Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2016 12:08:10 AM EDT
When I am out shooting I am focusing on my control and grip so Ill start out thumbs forward and fairly relaxed but most of the time by the end of the magazine ill be pinching my thumbs against the frame trying to get as much control as possible. This leads to the slide not locking back sometimes. Is their any technique or method you guys use to resolve this. Maybe an extend release would help me. I know it sounds counter productive but I am thinking if I feel it more ill be more aware of it.

Advice is appreciated as always.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Try putting your right thumb more on the outside of your left thumb than resting on top of it. Squeeze primarily with your left hand and palms, not the right thumb so much.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Have somebody else take a look at your grip. It's tough to trouble shoot yourself through video/internet.

Also, try to put your support thumb further forward on the frame. When people do frame stippling, that's typically one of the areas that gets reduced and textured specifically for thumb placement.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Grip Force adapter plus use the Glock low profile slide stop. I wish they'd make a version of the Grip Force with a little thumbrest bump where a 1911 safety would be.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Edited.  This isn't GD.  - DV8
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:30:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Seen this from Frank Proctor?  About 10:30 in..

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqJc_hjaQ0
View Quote

"Most likely it's you that's the problem"

bzzt.

It's a firearm design problem.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:06:27 AM EDT
[#7]

This is the only pic (not mine) I could find demonstrating the hand position. See how far forward the support hand thumb is? That and your palm what you want to put the pressure on the frame. Your strong hand thumb will rest on the base of your support thumb. It's almost impossible to catch the slide stop with your hands like this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

bzzt.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bzzt.

If you watch the video a bit after that, Frank shows you how to correct your grip issue. I too used to have this problem until I fixed my grip.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you watch the video a bit after that, Frank shows you how to correct your grip issue. I too used to have this problem until I fixed my grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bzzt.

You shouldn't have to fix your grip.

The pistol, almost with almost all others on the market, is not designed properly for a modern thumbs-forward grip.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]
try this

Works for me
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
try this
Works for me
View Quote

Those are a good idea but only move forward like 1/8 inch or something, half the width of the slide stop. I'd like to see them go a little further forward. It does help some though especially if you have shorter thumbs and/or in combination with the Grip Force as I mentioned before.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Grip Force adapter plus use the Glock low profile slide stop. I wish they'd make a version of the Grip Force with a little thumbrest bump where a 1911 safety would be.
View Quote

Like this?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

When your thumbs are so long, the tip of your thumb is even with the breech face (like in the pic a few posts up), you can't avoid this problem. This Proctor video is solid info. I have a few shooting partners who have similar issues due to long thumbs, and they have been able to alleviate trapping the slide release under their thumb by moving it over their support hand as demonstrated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The pistol, almost with almost all others on the market, is not designed properly for a modern thumbs-forward grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bzzt.

I have to disagree with you man, myself and tons of others have no issue with a proper grip and not hitting the slide stop on a Glock
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I went thru a weird short period where I was doing this, then I stopped. It's software, not hardware.  I didn't watch the video, and maybe it's addressed, but apply more pressure with support hand and tone it down with strong hand.  Saying glocks aren't designed for modern shooting grips is imo
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the info. My grip looks to be correct. My thumb just rest right at the slide release. Any I'll look into the options you all presented.

One thing I was doing was moving my rear thumb away from the slide but it always wonders back towards the slide by the time the clip is empty.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I never have  problems  using the old fashioned method of gripping a pistol with your strong hand like gripping a hammer. The support hand at the 8 -9 oclock position. How this thumbs forward stuff started for a combat pistol im not really sure but it seems like it doesnt really allow a firm grip on the pistol and causes issues.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I never have  problems  using the old fashioned method of gripping a pistol with your strong hand like gripping a hammer. The support hand at the 8 -9 oclock position. How this thumbs forward stuff started for a combat pistol im not really sure but it seems like it doesnt really allow a firm grip on the pistol and causes issues. How do you hold the pistol when shooting one handed," thumb " forward ?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have to disagree with you man, myself and tons of others have no issue with a proper grip and not hitting the slide stop on a Glock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bzzt.

For me a Glock is a lot better than some other guns.  Try not to ride a slide stop on an M9 with a thumbs forward grip.  I think there are a few others that would fall into the category of easy to ride.  You have to move your thumb.  It's just that simple.  

kyledefoortalksaboutitinthisvideo
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:53:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info. My grip looks to be correct. My thumb just rest right at the slide release. Any I'll look into the options you all presented.

One thing I was doing was moving my rear thumb away from the slide but it always wonders back towards the slide by the time the clip is empty.
View Quote

Make sure that you are indexing your support hand thumb forward on the frame, and the palm of your support hand should more or less cover up the slide stop. Then you can just rest your strong thumb over the top of it, and shouldn't have any more issues. Hope this helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top