Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 11:29:00 PM EDT
Anyone else seeing rust on their Gen 4's? I've owned many glocks over the last 10 years and my gen 4 26 is the first one I've ever had rust. It's right where the slide runs on my kydex IWB holster. Kinda disappointing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
That Sucks
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#2]
All I own are Gen 4's. No rust issues at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes.
G22 with rust forming around the barrel lock up and the slide.  Also near the muzzle on the barrel and at the end of the slide.  Not on one, but several from the same batch.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes.
G22 with rust forming around the barrel lock up and the slide.  Also near the muzzle on the barrel and at the end of the slide.  Not on one, but several from the same batch.
View Quote

My understanding is that there was a bad finish batch In the last few years as glock was transitioning to a more environmentally friendly "tennifer" finish.  Contact Glock and they will take care of you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
No, but I also wipe mine down periodically. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#7]
No rust, but just picked up my first USA Glock, G22.4

The finish seems thinner or something.  It doesn't look like it's as durable as my other Gen 4s.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My understanding is that there was a bad finish batch In the last few years as glock was transitioning to a more environmentally friendly "tennifer" finish.  
View Quote

any more info on this such as serial # range affected?  My G19.4 is 2012 and the finish is good but I wonder...
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

any more info on this such as serial # range affected?  My G19.4 is 2012 and the finish is good but I wonder...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is that there was a bad finish batch In the last few years as glock was transitioning to a more environmentally friendly "tennifer" finish.  

Mine was made 31/Oct/2014 and I have sweat like a pig, get mine wet shooting in rain(did nothing special after shooting just put my carry ammo back in and dropped into holster), I keep in the bathroom with me when I shower(high humidity), I live in S. Texas also hot and humid, and zero rust.  I do know those who carry in leather holster who do not treat their leather have a high risk of rust because how leather soaks up salts from sweat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My understanding is that there was a bad finish batch In the last few years as glock was transitioning to a more environmentally friendly "tennifer" finish.  Contact Glock and they will take care of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Good to know. My 14 month old G26 has rust and IMO it shouldn't. I just haven't called Glock yet to complain about it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I too find the rust unacceptable. Especially since you couldn't make the older models rust. I called Glock today and they more or less said to piss off. Said they are rust resistant, not rust proof. Said to send it in though and they would make a determination on it. My old glocks had a bombproof finish and I never once seen rust in them. I have no idea what they are doing to the finish now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I too find the rust unacceptable. Especially since you couldn't make the older models rust. I called Glock today and they more or less said to piss off. Said they are rust resistant, not rust proof. Said to send it in though and they would make a determination on it. My old glocks had a bombproof finish and I never once seen rust in them. I have no idea what they are doing to the finish now.
View Quote

Since the well worn finish is an option some choose on having gun koted, we need a rust option kote as well.
Or combine the two, well worn and rusty..that would be sweet.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Have many never had any.  Have seen it on M&Ps even seldom used ones.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have the details other than a larger LE agency in NC had to work with Glock to resolve their problems due to the finishing process issue I mentioned.  Glock can identify the batch by the serial number when you call them.  Sorry I can't give you more info.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

The old ones will rust also, but it takes a lot. My gen 3 after about 15 years of carry working on the farm.
DSC01580 by , on Flickr" />

DSC01582 by , on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I haven't had any issues with my gen4's personally.

Last weekend my brother mentioned he had rust in his G26gen4, wonder if they had a batch of 26's that may have had a finish that was somehow compromised?

~g
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Cerakote it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Cerakote it.
View Quote

This cures rest quick. Ive had to resort to it a couple of times.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Cerakote is probably the route I will go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Does the pistol rub against your skin on hot days? That helps it to do this with the salty perspiration from you skin..
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine is rusted on the side that's away from my body. The finish seems thin and not very durable compared to the older guns.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I have no rust issue with any of my Gen4's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I just noticed a little rust on the rear of my G17 slide this morning to go along with my totally rusted Proctor rear sight.

Full disclosure:  This gun gets dry fired for about an hour a day 5-6 days a week and rarely cleaned.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#25]
All my Glocks are Gen3s and no rust issues. I have seen high wear areas on Glock start to rust on our S.O. ones. Got to beat the general maintenance and care of firearms into the rookies especially here in Florida. I've seen some pretty poor unit come into the training area.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

I gave my gen4's a wipe down the other day, thankfully no rust not even my high round 34.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a new Gen 3 G17 in April, and the slide rusts fairly easily. My fourteen year old G19 slide doesn't rust at all (except for the bore) when I sweat all over it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a Glock lover so seeing rust on them really sucks. I also do cerakote so I've seen my fair share of rust on older model guns.

I'd like to help you guys out. Let's say the first... 5 people who are suffering from some rust on their slide who IM me, I'll refinish your slide in a single color (Unless you have something else in mind?) for free, just cover return shipping. Yes it includes the sand blasting and all prep. But if there's large pitted areas you may wanna go through Glock. They may replace the whole slide as opposed to trying to repair it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:59:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm a Glock lover so seeing rust on them really sucks. I also do cerakote so I've seen my fair share of rust on older model guns.

I'd like to help you guys out. Let's say the first... 5 people who are suffering from some rust on their slide who IM me, I'll refinish your slide in a single color (Unless you have something else in mind?) for free, just cover return shipping. Yes it includes the sand blasting and all prep. But if there's large pitted areas you may wanna go through Glock. They may replace the whole slide as opposed to trying to repair it.
View Quote

That's pretty fucking cool!  Good on ya.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#30]
No rust, but the G43 I currently own and the Gen 4 19 I used to own both experienced significant premature finish wear compared to the 2s and 3s. I don't mind it much, though rust I certainly would.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just trying to help out where I can.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I have owned dozens of Glocks. Live in the humid South and have not had problems with rust. I carry my guns in leather and keep them wiped down with either FP10 or Slip 2000.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#33]
The offer still stands if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:44:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Still willing to help if anyone is out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top