gr. GDs or FMJ ammo I shot last time.

At 30 feet you can see the 147s I shot first masked below the bullseye. I was aiming 3 dots lined up front sight covering bullseye. The rest of the shots I aimed the same way with front sight at about the plus 1 mag extension as the 43 lays on the target.

I know it doesn't seem like the end of the world but I'd rather be shooting high then low, I think i'm done with HDs on this gun.

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I shot some Speer 147gr. Bonded HPs today and did not have any change in impact then the 125gr. GDs or FMJ ammo I shot last time.

At 30 feet you can see the 147s I shot first masked below the bullseye. I was aiming 3 dots lined up front sight covering bullseye. The rest of the shots I aimed the same way with front sight at about the plus 1 mag extension as the 43 lays on the target.

I know it doesn't seem like the end of the world but I'd rather be shooting high then low, I think i'm done with HDs on this gun.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/IMG_2456_zpsn3mo2bvs.jpg~original
View Quote
They're self defense sights made for quick acquisition - a 43 isn't a target gun.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They're self defense sights made for quick acquisition - a 43 isn't a target gun.
View Quote
So why can't they shoot 6 o'clock like every other Glock?

Being self defense sights doesn't mean you should be shooting 3 or 4" low
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#31]
What were all those other hits that are properly centered from?

Optics Plant has shorter HD fronts if you want to raise the PoI
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What were all those other hits that are properly centered from?

Optics Plant has shorter HD fronts if you want to raise the PoI
View Quote
Those are me aiming above a few inches by the 43s magazine plate.

Those sights heights don't match the numbers on Trijicon's website.

Without taking it off, my sight measures .207 and Trijicon says it is .215
The shortest Triji has on its website is .200
The shortest O.P. has listed is .185 but Triji doesn't offer a .185 on the website.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/IMG_2456_zpsn3mo2bvs.jpg~original
True statement.  That's plenty good enough.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I ground the front sight down and have the blade height at .185 in this pic.

I need a very sharp very fine right angle file to clean up around the stem that sits down inside the slide then it should end up at .183 or .184 blade height.

IDK if it will be perfect but it will certainly get me closer to what I want.

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Found a 3 sided file in my toolbox so was able to clean it up.

Not a hard project just need patience to grind down all the angles.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Found a 3 sided file in my toolbox so was able to clean it up.

Not a hard project just need patience to grind down all the angles.
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q613/Johnharden810/fullsizeoutput_500_zpsxbpzxlhd.jpeg~original
View Quote
Glad for you.  The first photo indicates the sight blade wasn't seated.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Glad for you.  The first photo indicates the sight blade wasn't seated.
View Quote
^^+1
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, I explained I didn't have the proper file to get in the corners then later in the day I found what I needed and cleaned up the corners
I didn't delete the first post because I felt it was worth addressing.

I shot today and dropping the front sight down has helped, i'm at hits behind the front sight now, i'd still preferred a 6 o'clock hold but can live with this.

I know they are rapid SD sights but I think some missed the point, when I lined up the front and rear sights perfectly straight  (3 dots in a row) I was impacting the target MANY inches below my point of aim.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Have them on several glocks including 42 and 43, they shoot poa/poi.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#40]
While I do not have the HDs on my Glocks, the standard Trijicons are installed, what I have found is anytime I change the sights, my aiming and grouping is not as good as with the OEM sights.  

Same goes for Heinie, Meprolights, Trijicons, never as good as with the polymer OEM sights.

I wish I could find a set of sights that will deliver what I can with the original sights.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
While I do not have the HDs on my Glocks, the standard Trijicons are installed, what I have found is anytime I change the sights, my aiming and grouping is not as good as with the OEM sights.  

Same goes for Heinie, Meprolights, Trijicons, never as good as with the polymer OEM sights.

I wish I could find a set of sights that will deliver what I can with the original sights.  

View Quote
I have 7 Glocks and most have factory Glock 3 dot night siights, some I sent to Glock to have installed others I've done. I also have another popular 3 dot night sight on my 26 but can't recall the name. All are a 6 O'clock hold except this HD set on my 43.

Hitting many inches lower then POA is never a good start so i'm glad I was able to adjust them without having to buy new sights.  

I never liked the poly goal post rear sight Glock has because it seems odd to try and space the dot inside the goal post. My mind pics up 3 dots and puts them in a straight line a lot quicker.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Disregard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:44:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm happy with the Novak's NS's I had installed on my G43.
6 o'clock hold.

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah, I explained I didn't have the proper file to get in the corners then later in the day I found what I needed and cleaned up the corners
I didn't delete the first post because I felt it was worth addressing.

I shot today and dropping the front sight down has helped, i'm at hits behind the front sight now, i'd still preferred a 6 o'clock hold but can live with this.

I know they are rapid SD sights but I think some missed the point, when I lined up the front and rear sights perfectly straight  (3 dots in a row) I was impacting the target MANY inches below my point of aim.
View Quote
Sorry, but doesn't this prove what others have posted about your hold? If the sights are designed to be used by aligning the center dot with the target and you were using a 6 o'clock hold, that pretty simply explains low hits. I saw your other post about it "not mattering" and that it wouldn't be off 4 inches at 25 feet, but that actually isn't far off. Without doing the math, it could easily be close, and its not like you're shooting 1" groups with a 43 anyway.

If filing the sight down got you closer it is because you prefer a 6 o'clock hold. I'm not a huge fan of the HDs but I don't think its fair to suck because you don't like shooting the sights they were designed to be shot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sorry, but doesn't this prove what others have posted about your hold? If the sights are designed to be used by aligning the center dot with the target and you were using a 6 o'clock hold, that pretty simply explains low hits. I saw your other post about it "not mattering" and that it wouldn't be off 4 inches at 25 feet, but that actually isn't far off. Without doing the math, it could easily be close, and its not like you're shooting 1" groups with a 43 anyway.

If filing the sight down got you closer it is because you prefer a 6 o'clock hold. I'm not a huge fan of the HDs but I don't think its fair to suck because you don't like shooting the sights they were designed to be shot.
View Quote
Maybe I explained it poorly but I never said I expected the sights to magically be a 6 o'clock hold, I said i'd like them to be.

I still can't use a 6 O'clock hold, I am using dot on target but I'm not hitting 4" low while using dot on target like I was.

They did suck hitting low and after some ammo and a grinder I got them usable FOR ME
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like you do better with a tighter sight picture. I do too.  

Heinie and Novak make sights with a .125" notch and a .125" front.  Very good for accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#47]
FYI, a 6 o'clock hold is what's pictured in Sight Image #1 below (point of impact for all 3 pictures would be center of cross hairs on targets).  6 o'clock holds are really only used by bullseye shooters shooting at known distances at targets with known bullseye diameters.  I'm guessing when y'all say 6 o'clock hold you really mean #2 below?  #2 and #3 as far as I know don't have common cool sounding names like "6 o'clock hold" to refer to them by; I just refer to #2 as POI at top of front sight post, and #3 as POI behind front sight dot, or something like that.  All non-bullseye, defensive/combat type pistols will come with #2 or #3; I've never seen a modern pistol with fixed sights come with a 6 o'clock hold.  Glocks normally shoot like #2 with factory height sights.

I only bring this up as using incorrect terminology in online discussions like this can cause quite a bit of confusion as people aren't going to interpret your posts the way you think they are

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#48]
That wall of text is making my head hurt

# 2 is what I consider a 6 O'clock hold and what I use on all my other Glocks and do well enough.

I never shot anything using #1 and I don't think I ever seen that before actually.

#2 was hitting WAY low so I switched to #3 and the hits only came up that small difference. I tried some other stuff I mentioned also.

This drawing is what I was getting in the beginning using #3

Now, after grinding the front sight down I get a much better POA to POI result at 20/30 FEET using #3.

Only thing left for me to do is verify my impacts at 15 YARDS and 25 YARDS and I'll easily be able to adjust my aim for those.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That wall of text is making my head hurt

# 2 is what I consider a 6 O'clock hold and what I use on all my other Glocks and do well enough.

I never shot anything using #1 and I don't think I ever seen that before actually.
View Quote
It's less than 5 lines of text; try reading it again, you can do it

My point is that #2 is NOT a 6 o'clock hold so you're using the incorrect term

You've never seen #1 (an actual 6 o'clock hold) before because you probably aren't a bullseye shooter.

Did the factory sights shoot to #2 like you prefer?  If so, try a set of Ameriglo Spartan sights.  They're pretty similar to the Trijicon HDs, orange ring on front sight, no rings around rear tritium, but they're the same height as factory sights and square notch rear vs. U notch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I feel like you have a need for the last word so.......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top