Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 11:00:46 AM EDT
I took my new G19 to the range for the first time and with five different magazines from two manufacturers (Glock and ETS) the slide didn't lock back reliably after the last shot. I was using 115gr Blazer Brass ammo, fwiw, and had the large grip strap installed.

Those 22 round ETS magazines functioned flawlessly except for the last shot locking, but because the same thing happened with factory mags I'll blame the gun and keep buying ETS magazines.

My only "modification" to the pistol is a factory Glock extended slide release. I've done those before without issue.

Will more breaking in fix the issue or perhaps an extra detailed cleaning in a specific area? This isn't my first Glock but this is the first one to have given me ANY kind of issue at all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Put the original slide release in and try again.  As that's the part that doesn't seem to be doing it's job, that should be your first step in troubleshooting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Does it lock back when you insert an empty mag and manually pull the slide back without manipulating the slide release?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
You married a woman who needs no modifications and you changed her. Go back to the "factory settings" and you'll be fine. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it lock back when you insert an empty mag and manually pull the slide back without manipulating the slide release?
View Quote

Yes, when done by hand it locks back on an empty mag every time, with every magazine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Are your thumbs hitting slide lock while you are shooting? What about when others shoot it? Need to start isolating variables.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#6]
made me think the lock spring not seated correctly, but, I don't think so.

It it was incorrectly seated, I don't think it would lock back at all....

I agree with others, change back to the the factory part and see if you have issues.

I never change those parts on any of my G19's.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:09:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had issues with an extended slide release on a 19.  Like everyone else said swap it out and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
made me think the lock spring not seated correctly, but, I don't think so.

It it was incorrectly seated, I don't think it would lock back at all....

I agree with others, change back to the the factory part and see if you have issues.

I never change those parts on any of my G19's.
View Quote

I took another look and the spring was angled inboard instead of plastered up against the side of the frame. I pushed it over and it's staying put, so now a trip to the range next weekend is in order.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The KEY to this story is the slide locks back on empty manually but not when running weak 115 grain ammo this is NOT a gun or magazine problem, and the extended stop is not at issue either. When shooting the slide comes back far enough to function but the ammo on the last shot is not strong enough to continue the hair amount further needed for the stop to lock in the slide. Shoot it some more and it will break in eventually and also try some high performance ammo- I suspect you will find it lock on empty just fine with hotter ammo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Is your grip/thumb interfering with the slide stop and preventing it from engaging?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
1. Leave slide locked back for a week
2. Use normal/full power ammo
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't use an extended slide release because of my grip. Fire a few rounds and see where your thumb is. You might be pressing the release.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are your thumbs hitting slide lock while you are shooting? What about when others shoot it? Need to start isolating variables.
View Quote

My first thought.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If it's an OEM extended slide release and installed properly and locks back with empty mag when manually cycling it shoud be fine when using good ammo.

Is this a brand new Gen 4? If so, that dual recoil spring is going to require some hotter ammo to break it in. This could be the reason why you not getting lock back on empty mag.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Sorry but stupid advice

The slide stop could be an issue if installed incorrectly or damaged. The slide stop spring could have been damaged when inserting the top pin(locking block pin). The pin should be inserted from the right side and removed first and reinstalled first.

Or it's your thumbs riding slide stop. I use the Tango Down Vickers slide stop and have had no issues. If the slide stop spring was damaged then during shooting with loaded magazines the slide would lock back on not an empty gun. I know this because it happened to me. Your gun is not locking back on empty mag so it's probably operator error.  

It's hard to really see what's happening over a forum but let us know what you find out. I would first shoot with factory mags so if there is a bigger issue Glock won't tell you it's your non Glock mags.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The KEY to this story is the slide locks back on empty manually but not when running weak 115 grain ammo this is NOT a gun or magazine problem, and the extended stop is not at issue either. When shooting the slide comes back far enough to function but the ammo on the last shot is not strong enough to continue the hair amount further needed for the stop to lock in the slide. Shoot it some more and it will break in eventually and also try some high performance ammo- I suspect you will find it lock on empty just fine with hotter ammo.
View Quote

A visual inspection with the slide off shows very good interaction between the mag follower and slide stop. Blazer Brass not having enough oomph to push the slide back that last half millimeter seems a likely culprit. I ordered some 124gr +p HSTs today so we'll see if the problem continues.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sorry but stupid advice
View Quote
Not at all. Glock increased the spring strength of the 9mm guns a while back which resulted in this kind of issue with weaker ammo. Locking the slide back can help break the spring in. This also pops up on the G42 which is pretty stoutly sprung
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of Blazer Brass through various Gen 4s without issue. In fact, I've not had a Gen 4 short stroke on anything.

I'm going with your thumb resting on the lever.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I took another look and the spring was angled inboard instead of plastered up against the side of the frame. I pushed it over and it's staying put, so now a trip to the range next weekend is in order.
View Quote

Yep, when you install the spring, you have to make sure it's seated against the frame. It's easy 'not' to do.
And it will cause this type problem.

I had same problem and did not seat one of my gen 2's that I bought
from AIM a few years back. I got two of them, and dis-assembled to clean them up.
One would not cycle correctly and lock at different times during shooting.
The lock spring was the issue. Come to think of it, made it hard to get
the pin back in as well.

I think it's (lock spring) either not seated correctly or, it's your thumb. But, if it is your thumb, seems like
it would be same, and seeing hiccups at different times rather than just the last round. So, it goes
back to spring with my rationale of trouble shooting.

Was the pin hard to get back in?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep, when you install the spring, you have to make sure it's seated against the frame. It's easy 'not' to do.
And it will cause this type problem.

I had same problem and did not seat one of my gen 2's that I bought
from AIM a few years back. I got two of them, and dis-assembled to clean them up.
One would not cycle correctly and lock at different times during shooting.
The lock spring was the issue. Come to think of it, made it hard to get
the pin back in as well.

I think it's (lock spring) either not seated correctly or, it's your thumb. But, if it is your thumb, seems like
it would be same, and seeing hiccups at different times rather than just the last round.
So, it goes
back to spring with my rationale of trouble shooting.

Was the pin hard to get back in?
View Quote

Not really - if his thumb is just slightly contacting the lever, it would prevent the follower from pushing the lever up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of Blazer Brass through various Gen 4s without issue. In fact, I've not had a Gen 4 short stroke on anything.

I'm going with your thumb resting on the lever.
View Quote

Nope. My right hand thumb goes into the pocket/thumb rest, and my left hand thumb gets nowhere near it. Any thumb clumsiness would be more apt to drop the magazine as the release is completely covered by my thumb as I shoot. I have gigantic hands.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Is your slide stop installed correctly.  The spring has to be install properly or you will have issues.  Reference pic below.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is your slide stop installed correctly.  The spring has to be install properly or you will have issues.  Reference pic below.
<a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0457.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0457.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yup, I caught that last night. The tip of the spring was pushed in toward the middle instead of up against the frame. I pushed it over and we'll see what happens next range trip.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yup, I caught that last night. The tip of the spring was pushed in toward the middle instead of up against the frame. I pushed it over and we'll see what happens next range trip.
View Quote

A very common issue is the spring is above the pin as well instead of below.  I have made that mistake before myself it will cause the slide to lock back with ammo in the mag.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Use the OEM spring with your aftermarket release.  Often the aftermarket springs are too weak.  I have also had one that the hole was too small.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Use the OEM spring with your aftermarket release.  Often the aftermarket springs are too weak.  I have also had one that the hole was too small.
View Quote

The extended slide release was made by Glock, but installed after I bouht the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Have you been back to the range yet?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Have you been back to the range yet?
View Quote

No. I'm trying to date a girl.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#29]
..puts new slide release on gun.
Slide fails to lock on empty...

Wonder what it could be....that's a real doozy....
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No. I'm trying to date a girl.
View Quote

You need to get your priorities straight.  Take her to the range with you!
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't use an extended slide release because of my grip. Fire a few rounds and see where your thumb is. You might be pressing the release.
View Quote
Don't know if this is your problem OP, but this was mine. Carried over a super high-thumbs forward grip and put my support thumb right on top of the release and wouldn't hold the slide back. I have to hook my support pinky under my other pinky (instead of on top of it) to keep my thumb lower and away from the release. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top