Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/11/2017 7:38:44 PM EDT
Has Glock fixed the btf issue yet? Sold my 19 last year when I couldn't get it figured out
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My new 17L is quite reliable at tossing brass strait up and strait back 1 to 3 feet. So I'm thinking nope
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I own 15 none of mine do it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't had this issue either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
124gr ammo solved the very, very infrequent BTF issues I had with my G19.4
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#5]
What is btf?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is btf?
View Quote

Brass To Face
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, you get a free hat with each new purchase
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, you get a free hat with each new purchase
View Quote

Optional bucket hat for reloaders?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a new G19 and G34 MOS. Neither has had that issue.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Recently acquired a 19 and a 26, both gen 4.

Closing in on 1k rounds each, and have never experienced btf.

Eta: I only use 124 or 147 grain loads, fwiw.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Five (5) Gen 4, one (1) Gen 3. No issues with BTF 9mm, 357 Sig, 40cal.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Its you, not the gun.
View Quote

Nah, while none of my G4s do it, there's been enough here that it happens.  If you happen to win the lottery and get one, replace the extractor and keep the old one as a spare.  I suppose some might take a little more though.  

It's not just a Glock thing... a buddy of mine just bought an HK that does it reliably as well.  I used to have a Kimber 45 that would put a hot shell down my t-shirt ... not fun.... made for an entertaining range session for my wife.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The 19 I got for my son last year dont have any issues.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its you, not the gun.
View Quote

Of course it is.
That's why my gen3 17 that I've had for 10yrs doesn't btf, it's also why my gen3 34 that I've had for 5yrs doesn't btf nor my gen4 26 that I've had for 8 months. But a recent manufacture gen3 17L giving the btf is probably my lack glock shootability
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
It's common but fixable. Don't let the fanbois blame it on you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I only have a few glock and have not had any issues with BTF so I am lucky I guess.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]
This fall I bought a beat-up Gen 2 G17 that gives me BTTF, with all bullet weights from 115gr to 147, with both reloads and factory ammo, brass-case and steel-case, hollowpoints and ball.

When I got it, it had a broken recoil spring guide rod and a badly corroded recoil spring.  So I replaced those.  Still got BTTF.  Looked at the ejector vs. the ejector in the parts diagrams and determined the ejector was not shaped like the one in the picture and appeared to be somewhat bent.  Replaced with new Gen 3 ejector, Gen 2 parts not being available.  Still got BTTF.  Replaced extractor, extractor plunger, and extractor spring.  Still got BTTF.

Just sent gun back to Glock and got it back.  The letter with it says they replaced the extractor plunger, the firing pin, the striker, the disconnector, and the magazine.

Took it to a range to test it on Saturday.  And I still get BTTF.

I have shot other Glock handguns, and those didn't give me BTTF.  I have let people suggesting it might be the way I'm holding it shoot it also, and it gives them BTTF too.

I am starting to get just a wee bit frustrated.  I just want to be able to shoot it without wearing a full-face motorcycle helmet.

ETA:  status update.  I just ran 100 rounds of Winchester "NATO" 124gr ball through it.  Now it usually lofts the cases up high enough that they drop on the top of my head or fall behind me instead of smacking me right between the eyes, which it previously did 10+ times in every magazine.  Usually.  After that I tried some Russian steelcase and found that fewer of them were ejecting straight back at me.  Maybe the new parts are wearing in.  I hope so.

ETA:  status update.  As of 05/06/2017 I have run 500 rounds through it.  Several ejected cases in each mag are still thrown right at my eyes.  It doesn't matter whether I hold the gun in a death-grip or deliberately limp-wrist it by shooting it weak hand only.  It doesn't matter whether it's Winchester White Box, IMI SMG ammo, or Russian steelcase.  All bullet weights and types from 115-147 grains are affected, all brands, with no difference from one to the next that I can detect.  This irritates me because otherwise the gun runs well, with no feed problems or failures to eject, and I shoot it fairly well with the stock sights and stock trigger.  I am not sure what else to do at this point.  I'm starting to wonder if I should just switch back to revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#19]
My gen3 g34 did it up until I had around 500 rds through it. Had t done it since and has almost 10k through it now.
  I say shoot it more before you give up. Unless it's every single rd.
To be honest I barely notice it happening when it actually did. I wear a hat and safety glasses when competing and it never really bothered me anyway.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Unless you plan on putting on safety glasses before using your Glock in a defensive situation, and never wear a loose fitting shirt, BTF does matter. It's also natural to flinch when something comes flying at your face, safety glasses or not.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Its you, not the gun.
View Quote

One of my 19s had the wrong ejector in it (357 Sig).  I think QC was hungover that day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#23]
My 19.4 I got in September did it but it's doing it less the more it breaks in.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Its you, not the gun.
View Quote

Nope

I refuse to buy a new Glock until they can unfuck the whole issue. Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it isn't a huge QC issue.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nope

I refuse to buy a new Glock until they can unfuck the whole issue. Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean it isn't a huge QC issue.
View Quote

X2
It's NOT just 9mm.  My G41 does it since rd1.  My gen 4 G22's(2 of them) developed it after over 500rds.
My older gen 3 G17, G19, G27 have NEVER done it with thousands of rounds.
If you get a new Glock & it doesn't do it GREAT.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a bunch of Gen 3 19's (9 of them at the moment). 8 of them eject just fine. One of them, I swear it's like they engineered it to eject the brass dead center at my forehead, right between the eyes. It's kinda funny at how consistent it is. Last couple time I came home with several small cuts right in the middle of my forehead from the spinning brass.

So I am going through the usual stuff. Tried a new extractor and gen 3 ejector. Seems a little better but not great yet. Might try swapping in the gen 4 ejector soon.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Its you, not the gun.
View Quote

I have owned 11 glocks since buying my first, a gen 2 g23 in 1995. Currently own 5. Never had the btf or jamming problem with any of my gen 2 or 3 guns with over 40000 rounds thru them combined(9mm, 10mm, .45 and .40). Have owned both g17 and 19 gen 4 and got random btf and jams. Not any particular load, it has happened with 115 fm just practice stuff, 115+p+, 124 fmj, 147 fmj and jhp.

It's not me. It's the gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Its you, not the gun.
View Quote

Somehow I limp wristed or improperly gripped only one Glock out of several and would correctly grip other, identical 9mm Glocks. I always failed to grip that one pistol correctly and got consistent BtF and 360 degree ejection. Fortunately swapping the extractor out fixed my grip on that particular pistol and made it match the grip I used on other, identical pistols.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Brand new 19 with a couple hundred wwb 115gr. No issue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Has Glock fixed the btf issue yet? Sold my 19 last year when I couldn't get it figured out
View Quote

I didn't know it needed fixing.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:25:09 AM EDT
[#31]
EVERY Glock has damn weak ejection. Its a design fault. The system relies on the magazine and the top round to get empty cases out. You can fix your Glock by going with the Apex extractor, Apex spring and non-loaded chamber indicator bearing
in combination with the new 30274 Ejector.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#32]
My gen4 21 yesterday ran a couple hundred of my handloads. didnt get hit once
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I have two different gen 4's, one in 40 and one in 9. Between the two, I have close to 4k rounds through them over the last two years. I've never take brass to the face.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
EVERY Glock has damn weak ejection. Its a design fault. The system relies on the magazine and the top round to get empty cases out. You can fix your Glock by going with the Apex extractor, Apex spring and non-loaded chamber indicator bearing
View Quote
That's not a fix for all guns.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#35]
As someone who has had this issue I must chime in.

This Brass to the face issue isn't just BTF its also erratic even what I call WTFE. AS in What The Fuck Ejection. Glock does not know how to fix it nor will say it even exist. You will get a we have never heard of that. Its enough that its pissed off armorers that work for them so much that turn over was high for a time. I don't know what the turnover is now but it was an issue.

Lets go back to the phase 3 malfunctions of the 19's and the EH series prefix guns rail breakage. Glock didn't even acknowledge it and covered it up as best they could to kept it quite.

Phase 3 malfunctions in Glock 19's at the NYPD yeah How did that work out for them. They replaced only the bad guns first then finally after lots of WTF WTF WTF Glock replaced them all. AFTER the NYPD called Ruger. WTF its bad and they wouldn't get off their ass and catch a clue. Were they more scared the bad press or that the Rugers would have worked right the first time. WTF Again WTF.

I know of a swat officer that had an EH prefix glock loose a rail. On the range at swat training day the guns groups go from expected to shotgun pattern. WTF several people fired it same thing. WTF WTF.  Slide comes off frame rail is gone UH OH OH SNAP!!!!    So glock replaces it.  Another gun in the team has the same problem. Yes Same EH prefix also.  WTF WTF WTF WTF!!!!!!  He started carrying a 1911 and took a 1911 armorers course so he could work on his on gun. Yes the dept authorized it. I heard about it from him and then I started hearing about it on the web 6 months later. They knew but didn't act. Didn't even call it a recall but an Upgrade.

Now on to me.
I had two Consecutive serial numbered Glock 19's brought off armorers certificate coupons.  They were sweet blue label guns that had Trijicon's on them from the factory. I hit the range the next day. WTFE it was all over the place. To the face, dribble out of the gun, straight up, forward downrange, and the dreaded to the left. YES they actually ejected to the LEFT!!  Both of them!!  To the LEFT!!  WTF!!  To the LEFT!!!!!!!This was my first personal taste of it. SO down the rabbit whole I went straight to hell.  I tried everything I knew of ammo, parts, mags, cleaning,  nothing helped I then gave up and took the two of them to Glock.
Fixed they said, never do it again they said, but you said the issue didn't exist, well it won't do it now.  SO back to the range. FUCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God dammit mother fuckers. YES same problems now only one gun would throw them left. The other gun still had the same problems it had when I took it to them. FUCK this and sold them both at a gun show for what I paid for them.

Then came the Glock 17 Gen 4, yes like the battered wife, I went back again a couple of years later thinking they had got their shit wired right.  Last try Glock Took it to Glock Had Trijicon's put on it and hit the range. IT worked oh snap it works hot damn praise the lord pass the collection plate with the big Glock on it. Ran about 1000 rounds through it........  AND THEN FUCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!
Brass to the face and weird ejection.  Didn't even give glock the time of day sold it at a gun show and said fuck them. Took what parts I had and made a  kit to respring the wifes 3rd gen 19 and some extra parts that were pre MIM. Couple of years ago I replaced all the springs in the gun it had about 7 or 8 thousand rounds through it.

We tried the Glock 43's but the wifes shoulder surgery killed that idea.  Sold them both. OH well I guess I am now done with Glock. Its really a shame to.

I have two HK VP9's now.  Haven't looked back. I hit better with the HK's and will be staying with the HK's unless the CZ P10C gives me the warm fuzzy.

Last I heard it was the slides. Some people started swapping out parts on know good guns with the BTF guns. The problems stayed with the uppers. So parts started getting taken out and turns out it was the slides in those particular guns that were bad.
Now is it the CNC machines, the steel, the finish, heat treat, or what. The numbers on the slide mean something but only glock knows what they mean and how to apply it to learning WTF is going on. Yet they won't even acknowledge it. Fuck'em.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I have more Glocks than I care to count. The 9mm Glocks have more of an erratic ejection pattern than other calibers. Probably due to the huge variations in 9mm ammo. This includes my Gen 2 G17, especially with early 10 round mags. With full power ammo it tends to go away. Some do it and some don't. I was shooting a bastard G17 yesterday, made up of mix matched slide, frame (from a G37) and barrel and I had a few casings (2-3 out of 100 rounds fired) hit me in the forehead or top of head. So I know it's time to clean the extractor and internals and problem will go away.

None of my 40 cal guns do it and eject very strong and positive to 3-4 o'clock. My G20 will put the casings in a bucket at my 4 o'clock all day long. None of my little G43's have any BTF problems. The absolute worst is my G37. It will consistently eject to the LEFT!!! and will also hit my forehead. The big fat .45 GAP cases hitting my face actually hurt unlike the tiny 9mm cases. I sent it to Glock but even after I got it back, consistent BTF.

So, I will say that if your Glock gives you 2-3 casings to your forehead every 50 rounds, it's "normal" for a Glock 9mm. If you are getting 2-3 BTF PER MAGAZINE, or you get casings that just dribble out, it's one of the mysterious problem Glocks which may be easily fixed with a new ejector (most likely), extractor (not likely unless it's an earlier gun in the M prefix), or it can never be fixed and it's fucked.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#37]
oops.  Tried to edit my post and duplicated it instead.

Sorry, guys.  If a mod wants to delete this, I have no objections.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#38]
My 2012-made G4 19 would sling brass straight back when using one particular brand/weight of ammo, CCI Lawman 115gr. FMJ. I've shot that particular brand through several other 9mm handguns, and none of them exhibited the same wonky ejection pattern as the G19. Every other brand and bullet weight, from 95gr. to 147gr., ran without a single hiccup or issue.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I bought a new G17 last April, serial # prefix of BBHB. It doesn't have the BTF problem, it has a BTTOH problem. That is, Brass To Top of Head. It's been a dribbler since day one, and at least one or two cases per magazine bounce off the top of my head. It ejects, and I use that term loosely, all the brass just a few inches from my right foot, and I'm a left-handed shooter.

Limp wristing you say? Bullshit. My 2002 G19 flings brass almost as hard as my 4" 1911. My RTF2 G17 has no problems with ejection at all. I bought it new in early 2012 and it has a prefix of NSS. I had a pre-1994 Gen. 2 G19 that didn't have those problems either. Whatever Glock f'd up around the 2011 time frame I wish they'd go back and undo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Its you, not the gun.
View Quote

Not true. I had one of those Austrian marked Obama scare Gen 3 19s I bought brand new that constantly pelted my forehead with brass. I'm not saying I'm Jerry Miculek, but I shoot well enough my agency made me a firearms instructor. You could hold that fucker on a sand bag and it would fling brass straight back into your forehead.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought a new G17 last April, serial # prefix of BBHB. It doesn't have the BTF problem, it has a BTTOH problem. That is, Brass To Top of Head. It's been a dribbler since day one, and at least one or two cases per magazine bounce off the top of my head. It ejects, and I use that term loosely, all the brass just a few inches from my right foot, and I'm a left-handed shooter.

Limp wristing you say? Bullshit. My 2002 G19 flings brass almost as hard as my 4" 1911. My RTF2 G17 has no problems with ejection at all. I bought it new in early 2012 and it has a prefix of NSS. I had a pre-1994 Gen. 2 G19 that didn't have those problems either. Whatever Glock f'd up around the 2011 time frame I wish they'd go back and undo.
View Quote
It was before that, see my post above. My Austrian marked Gen 3 19 was ridiculous with the brass to the face.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My gen4 21 yesterday ran a couple hundred of my handloads. didnt get hit once
View Quote

New gen4 34 last week.
Out of 80 wwb i had one hit my cheek.
The rest i tried consisting of coated handloads, fmj pulls, and rem 115fmj ejected clean. Tatal rounds approx 200 again.
I can live with 1/2 a percent
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Once Glock fixes btf, count me in on 2 19s. Till then, I'll stick with my vp9s
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#44]
I get btf about 3 rounds out of 100, with 115 grain practice ammo. The exterior side of the chamber and the side of slide always have lots of brass chips and scuff marks, so I wonder if the ejection port may be slightly too tall, which causes the ejectected care to hit it and cause erratic ejection.

None of my other pistols do this, or leave a lot of brass skidmarks on the slide and chamber.  Since it only happens 3 percent of the time to me I live with it. Gun is a 19.4.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#45]
~100 or so rounds of 115 grain wwb through the my new G4 19, no brass ever hit me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Two G19's, a G17, and my duty G22; all Gen 4's. No issues.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Two G19's, a G17, and my duty G22; all Gen 4's. No issues.
View Quote

G19, G17, G22 and G26 all Gen 4 and no issues...and I shoot them plenty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#48]
It sounds like this issue is kind of hit-and-miss; no real rhyme or reason. Some do it, to different degrees, and some don't. I recently purchased a new gen3 G19 and noticed the ejected brass came close to me (bounced off my shoulder) once but none hit me in the face. I've read it could get better as the gun is fired and broken in; I've read it will never get better; I've read that it still does it occasionally even after replacing all related parts. 

It's a mystery to me, but I still like my Glocks... 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably not, but it worked for me too.  My Gen3 19 was fine for the first couple thousand but at around 4,000 rounds, it would kiss me in the face several times a mag very consistently.  An APEX extractor and 30274 ejector later, and the I've taken one to the face (lulz) once in 6,000.  That's a pretty drastic change.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#50]
My early Gen 4 - 19 did it on occasion, every couple hundred rounds.  Replaced with an Apex about 5K rounds ago and it's happened maybe once or twice.

My Gen 4 - 34 does it maybe once every 1,000 rounds.  

Buddies new 19 does it, he doesn't even notice it - then again he doesn't go looking for problems online.

The last thing I care about it getting beamed in the forehead with a piece of brass, I just want my gun to run when I need it to and Glock does that.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top