Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2017 11:01:24 PM EDT
Help guys! heres the scoop.

Gen 4 G19 with a glock minus connecter and ameriglo i dot pro sights. I have put about 2k through the gun since buying it about 4 months ago

I am consistently shooting about an inch to the left. I have confirmed it IS NOT the gun. From a rest its dead on, when others have shot it its dead on (for the most part). I for can shoot it dead on only about 20% of the time. I can stack rounds with it, just to the left 

Now before you guys say i need to practice more and learn fundamentals and what not let me say that I'm not a total noob and i do practice a lot. I have no problems shooting my other guns, i shoot a lot of 9mm, about 3-400 a week between various handguns and at least 50 rounds a week through the 19, since its my carry gun.

At this point i think i am struggling with the 2 dot sight system. All my other pistols have 3 dot set ups. 

Any input is appreciated. Going to give it another 500 rounds at least before i swap out sights but not expecting it to get any better. Hell maybe this gun is just one that isn't a "shooter". I have only had 1 experience with a gun that just didn't shoot good for me no matter what i did and that was an XDM.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Too much or too little trigger finger?  I'd start there. Ymmv
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You have too much or too little finger on the trigger.  Try to mindfully while using only the pad of your trigger finger pull straight back. Many people myself included pull back on the trigger and roll my finger toward the joint. End result is I disturb my front sight and thus sight picture
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
That's where I started looking when the problem occurred months ago. 

The g19 is the only gun I have issues with.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
You're right handed aren't you? It's your trigger finger. Slow press, don't jerk the trigger. Dry fire at home and get used to not moving the gun at all. It's all about sights and trigger for pistol shooting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The answer is always dry firing. You can't see the sights move as you squeeze when firing live ammo. Just dry fire it a few dozen times, correcting your grip and finger position until the sights do not move when it clicks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure your support hand is also very firmly squeezing (front to back AND side to side) your strong hand.  That fixed a lot of shooting issues for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

At this point i think i am struggling with the 2 dot sight system. All my other pistols have 3 dot set ups. 
View Quote

Line up the sights not the dots.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#8]
It's fairly normal.  All of my rear sights are drifted to the right.  Most of my associates that shoot a lot are the same way.  Larry Vickers and others have mentioned this too.  Move you rear right so that the right portion touches the right edge of the dovetail.  This is only with Glock pistols.  1911's and M&P's are POA/POI.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]
It's the trigger.

In overtravel, the pistol points left.

Tighten your grip and use far more trigger finger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#10]
1" left at what distance?

If at 25yds, just drift the rear sight 1/32" (maybe less) to the right and you're done
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:55:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Simple.  

When you press the trigger you want it to go straight to the rear.  With the angle of the grip and trigger, what you perceive as a straight to the rear pull is actually a slight push left.

Pull the trigger rear and to the right.  When you observe what your finger is doing, you will usually discover that a rear right pull is actually straight back.  Add a touch more finger to the trigger as well.  

Personally I also prefer sight sets with a tighter rear sight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I am having the same problem with a Glock 19 gen 3 build I just finished. I would not consider myself an experienced shooter with a pistol. (using Tru-glo FO sights)
2 or 3" to the left at 10 yards shooting unsupported. Dead on supported.
So I moved the rear sight a bit to the right (about a 1/32"). Made no difference. Figured I did not move it enough so I went even more (another 1/16") and I'm still shooting left unsupported, dead on supported.
Did some dry firing tonight after I read this thread and there is no indication of movement when I pull the trigger. I must be flinching slightly when firing live ammo.
It's probably me not the gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:38:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:58:47 AM EDT
[#14]
OP, I had the same problem you are having with your Glock. Once while shooting a course I had an instructor suggest adding some finger to the trigger. I did and it was like a light bulb turning on. Suddenly I wasn't hitting left. This has been my method for shooting not only lighter guns like the Glock 19 but guns like my Glock 43 and my ultra light S&W 342Ti which weighs 11oz.

Check this video out, Pat McNamara explains this method of using more trigger fingerl. I don't know if it will help you or not but it doesn't hurt to try it and it's free.

Pat McNamara Pro-Tip: Finger on your Trigger
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:00:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#16]
At the end of the day, don't be afraid to drift your rear sight to the right.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing that doesn't makes sense, when I'm reading this OP is you say you are stacking rounds.  But then complain about the sight picture and how it might not be a shooter.  If it's stacking rounds, but an 1" to the left, I don't really see a problem with precision.  Sure, you just need to figure out the accuracy piece as far as moving it to the right.  Either with technique or drifting the sights.  

I have (2) M9's and one of them has the sight drifted to the right to hit center of the target and the other one didn't need anything done to the sights to hit center.  Kind of makes you think, hmmmm....  it might not be me.  Why would I shoot it to the left with just 1 of them and not the other?  My G19 shot to the left pretty consistently.  My G26 doesn't  I don't get it.  (Although I did have a theory that it might have something to do with when I shoot under a roof and when I don't.  But that doesn't always hold true because I would shoot the G19 left when not under a roof.  At least I think I did....)

I personally like the stock Glock sights.  I can't explain why.  I think they work good.  I also like the lollypop on an M9.  I actually don't usually have a problem with many sights in general.  The 442's sights are pretty small.  But even with middle aged eyes, they don't really seem bad to me.  I do know that any front sight with a white dot is easier to see in low light for me.  

If it was me, I'd drift it a bit to the right and call it a day.  If your technique ever changes and alleviate the issue and you end up shooting right, you can always move it back.  But you might as well have it hit where it's supposed to in the meantime.  Especially because it may be the gun.  Some Glock guys will tell you there is no way it's the guns fault.  And maybe it's not all the time.  But you can't tell me they all come off the line without some im-"perfection".
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, I had the same problem you are having with your Glock. Once while shooting a course I had an instructor suggest adding some finger to the trigger. I did and it was like a light bulb turning on. Suddenly I wasn't hitting left. This has been my method for shooting not only lighter guns like the Glock 19 but guns like my Glock 43 and my ultra light S&W 342Ti which weighs 11oz.

Check this video out, Pat McNamara explains this method of using more trigger fingerl. I don't know if it will help you or not but it doesn't hurt to try it and it's free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8JX2hZR_6g
View Quote
I watched this video a long time ago, it 110% worked for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Since its your gun, I would drift the sight. You will be dead on with out having to practice more.  

I have a USP with adjustable sights, I tend to shoot low, I adjusted the sight so that I'm dead on. People shoot my gun high, but I'm dead on and that's all I care. If they tell me my gun shoots funny, I shoot a plate at 100 yards, and tell them, nope, seems fine to me....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Most shooting is done @10 yards.

Ill go put some more rounds through it and probably just move the sight.

dont really want to change finger placement as a permanent solution since I don't have issues with my other platforms.

i also used calibers to measure all my sight posts and rear notches and the ameriglos have a lot more room for error, which could also be a sight alignment problem on my part, but since they group good, just to the left I don't think that's the problem.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's fairly normal.  All of my rear sights are drifted to the right.  Most of my associates that shoot a lot are the same way.  Larry Vickers and others have mentioned this too.  Move you rear right so that the right portion touches the right edge of the dovetail.  This is only with Glock pistols.  1911's and M&P's are POA/POI.
View Quote
This is the best advice. My race 34 I'm 2 inches left at 10 yds stacking rounds. I experimented less trigger finger same stuff tried using as much trigger finger as possible same stuff. Tried pushing my front sight on my Dawson sight to the right edge of the dove tail until I get a rear sight pusher and it fixed it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Every time I pick up my neighbors Glocks and shoot them I hit right because he drifted his sight to compensate for him shooting left.  Then if he shoots one of mine he shoots left.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I have 500 rounds and a sight pusher on hand.

this weekend I'll have it shooting right one way or another
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#24]
While I agree in some cases this may be shooter trigger control or sight alignment induced, at the same time I can't understand why people seem so resistant to adjusting pistol sights. If you picked up a rifle that shot 6 inches left at 100 yards consistently pretty much everyone here would adjust the windage on the sight or scope without a second thought. Keep in mind pistols in most cases are NOT zeroed or test fired for accuracy at the factory and a machine or assemblyman in driving sights into dovetails and perhaps the tool loses adjustment or the assembler has a hangover and it might not be perfect. Tolerance stacking can also easily result in a pistol not shooting point of aim.
Despite shooting them right handed ( and using very little trigger finger - I am an old school bullseye shooter and this works for me) most of my glocks are adjusted a hair left for dead center. Then again almost all my pistols have had a tap or two to bring the pistol to where I want it. It pretty much comes down to- small consistent group - adjust gun large inconsistent group adjust shooter
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
This helped me greatly. Went from always shooting left to dead on almost instantly. Watch some videos from Shrek as well. He breaks down how stance and form can cause problems.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I shot left with my G43 until I added a connector without a bump (Ghost Edge Pro).  It seems that for me, it was anticipation due to a tinier, snappier gun than what I'm used to.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Shot 100 rounds. Tried a few different grip styles and also adding and removing trigger finger. No changes still shooting an inch left. 

Pushed the sight over and shot another 100, all dead on, ragged holes in the bullseye. 

Problem solved.

also shot my Cz sp01 and wonder why I even bother with glocks anymore lol.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#28]
i have the same problem with all of my g19s if i use too little trigger finger.

far left shots all day, more trigger finger, start getting bullseye shots.

for my p320s i have to use less trigger finger to get on target.

shit be weird yo.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I've always shot my Glocks a little low and left.  If I apply perfect fundamentals, I can shoot dead on, but I can't during any "practical" shooting.  I always figured it was a Glock trigger thing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Try throwing a laser on it and dry firing a bunch at close range so you can see the laser move . I did that after years shooting to the left with glocks and it helped a lot to pin point what exactly i was doing when the laser started moving off the target.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I shot left when I first got mine. Upon dry fire I could visibly see my self pushing the front of the gun left. Range officer where I shoot also noticed. I did two things. 1) which I think helped the most, I put more pressure to the right with my off hand thumb. 2) As I do that I watch the front sight a bit harder to make sure I don't pull it to the left. Didn't even take a full magazine to get me dead on. I am for sure no kind of instructor or even close. That's just what worked for me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had the same problem, only with the Glock. I can shoot the gun well and to the sites but it is a lot more work than with other guns. I'm positive a shorter and better trigger would help. Because of the way Glock are made I have to reach forward to get to the trigger. It's just difficult for me to get a grip on it  properly to shoot it well. Using the "thumbs forward grip" my left thumb tends to prevent the gun from pushing left as i try to press the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#34]
nothing new here.

two thoughts

1-there is nothing wrong with adjusting your rear sight.

2-proper grip has everything to do with point of impact. Let a very experienced shooter try your gun and compare targets. If you are confident and groups are consistent. See point #1
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#35]
An inch to the left at 25 yd still impairs a bad guy, or scores a 10 on the targets I shoot at, if basic alignment, shooting position & point of impact is otherwise sound.  Given that, an inch to the left still drops a squirrel too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Too much or too little trigger finger?  I'd start there. Ymmv
View Quote

I've read this before, but I have never experienced any change in POI when I've tried it myself.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've read this before, but I have never experienced any change in POI when I've tried it myself.
View Quote
I have noticed it has some effect on some weapons but not for the g19, for me anyway.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Imo it's the long trigger pull. Finger goes from pushing to pulling. Changing how much finger on the trigger can help. 
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I was about to post the same thread again. On my RMRed G17, I do a lot of dryfire practice. I don't see the gun being pulled left very often, but my groups are still four inches left at 25 yards. The cause appears to be too much strong hand grip pressure and not enough weak hand grip pressure. A limp grip with my strong hand and a death grip with my weak hand appears to center the groups, but leads to poor recoil control. My weak hand is too weak to maintain that kind of grip. It is definitely me and not the pistol, as the groups shift right as expected from the bench. Very frustrating.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's the trigger.

In overtravel, the pistol points left.

Tighten your grip and use far more trigger finger.
View Quote
Hasn't the bullet already left by the time the shooter is bottoming out the trigger 
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is a horrible idea. Drifting the sight to the right is the same as using Kentucky windage. He is saying he is hitting point of aim 20% of the time. If he drifts the sights 20% of his hits will be to the right. Get a SIRT pistol and work on dry fire.

People also make the mistake in assuming that lots of rounds a week show that it got to be something other than trigger. If you shoot 300 to 400 rounds a week and 250 to 350 of the rounds are a bad trigger press, all you are doing is re-enforcing bad habits and that's that many more bad rep's you will have to in-do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Try picking up one of the LaserLyte setups. I have the trainer pistol cartridge. I then ordered a 3 pack of orange mag floor plates to designate those mags as dry fire training mags. I use them for snap apps to induce jams, etc... But I only use those mags with the LaserLyte system. I put the targets on my wall and all over the house. Taught my kids how to clear rooms using this. As mentioned above, dry fire practice is crucial to developing good habits.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Try picking up one of the LaserLyte setups. I have the trainer pistol cartridge. I then ordered a 3 pack of orange mag floor plates to designate those mags as dry fire training mags. I use them for snap apps to induce jams, etc... But I only use those mags with the LaserLyte system. I put the targets on my wall and all over the house. Taught my kids how to clear rooms using this. As mentioned above, dry fire practice is crucial to developing good habits.
View Quote
Good idea. Before you spend the money on a laser gun, make yourself do at least 50 GOOD dryfire shots each day for a couple weeks.

Also, don't be afraid to pay somebody to watch you. $30-100 for a basic class or an hour of instruction can go a long way. I didn't really start shooting pistols decently until somebody corrected my grip during a class.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
This! A thousand times this.

I used to shoot to the left, badly, with Glocks (and some other guns but mostly Glocks). I watched Pat's videos and, as echoed by Pat and others - light bulb moment. What works on 1911s does not necessarily work on Glocks. Lots of dryfire, lots of trigger finger, and the next range trip I was tearing large holes COM, right where my sights were indicating. No more shooting to the left, unless I forget my fundamentals/get lazy/get tired.

Sadly it also means that when I break out the 1911s I need to unlearn that
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Great tip.  The Glock 19 does not have the same backstrap profile as the Glock 26. The Glock 26 has perfect trigger position for using the pad of the trigger finger. However for my hand the trigger on the G19 is close enough that if I use the pad of my finger when at the breakpoint my finger tends to twist the G19 down and to the left (I am right handed). So I started to shoot like a S&W j frame and noticed that at the break point trigger movement was directed on axis.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Try mixing in some dummy rounds with your live rounds, at random  (best to have a friend load them) so you don't know where they are. You will most likely see exactly why you are shooting left. Helped me anyways. Focus on pulling a glock trigger straight back to your chest and don't try to anticipate the gun going off. most importantly for Glocks...shoot from the reset not the entire take up!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is a horrible idea. Drifting the sight to the right is the same as using Kentucky windage. He is saying he is hitting point of aim 20% of the time. If he drifts the sights 20% of his hits will be to the right. Get a SIRT pistol and work on dry fire.

People also make the mistake in assuming that lots of rounds a week show that it got to be something other than trigger. If you shoot 300 to 400 rounds a week and 250 to 350 of the rounds are a bad trigger press, all you are doing is re-enforcing bad habits and that's that many more bad rep's you will have to in-do.
View Quote
That makes no sense.  Is zeroing the sights on a rifle the same as using Kentucky windage?  Of course not; and it's not the same with a handgun either.  Plus, the OP has already stated that adjusting the rear sight corrected the issue
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Kyle Defoor drifts his sights right.  It's designed for it, to zero the gun to YOU. Drifted mine a fuzz as well.
Lots of dry fire as well.
What really worked for me on my 19 was to keep my finger flat from the second knuckle in. Actually picked that one up from a Haley vidio.  So I started doing that and found its works perfect with a small wrinkle.

For me, I wound up pressing the right side of the trigger and keeping my finger flat to break a shot dry fire without any movement whatsoever of the sights. If I press the middle of the trigger face, the sights move a bit.

Very individual thing as we all obviously have different hands..YMMV.

VENTI 100 SHOT WAKE UP DRILL
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#49]
I have purchased a G17 gen 4 and a G19 gen 4. Both shot left 2 inches or so at 10-15yds. I put he medium back strap on and got it down to about an inch....
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have purchased a G17 gen 4 and a G19 gen 4. Both shot left 2 inches or so at 10-15yds. I put he medium back strap on and got it down to about an inch....
View Quote
Work more of your booger hook on the trigger.  I use the crease in my finger between the first and second pad.

What sights do you use.  I found the wider stock front sight makes me shoot all over the place I prefer a thinner taller front sight.  It helps me be more precise and allows me to see when my sights are not aligned as well. with it having a small gap on each side.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top