Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2016 4:51:56 PM EDT
Gone are the days of "hey, put these on and they work".  I am finding way too many Glocks now are requiring something other than the industry standard ".215 front with a .250 rear".  Virtually every single Gen 4 Glock I own shoots high with that combo to the tune of 3-6 inches at 25 yards.  Please complete the following list as best as you can so we can hopefully get some good data for where Glocks actually hit, so you don't do what I am doing, and waste a ton of time/money just trying to get these things dialed in.  I am going to go this weekend with all of my Glocks and hopefully get a good list going, and will take my rest to really get these dialed in.  If anyone has additional sight radius info they would like me to add, please let me know and I can edit it in here.

Sight Radius List:

G19: 5.98"
G17: 6.50"
G34: 7.32"

Dawson Sight Calculator

Blank:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generation:
Model:
Ammo Weight:
Rear sight height:
Front sight height:
Distance shot:
Point of impact relative to top of front sight:

Additional Comments:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example/my G17 from today's debacle.

Generation: 4
Model: 17
Ammo Weight: 115
Rear sight height: .250 10-8
Front sight height: .215 Dawson F/O
Distance shot: 25 yards
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: +4 inches

Additional Comments: Shot off hand, and confirmed prone supported
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a thread that needs to be tacked!

I have spent a fortune on sights over the years to get POA/POI down and almost all of them are different!..... with that said this might help folks get up and running.

#1 (still own)
Model:17
Ammo Weight: 115 grain
Rear sight height: .250 10-8 rear sight
Front sight height: .220 Ameriglo ProGlo front sight
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: hits 1" high and is pretty much "on" for all practical plate shooting from 5-50 yards (hold slightly higher at 50 on 1/4 size ipsc silhouettes).

Additional Comments: I went through three heights with this pistol to find the sweet spot for me
First go was a .215 10-8 front which didn't cut it then a .245 front which inverted the .215 results. Finally with the .220 it got me where I needed

# 2 (still own)
Model: 19
Rear sight height: .250 10-8 rear
Front sight height: .220 Ameriglo ProGlo
Distance shot: 10 yards
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: POA is POI

Additional Comments: This one took some more trial and error and I originally started off with a complete set from Dawson.
Per their recommendations I went with the .215 matched with their .250 rear, it was off. I called Dawson and they sent a .235 front sight as part of their impact guarantee, it was dead on for 25y, but most of my shooting with this was in the 5-15 yard range so I pulled the .220 off the 17 above and slapped it on the 19 to see how it shot..... perfectly! So I ordered another .220 front and called it a day.

# 3 (still own)
Generation: 3
Rear sight height: .250
Front sight height: .215
Distance shot: 15y
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: dead on

Additional Comments:

# 4
Model: 34
Front sight height: .245 10-8 F/O
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: POA was POI at 25 y

Additional Comments: none - the only time its been 100% out of the box for me

Generation: 3
Front sight height: .230 F/O dawson
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: POA was POI at 25 yards

Additional Comments: I tried a .245 all black blade but was off and the .230 brought it where it needed
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a thread that needs to be tacked!

I have spent a fortune on sights over the years to get POA/POI down and almost all of them are different!..... with that said this might help folks get up and running.

View Quote

Thanks a ton for that, I am currently in the market for my first set of FO sights and this should help a lot. Im used to my HDs, so im looking for POA/POI with the fibers as well.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Nobody else has any relevant data to share?  Or is it that nobody shoots at 25 yards so nobody actually knows?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#4]
some manufacturers size their sights for different types of holds as well.  OEM sights are calibrated for a center hold (top of front sight blade bisects target) at 25m (27yds) but Trijicon makes their sights so that  the front dot covers POI
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The following results are with S3F barrels, which during all of my testing, have the exact same POI as factory barrels.

Ammo Weight: 115 AE, 147 RA9T
Rear sight height: .2970
Front sight height:  .2920
Distance shot: 20 yards
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: 115- 1.0 inch high, RA9T perfect

Additional Comments:  Adjustable Dawson sights- to get the most precise measurements, sights were measured off the height of the slide- rear sight is bottomed out, maybe one more click possible- front sight is a .300 height sight.

----------------------------------

Model: 17
Ammo Weight: 115 AE, 124 Gold Dot, RA9T
Front sight height: .245
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: 115 AE 1.5-2 high, RA9T 1 inch high, 124 Gold Dot perfect

Additional Comments: Good balance between all ammo weights

Ammo Weight: 115 AE, 124 gold dots
Front sight height:  .215
Distance shot:  20 yards
Point of impact relative to top of front sight:  AE115 4-6 inches high, GD 124 5 inches high

Additional Comments:  Both ammo shot also average 1 inch left.  Measured distance of rear sight, gap on right side from rear sight to end of slide .1415, distance on left .1205.  Rear sight will be centered, and moved apx .010 to accomplish this, which mathematically will give me centered POI/POA with a centered rear sight; always good to see when errors can be accounted for.

Extra .245 front sight ordered, which will drop POI 4 inches at 20 yards per Dawson, which will put it where most of my other Glocks are impacting.

Ammo Weight:  115 AE, RA9T
Front sight height: .215, replaced with .245 while at range
Point of impact relative to top of front sight:  AE115 5-6 inches high.  Replaced front sight with .245, shot RA9T, one inch high

Additional Comments:  NA

Generation: 17
Model: 4
Ammo Weight:  115 AE
Rear sight height:  .305
Front sight height: .295
Distance shot: 20 y
Point of impact relative to top of front sight: 1.5 inches high

Additional Comments: Has S3F black nitride barrel installed.  Of course I forgot to shoot other ammo, but the RA9T is consistently hitting a touch lower than 115, so I am leaving as is adjustment wise; this barrel also put 7 rounds of AE115 into a 1 inch group, so its apparently the only barrel I have that likes 115 ball ammo.

My conclusion is that with the way I see sights, .245 height fronts work the best with .250 rear sights; based on my math, this combo would also be perfect on my G34. I also had a slight tendency to shoot my buddies guns higher than they did off the rest; bottom line is you need to test your gear and see where it hits for you.  I did test all of these off hand after bagging them and with the exception of my G19 that required the rear sight to be adjusted, which I did not do at the range, was able to keep all offhand shots with AE115 on the head portion of an IDPA cardboard target.  With the G19 with the off center sight, I missed a few shots just left.

AE 115 also had about an average grouping of 3.5 inches.  RA9T and speer Gold dot never shot a grouping larger than 2 inches outer edge to outer edge. Most of them were stacking rounds when I did my part.  All testing was performed sitting, off of a bench, rested on a bunny-ear style rear rifle bag.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
how about trying with the OEM sights to see how they compare?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how about trying with the OEM sights to see how they compare?
View Quote

Picking up another 19 here this week, I'll try that gun with stock sights with the factory barrel, and an S3F just to see what it does.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#8]
The factory night sights and Meprolight both hit high for me at 7 yards.
At 7 yards I want to aim on, not 6 o'clock.
XS Big Dot and Truglo TFO allow me to aim on and basically hit POA.
This is generally true for Glock 43, 21, 22, 30, bullet weight can alter it a bit more (230 gr. impact a bit higher than 185)
Don't know about 25 yard POA/POI, but I know what works at 7 yards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The factory night sights and Meprolight both hit high for me at 7 yards.

At 7 yards I want to aim on, not 6 o'clock.

XS Big Dot and Truglo TFO allow me to aim on and basically hit POA.

This is generally true for Glock 43, 21, 22, 30, bullet weight can alter it a bit more (230 gr. impact a bit higher than 185)

Don't know about 25 yard POA/POI, but I know what works at 7 yards.
View Quote

in my experience, Glock OEM sights work like this:  at close range (up to 7 yds) use sight picture #0.  For 15-25 yds use sight picture #1

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
in my experience, Glock OEM sights work like this:  at close range (up to 7 yds) use sight picture #0.  For 15-25 yds use sight picture #1
View Quote

None of my Glocks have the regular factory plastic sights.
My standard new Glock "enhancements" include: install night sights, steel striker & extractor, and remove finger grooves (protrusions) - most likely before a round has ever been fired.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:34:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

My standard new Glock "enhancements" include: install night sights, steel striker & extractor, and remove finger grooves (protrusions) - most likely before a round has ever been fired.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it applies to Glock factory steel and night sights as well

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#12]
The factory Glock sights typically hit high at 7 yards IME.
XS Big Dot and Truglo TFO typically hit on at 7 yards IME.
99.87% of my shooting is double taps at 7 yards.
I sometimes use a timer, when I do I only count the pair to be averaged if both shots hit a 6" circle stuck on a larger silhouette.
It's not horseshoes, 1" away from circle is a miss (may be good hit on larger silhouette, but that doesn't matter, it's out).
With a Glock 19, average split times of quarter second with 6" accuracy stipulation are doable - if the pistol hits on.
Put Meprolight on a Glock 23 and it will almost assuredly have a high POI at 7 yards, causing some shots to be over top of the circle (shooting double taps).
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#13]
A picture is worth a thousand words:

image by Photographer  Pilot, on Flickr

Definitaly not my best shooting, but it's what I recorded today.

Stock Glock 19, Taran Tactical F/O sights

Front .235"

Rear .245"

Ammo: 115gr Blazer Brass

Distance: 5, 10, 15, 25 yards.  

image by Photographer  Pilot, on Flickr

Even worse shooting.  Ugggh.  

Stock Glock 17, Taran Tactical F/O Sights

Front .235"

Rear .245"

Ammo: 115gr Nevada Cartridge Company

Distance:5, 10, 15, 25 yards.  

Realized afterwards, that the set screw was loose on the rear sight, so the sight was loose and shifting.  But that only accounts for the horizontal dispersion, not for the vertical.  So, basically, I suck.  And I so,ehow suck more with the 17 than the 19.

Also should mention, for all shots, I was "driving the dot".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top