Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2017 5:02:38 AM EDT
Recently a guy on one of the forums here suggested that a top load 357Sig reload can blow up a Glock if the crimp is applied too strong. All he offered for the comment was "Ask me how I know this." While I do know that the 357Sig is loaded to higher SAAMI pressures then many other of the usual auto pistol rounds, I have NEVER heard of ANY cartridge (rifle included) blowing up a pistol solely due to over crimping the case. If a "blow-up" truly happened, I would presume the cause was more likely due to his reload going over the red line of the SAAMI limit to begin with.... and much less to do with an excess crimp on a round reloaded within SAAMI limits.

During 40 years, I personally have applied stout roll crimps onto all kinds of hot loaded handgun ammo including 44 mag and 10mm, and I find it hard to believe that a 357Sig is the exception. Anybody else heard of this with the 357Sig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxtN0xxzfsw
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#1]
He could have been shooting lead in a Glock barrel, overcharged load or incorrect powder in a Glock barrel without full chamber support, or just overcharged the load.  I would think the crimp would be a good thing to prevent heavy setback.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#2]
It is difficult to get a good crimp on .357 sig.  If you use RN instead of RNFP, it is nearly impossible.  Round setback occurs.  Boom.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
<strong>Quoted:</strong>
He could have been shooting lead in a Glock barrel, <snip>
View Quote
Good thing I got muh shit-proof knee boots on.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.... heard from about 10 other guys on other websights too who also agreed a hard crimp alone ain't going to blow up your gun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
This sounds like garbage. I'd think that if the force of the powder going off isn't strong enough to push the round out of the casing then it doesn't have enough ass behind it to blow up a properly supported chamber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top