Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2017 10:17:36 PM EDT
Are these mostly for export?

Got a line on a NOS US made 17.3 I am going to pick up in the morning and was wondering about it.

Based on the serial it looks to be a 2013 gun with the good ole black finish.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
They are mostly for export but do find their way into circulation here. A lot of the Talo exclusive Glocks floating around with the orange front sight are USA guns.

I prefer the USA Glocks only because.. well, they are made here? Made on the same machines of legendary reliability but by American workers on American soil. How can you beat that?

Funny thing is at my local shop (high volume Glock dealer for law enforcement, honors GSSF coupons, etc.) they have had LEOs REFUSE G19/G17's being duty issued BECAUSE they were marked USA instead of AUSTRIA.

Cool thing about the USA guns is they also have the Georgia proof mark on the barrel and slide.

I say FO.. and FO hard. If not.. tell me where I can pick up said gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The old finish is a premium no matter where it is made.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Funny thing is at my local shop (high volume Glock dealer for law enforcement, honors GSSF coupons, etc.) they have had LEOs REFUSE G19/G17's being duty issued BECAUSE they were marked USA instead of AUSTRIA.
View Quote

Probably has something to do with the Agencies "approved" list of duty/off duty weapons. I'm sure some cop somewhere would get into a shooting and the defense Atty would argue that his client was shot with an "unauthorized" weapon.

I know they had to change our directive for authorized duty weapons when they got in a shipment of Gen 4's instead of Gen 3's and needed the guns right then and there and couldn't get them exchanged.

ETA: now that I'm thinking about it... I do think it's worded in our directive as "Austrian made Glock models... etc..." or something to that effect. I would have to double check though...
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#4]
USA made solves 922r issues when dropping into a carbine chassis.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Probably has something to do with the Agencies "approved" list of duty/off duty weapons. I'm sure some cop somewhere would get into a shooting and the defense Atty would argue that his client was shot with an "unauthorized" weapon.

I know they had to change our directive for authorized duty weapons when they got in a shipment of Gen 4's instead of Gen 3's and needed the guns right then and there and couldn't get them exchanged

ETA: now that I'm thinking about it... I do think it's worded in our directive as "Austrian made Glock models... etc..." or something to that effect. I would have to double check though...
View Quote

Always seemed silly to me...  my Agency doesn't outline gens, manufacturers, or origin thankfully.  As long as it's of an approved caliber, unaltered, and the firearms group approved it.   GTG
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a pair of gen 4 19's that were made in USA. Like the logo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]

This is the G17 referred to by OP, now my G17.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I recycled your pictures because mine came out terrible. Is that mildew growing over the serial numbers?

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't notice until last night that this G17 has a smooth, versus a grooved, trigger. I'm assuming that it has to do with not having to qualify for 'import points' or something.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn't notice until last night that this G17 has a smooth, versus a grooved, trigger. I'm assuming that it has to do with not having to qualify for 'import points' or something.
View Quote

@Ironhandjohn

No all the G17's come with smooth triggers the G19's on the other hand have a serrated trigger to help qualify them for imports. The G17's have enough points that the triggers to not need to be serrated.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@Ironhandjohn

No all the G17's come with smooth triggers the G19's on the other hand have a serrated trigger to help qualify them for imports. The G17's have enough points that the triggers to not need to be serrated.
View Quote

Yep. But the smooth trigger/bar from the 17 drops right in to the 19.....

And the USA made Glocks; most are exported because Glock can sell to more customers coming from the USA.
Some countries embargo Austrian weapons because of past history.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. But the smooth trigger/bar from the 17 drops right in to the 19.....

And the USA made Glocks; most are exported because Glock can sell to more customers coming from the USA.
Some countries embargo Austrian weapons because of past history.
View Quote

OH YEAH it does..... It is a must change for me when I get a compact or sub Glock.  I hate the ribbed trigger especially when I shoot more than a 100 rounds in a range session when usually I shoot 200-500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top