Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2017 11:40:51 AM EDT
Should i get a Vickers 19 gen3 rtf2 or a gen 4 19?

I currently have a vickers g17 and I really like the rtf2 frame. Is there any reason to get the gen 4 over the gen 3?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a bit of a glock newb, but I greatly prefer the gen 4 features over previous gen's, including the bigger mag release and interchangeable back straps.

ymmv
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the larger mag release on the Gen 4
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The RTF2 can be rough on your skin if you plan to CC it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
My order of Glock preference

RTF2 > Gen4 > Gen3

The RTF2 frame feels the same size as the Gen4 to me
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:22:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The RTF2 frame feels the same size as the Gen4 to me
View Quote
My thoughts as well; if there is a difference, it ain't much...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the RTF2, you can buy the Gen4's later.  The RTF2 might be harder to find.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I like gen 3 better than 4.   RTF2 for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
RTF all the way!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#9]
RTF2 is all well and bad ass but if you shoot it a lot the grip texture wears down and loses the aggressive texture.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thread needs more pics

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree!

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]
RTF, I have a solid collection of Glocks, and I've never seen one in the flesh.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
RTF would be my pick
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends how you feel about texture.  RTF>gen4>gen3.  I like texture so RTF, and yes it rubs you with CC, but I'm OK with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depends how you feel about texture.  RTF>gen4>gen3.  I like texture so RTF, and yes it rubs you with CC, but I'm OK with it.
View Quote
My EDC is a Vickers FDE Glock 19 that I carry IWB.  If you wear an undershirt between the gun and you it isn't a problem at all. I have carried an RTF2 Glock 19 since 2009 and haven't had any problems really. To me the newer Vickers RTF2 guns do not feel as aggressive as the original RTF2's. That original texture is serious.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
RTF2 is all well and bad ass but if you shoot it a lot the grip texture wears down and loses the aggressive texture.
View Quote
That is very true.  I shot and did a lot of dry practice an RTF2 17 for a year (about 25K rounds) and it was pretty much smooth on the backstrap and in the finger grooves.

The best thing about the RTF2 is that it's super easy to prep for a stipple. Just sand it down with 100 grit and go to work.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Every glock gets finger grooves removed and stippled. Gen 4 for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#20]
love the RTF2 frame.. that gets my vote.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nice!!
Pic thread!!
http://a65.tinypic.com/2nrli02.jpg
View Quote
Sorry to go OT, nice Kershaw - check out the "Pops Custom Clips". Makes them ride deep in the pocket!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is very true.  I shot and did a lot of dry practice an RTF2 17 for a year (about 25K rounds) and it was pretty much smooth on the backstrap and in the finger grooves.

The best thing about the RTF2 is that it's super easy to prep for a stipple. Just sand it down with 100 grit and go to work.
View Quote
One of the guys I shoot with got one of the Vickers RTF2 G17 pistols it came all sticky and aggressive but now the pistol is getting to the point where the RTF is barely noticeable.  Now the pistol could be carried with out worrying about it eating up the skin.  He is probably going to trade it in for a Gen4 because the texture is nearly gone so he says.  I like the RTF2 but as much as I shoot the Gen4 texture last way longer and is aggressive enough for it to have good traction and not eat me up carrying.  I still want to find a G17 RTF2 fish gill just cause it is so one off from the rest of Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

One of the guys I shoot with got one of the Vickers RTF2 G17 pistols it came all sticky and aggressive but now the pistol is getting to the point where the RTF is barely noticeable.  Now the pistol could be carried with out worrying about it eating up the skin.  He is probably going to trade it in for a Gen4 because the texture is nearly gone so he says.  I like the RTF2 but as much as I shoot the Gen4 texture last way longer and is aggressive enough for it to have good traction and not eat me up carrying.  I still want to find a G17 RTF2 fish gill just cause it is so one off from the rest of Glocks.
View Quote
RTF without gills is weak.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
RTF without gills is weak.
View Quote
Gross.  

Fish gills serrations look like what people thought would be futuristic in the 1960s.  

I was actually kind of surprised they didn't light up neon green each time you fired the pistol, or maybe it's that you need to wait for them to all light up and charge before shooting a double whammy... I forget the tech specs on these things.  

Judge dredd - double whammy

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I suspect there is a reason they made RTF3.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Prob due to mold maintenance and repair for the rtf2. I can see the fine detail of the rtf2 requiring a shorter maintenance schedule than the rtf3
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
The RTF2 was marketed as an option for law enforcement. A number of agencies went to the RTF2 frame and quickly dropped it when it was tearing up uniforms.  It fell out of favor very quickly.  A short while after they first came out RTF2's were being sold for $399 and they were not selling well.  Once glock stopped making them demand when through the roof.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The RTF2 was marketed as an option for law enforcement. A number of agencies went to the RTF2 frame and quickly dropped it when it was tearing up uniforms.  It fell out of favor very quickly.  A short while after they first came out RTF2's were being sold for $399 and they were not selling well.  Once glock stopped making them demand when through the roof.  
View Quote
Similar to the OD frames. People want what they can't have.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not to mention how fast the texture wears down.  I still want a fish gill 17 but as much as I would shoot it the texture would be gone very quickly.  Even my G17/19.4 the texture has tamed somewhat since I first bought them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#30]
GET BOTH
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not to mention how fast the texture wears down.  I still want a fish gill 17 but as much as I would shoot it the texture would be gone very quickly.  Even my G17/19.4 the texture has tamed somewhat since I first bought them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how many rounds are you talking?

i know you shoot a lot

edit: rounds for the frame to wear down
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
 how many rounds are you talking?

i know you shoot a lot

edit: rounds for the frame to wear down
View Quote
It is a gradual progression.  I noticed on my friends he got his awhile back and it feels more like a lightly stippled Glock instead of a porcupine stiff velcro feel like it came from the factory.  I am not sure you can put a quantifiable number as it may vary for each user.  I have moderately leathery hands but someone like my fiance who has delicate silky hands will wear on it differently.  I do know my friend does not have trouble carrying the pistol any longer since the texturing has tamed down some.  He has I would estimate somewhere in the realm of 4-5K on the pistol and we shoot competitions with our G17s and shoot almost every weekend at the very least two weekends a month with each outing being 200-500 rounds.  His is one of the Vickers RTFs and has had it I want to say about 2 years give it take 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Never hurts to have more RTF.  Not that I'm biased or anything 

My 3 G17's

And my newest find, a Blue Label G22

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#34]
RTF2

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Felt like whoring this out!  

RTF2 G19C
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:42:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It is a gradual progression.  I noticed on my friends he got his awhile back and it feels more like a lightly stippled Glock instead of a porcupine stiff velcro feel like it came from the factory.  I am not sure you can put a quantifiable number as it may vary for each user.  I have moderately leathery hands but someone like my fiance who has delicate silky hands will wear on it differently.  I do know my friend does not have trouble carrying the pistol any longer since the texturing has tamed down some.  He has I would estimate somewhere in the realm of 4-5K on the pistol and we shoot competitions with our G17s and shoot almost every weekend at the very least two weekends a month with each outing being 200-500 rounds.  His is one of the Vickers RTFs and has had it I want to say about 2 years give it take 6 months.
View Quote
cool, thanks for the reply!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top