Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2017 12:32:09 PM EDT
I sent in the slide on my G19. 125$ and they had it back to me in 2 weeks. They also swapped in new sights for me that I sent along.

It turned out looking better than I thought it would. Just wanted to give them a shout out.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks sweet.
Did it effect the function any?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Not at all. Only put a few magazines through it to verify so far. A buddy from work had it done a couple years ago as well. No long term reliability issues and it still looks new. And he shoots/conceal carries it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#3]
How does the finish hold up to repeated holster unholstering in a kydex holster?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I need to send mine in. I've been wanting to do it for a few years. I have one of the original FailZero G 17 tall editions

ETA Talo edition. Damn auto correct
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does the finish hold up to repeated holster unholstering in a kydex holster?
View Quote
I've only had it a day, but my buddy at work has had his a few years and the finish still looks new. He CCW's it.

I have one of their bolt carrier groups and that thing still looks new.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I need to send mine in. I've been wanting to do it for a few years. I have one of the original FailZero G 17 tall editions
View Quote
Didn't know they did that, cool!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a G17 Fail Zero Talo from when they first came out.   The finish held up extremely well.   Not only does it look good and offer durability, but the finish cleans up very easily after shooting, and is very smooth.

I never had any issues with jamming, or any tolerance issues.   I used plenty of kydex holsters with it and there wasn't much wear after many years of shooting it and drawing it out of a holster.  

The only wear mine showed over time was where the side rubs the top of the barrel.  It didn't wear through the finish, just left some wear marks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a G17 Fail Zero Talo from when they first came out.   The finish held up extremely well.   Not only does it look good and offer durability, but the finish cleans up very easily after shooting, and is very smooth.

I never had any issues with jamming, or any tolerance issues.   I used plenty of kydex holsters with it and there wasn't much wear after many years of shooting it and drawing it out of a holster.  

The only wear mine showed over time was where the side rubs the top of the barrel.  It didn't wear through the finish, just left some wear marks.
View Quote
This mimics my experience as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I sent Failzero an email to ask a question about sending them one of my Glock slides for their NIB coating. They never replied to my email. Guess they got more business than they can handle; good for them. So, I purchased a G19 slide already NIB'd. It was actually one of the Battle-warn NIB slides. Looks great! 

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I sent Failzero an email to ask a question about sending them one of my Glock slides for their NIB coating. They never replied to my email. Guess they got more business than they can handle; good for them. So, I purchased a G19 slide already NIB'd. It was actually one of the Battle-warn NIB slides. Looks great! 

http://i.imgur.com/DsFNsd0.jpg
View Quote
On their site I printed off a PDF form, filled it out and sent it in, per the instructions on their site. I never spoke to or emailed them directly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

On their site I printed off a PDF form, filled it out and sent it in, per the instructions on their site. I never spoke to or emailed them directly.
View Quote
I'm not trying to criticize Failzero in any way. All I know is they never returned my email. Here is what I emailed them... "Hello, I tried to contact you through your website and kept gettinga “forbidden site” error; so I decided to email you directly. Anyway, I’m interested in having the slide on my Glock 19 coated with your Nickle Boron finish, and was wondering if you all prefer to receive the complete slide assembly and do the disassembly of the slide, or do you prefer to have the owner disassemble the slide and send it to you disassembled? I’m not sure if maybe you all like to reassemble the slide yourselves to make sure everything fits properly after coating."

I did open the order PDF and read the instructions, but still had a few questions. Maybe they just didn't receive the email, I don't know. Still, I was uneasy about sending them my slide if I couldn't contact them via email; yea, I could have called CS, I suppose, but after they didn't return my email, I was not in the mood to call. 

Also, just an FYI, in my research on the NIB, I found another company in Dalton, Ga. that does the NIB, http://secoatech.com/. However, I decided to just purchase the G19 slide already NIB'd.  

FWIW, I paid roughly $90 to have one of my G19 slides Cerakoted, including shipping. So, $125 for the NIB coating (+ shipping) sounds like maybe a better deal, if you like the NIB. The only negative I've noticed with the NIB slide is that it is more slippery feeling when gripping to pull it back to load a round.   
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks nice. Did you have to sent it to the detail stripped or did they do all that for you?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
So it's just a coating on your slide and barrel? Has anyone ever had or shot a Glock enough to really need this?

Not hating, just not seeing the outstanding benefits.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So it's just a coating on your slide and barrel? Has anyone ever had or shot a Glock enough to really need this?

Not hating, just not seeing the outstanding benefits.
View Quote
I don't think Glock makes an OEM stainless steel or Nickel coated slide. The Nickel Boron coating provides a stainless, two-tone look with the benefits of a tougher than normal OEM or Cerakoted slide finish. It's just an additional option for those who want it. Is there a benefit above and beyond the basic OEM Glock nitrided/melonited slide? The biggest benefit of the Nickel Boron coating I see is a tougher finish resulting in much less holster wear on the slide finish over time. Do you really need it? No.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks nice. Did you have to sent it to the detail stripped or did they do all that for you?
View Quote
They detail stripped it and swapped sights for me upon completion.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Slide was 125 with free return shipping. Barrel would have been an extra 75. Mostly for looks and a little easier to clean.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I find the triggers tend to be smoother on the Nib guns.

ETA- per IG, they are having a 17% off sale
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#18]
i have the nib coating on a new gen 4 I picked up from buds i think,  it was not factory,  I guess Glock sends them out to have someone do them,  I like the coating,  when I clean it I just wipe it down with a cloth,  I had heard problems with jams and other problems in early G,  but mine has run trouble free.  I did a couple pistol courses with it and not one problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't think Glock makes an OEM stainless steel or Nickel coated slide. The Nickel Boron coating provides a stainless, two-tone look with the benefits of a tougher than normal OEM or Cerakoted slide finish. It's just an additional option for those who want it. Is there a benefit above and beyond the basic OEM Glock nitrided/melonited slide? The biggest benefit of the Nickel Boron coating I see is a tougher finish resulting in much less holster wear on the slide finish over time. Do you really need it? No.  
View Quote
Got ya. Was curious if I was missing something. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top