Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2016 6:55:23 PM EDT
Have had many glocks and not so many now but just picked up a USA g19 gen 4 Talo and after looking it over after I got home out of the box the finish is crappy, a few scratches that I didn't notice after they grabbed one out of the back and looked it over kinda quickly, but didn't think much about the finish..
Also after one range session and cleaning I see more scratches and a big blemish on the front along with tiny looking pits, that almost look rusty already .

Been carrying a older gen 4 with the shiny'er finish for a while now and it's been banged around and such, and not a damn mark on it..this new guns finish is beyond crap.. And I know some will say it's a glock blah blah , but I want to be the one beating it up and scratching it not out of the box new with blemishes, pits and scratches...I look/handle the damn thing and it seems like it instantly scratches etc..

What is up with this, never had a glock with this crappy if a finish ...

Anything glock will do about it? Not so happy about it
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Not normal, can you post pictures?

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Sell it and buy a nickel plated sissy pistol.

Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
That has to be the funniest and most memorable scene from usmarshals
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It definitely is not the glock frying pan finish of the past. It does appear to be melonited under the phosphate non reflective coating. The coating rubs and scratches off easily. Looks pretty good after brushing the phosphate off.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Pics
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup noticed that all my newer ones have a shit finish, not the old semi gloss last forever finish they used to have
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The tenifer/melonite finish from the US made glocks lacks due to epa regulations on the chemicals used in the process.

The ones made in Austria do not have this problem.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The tenifer/melonite finish from the US made glocks lacks due to epa regulations on the chemicals used in the process.

View Quote

Not true they are the same process.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not true for several reasons. First, Tennifer isn't a finish, it's a metal treatment applied to the bare metal.

Second, Glock stopped using Tennifer GLOBALLY in 2010. All guns, regardless of where they are made, are made exactly the same, with the same materials, and the same specs.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:10:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sell it and buy a nickel plated sissy pistol.

https://armedrobbery.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/sissypistol.jpg

View Quote

Props to you - best post I've seen all day!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Pic?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
If you think it's that bad, call Glock.

The new nitride treatment that replaced the tenifer makes the metal harder, and to my understanding is more durable. The finish may scratch, but the metal will be fine. The nitriding is a treatment, not the finish. You can actually scrub the barrel with a steel brush and the brush will wear out before the barrel.

This info came from my most recent Glock Armorers course.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Sorry been super busy and frankly kinda pissed at this and it's sitting back in the box since.

Seems all the reading I've done is its hit or miss USA and Austria marked gen 4's that get the newer look at it cross eyed its scratches or the more , much more durable tennifer or whatever coating, again I have a couple year old gen 4 -17 that's been carried lots and somewhat abused and it still looks like freaking new, this newer gen 4 is way rougher on finish and like said scratched it seems just fondling with it, plus the blotchy finish on one side and tiny spots all over it.. Wtf glock
I use my guns but I'm that guy that likes to make the scratches etc in them myself and this finish is worse then the parkerized Taiwan or whatever citadel 1911..

Reading around ( haven't contacted glock yet) but everyone who has sent in their glocks recently seem to all say they come back with the peaked finish..so to either call them or just run it or have the freaking slide cerakoted..

Quoted:

The new nitride treatment that replaced the tenifer makes the metal harder, and to my understanding is more durable. The finish may scratch, but the metal will be fine. The nitriding is a treatment, not the finish. You can actually scrub the barrel with a steel brush and the brush will wear out before the barrel.

View Quote

I don't believe this is s nitride coating have barrels, bcgs that are and this certainly looks like a good old fashioned parkerized home job..
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I will buy your defective Glock for $100.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I have never seen this fragile finish people are talking about, all my newer Glocks have had the "frying pan" finish that is super durable

Out of my collection I have had 10 Glock pistols (including issued), two of which had the old "dull" finish from the 90's (Gen2 G17 / Gen2.5 G26)

All the rest have been the frying pan finish

My most recent issue Gen4 G17 shows zero signs of wear after hundreds of draw strokes

YMMV

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sorry been super busy and frankly kinda pissed at this and it's sitting back in the box since.

Seems all the reading I've done is its hit or miss USA and Austria marked gen 4's that get the newer look at it cross eyed its scratches or the more , much more durable tennifer or whatever coating, again I have a couple year old gen 4 -17 that's been carried lots and somewhat abused and it still looks like freaking new, this newer gen 4 is way rougher on finish and like said scratched it seems just fondling with it, plus the blotchy finish on one side and tiny spots all over it.. Wtf glock
I use my guns but I'm that guy that likes to make the scratches etc in them myself and this finish is worse then the parkerized Taiwan or whatever citadel 1911..

Reading around ( haven't contacted glock yet) but everyone who has sent in their glocks recently seem to all say they come back with the peaked finish..so to either call them or just run it or have the freaking slide cerakoted..

I don't believe this is s nitride coating have barrels, bcgs that are and this certainly looks like a good old fashioned parkerized home job..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The black park finish you speak of is not the nitriding it is the surface metal that is treated and Nitrogen is injected into the surface of the metal.  Then Glock puts the black finish over that.  You are worrying about this way to much and over thinking it.  If you do not like it sell the Glock and seek out a used Glock with the frying pan finish or have it cerakoted otherwise just go on about your life because guns get scratched and wear it is not that big of a deal.  My 2ish year old G19.4 has the park finish and already has holster, scratches, and a nice silver stripe where it rides in my holster\worn from drawing.  Guess what it still shoots just as good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do now. The coatings are the same on every single gun stamped "Glock"

The old finish produced a cyanide byproduct in the manufacturing process. It was actually the Austrians who told Glock they had to not produce toxic byproducts or gtfo. In the name of staying in business, Glock changed the coatings they use. This was an across the board change.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#20]
It's wearing the paint finish off a shovel for crying out loud.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#21]
If it is pitted call Glock, there was a report on here a while back (couple years) where someone had pitting sent it back and got a new slide because the pitting was so severe under the finish.

That said mine has the "frying pan" finish and was pitted from the get go (texture hid it til rust blooms), rusts faster than my blued 1911, and has worn pretty quick, I don't care enough to send it back.

My other 17 looks like the surface treatment is just black, has no texture other than the metal texture, haven't shot it much, no wear.

End of the day if it bothers you, see if Glock will fix it, if not ceracote or sell.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a burr in one of my holsters, scraped the front end of my Gen 4 17.....

I love it.  (the burr has since been removed, but it does look like I gave the pistol an extra 5k reholsterings)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top